Pisgah trail suggestions please...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pisgah trail suggestions please...

Hey guys/gals,

I'll be heading to Pisgah for the Labor Day weekend from Chattanooga, TN. I'm looking for some trail suggestions. Very experienced, so, anything works for me. I do definately want to check out Dupont. I've done a lot of kayaking in the area, but honestly don't know too much about the trails, and what would be best to hit up for this time period. The only thing I've done nearby is the Bent Creek area near A-ville.

Route suggestions would be a plus, oh, and throw in some pics if you'd like

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Stephen

pronounced may-duh
    There are 2 group rides you could get in on

Saturday 9:00AM corn mill shoals in DuPont. For a 30+ mile DuPont epic.
    Sunday 10:00AM at Yellow Gap on FS 1206 in Pisgah for Laurel Mtn, Pilot Rock and then the slate rock inner loop.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, but, we've got a pretty decent size group as is. Probably stick to rolling solo. Any info on particular loops you'd recommend?

pronounced may-duh
    lotsa routes on the PAS site http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Awesome...thanks so much

mtbr member

Camping????

Well, Dupont was AMAZING. ;

Question, can you camp at the trailheads?? I didn't see any signs saying otherwise?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr
    Well, Dupont was AMAZING. ;

Question, can you camp at the trailheads?? I didn't see any signs saying otherwise?
    Nope, it's a state forest...has some of the strictest policies of any public land. No camping, no fires, no unleashed pets, etc.

mtbr member
    That's what I thought. I ran into a guy at Guion trailhead, and he said it was fine to camp there. Just wanted to make sure.

Cheers,
    stephen

mtbr member
    Where is the best place to camp around Pisgah? I'm planning a trip for weekend of October 23rd. I see there are numerous sites offered within Pisgah NF. We would like one that has showers and is the closest to the main trails. Not sure which ones we'll be riding. Probably 2-3 of the epic day routes. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by chuckie33; 09-08-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Davidson River Campground is where I ended up staying. Showers and all. $20 a night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr
    Davidson River Campground is where I ended up staying. Showers and all. $20 a night.

Cool. Thanks. Davidson River seems to be pretty close to many of the trailheads. How secluded or the sights there, like any privacy? Is there an actual river running through as the name implies? Also, do any of the campsites have fire pits or allow campfires?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Some sites are private but most are pretty close to each other. I think about all of them have fire rings and you cannot say enough about a good shower after riding all day.
    There is a river that runs around the campground and it even has a swimming hole for those looking to cool off quickly.

We stay there 3-4 times a year and always have a good time and would recommend it to anyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panther1
    Some sites are private but most are pretty close to each other. I think about all of them have fire rings and you cannot say enough about a good shower after riding all day.
    There is a river that runs around the campground and it even has a swimming hole for those looking to cool off quickly.

We stay there 3-4 times a year and always have a good time and would recommend it to anyone!

Sounds exactly like what we are looking for. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Looks like Davidson River campground is full for reservations. I see they have a fair amount of first come first serve sites. What are the chances of snagging one if we come up early on a Friday morning?
    Last edited by chuckie33; 09-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.

pronounced may-duh
    Lake powhatan has showers and direct access to the Bent Creek trails

Members who have read this thread: 0