pisgah road block...- Mtbr.com
    Fence guru
    Nov 2008

pisgah road block...

anyone know a good lawyer in brevard?

I love roadblocks right in front of the davidson river campground

ps the hub rules thanks for helping me out with my bike quickly and proffesionally

29er zealot
    ooch.

mtbr member
    So what did the roadblock catch you doing?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    wacki backi
    def illegal search

I told them they couldn't - they said they were searching anyway

29er zealot
    double ooch.

suspension wrench
    Jan 2005
    Sheriff or Forest Ranger?

Its got what plants crave
    How can they just search you for no reason? You were blazin' in the car or something were you? Just being on the road isn't probable cause.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't search your vehicle for no reason. The smell of burnt or unburnt mj will give them sufficient probable cause to search the vehicle. Now whether or not they actually smelled anything is another story; although I will wager that their report will read: " I smelled the overwhelming odor of mj as I made contact with the occupant(s) of the vehicle." They know what to put in their report to get into the car.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    exactly...

had no pipe no papers etc...

it was forrest rangers, sherrifs and brevard pd

Quote Originally Posted by Punker
    Can't search your vehicle for no reason. The smell of burnt or unburnt mj will give them sufficient probable cause to search the vehicle. Now whether or not they actually smelled anything is another story; although I will wager that their report will read: " I smelled the overwhelming odor of mj as I made contact with the occupant(s) of the vehicle." They know what to put in their report to get into the car.
    Last edited by supercusty; 07-26-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Drugs are bad. Umkay!?!

mtbr member

What you post

Confessions on a public forum that the forest service folks read daily...hmmmmm

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    no ... laws are bad - no one was hurt

Quote Originally Posted by waterdude
    Drugs are bad. Umkay!?!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    no ... laws are bad - no one was hurt
    yeah well, until they change stop driving around with illegal drugs in your car and you'll probably be better off.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    So what did the roadblock catch you doing?
    They had a roadblock on Mills Creek on Saturday too, though they weren't stopping the mountain bikers out pre-riding the course.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    so does your handle here resemble the product?

banned
    Mar 2004
    Dude! That's not good! Now you're going to have to spend money on a lawyer instead of more bike parts!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    exact opposite

iorny

Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    so does your handle here resemble the product?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    there is always money for bike parts...
    had to ditch the purgatory up front after another burping incident coming down burnt moutain in dupont - and my new seat which I crushed in the aftermath

the hub got that money though -went with a real ust this time prowler mx 2.3

carbon blur lt had no scratches - my arm not so much
    I am sure you will be seeing me soon as I am sure I need a tune up after riding every trail I could find in pisgah/dupont all week - I think squirell and sycamore cove were my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    Dude! That's not good! Now you're going to have to spend money on a lawyer instead of more bike parts!

mtbr member
    Good use of three law enforcement offices. I guess all of the serious issues were resolved and they were going for some 'low-hanging fruit' to wrap up the day.

This varies from state-to-state, but the best bet is to keep 'it' on your person. You're generally not personally searched unless you're being arrested.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by thadthetroll
    Confessions on a public forum that the forest service folks read daily...hmmmmm
    But, but he already got caught!

mtbr member
    Although I don't personally partake, I think the whole "war on drugs" thing a huge load of BS. The local sheriff here in Spartanburg likes to import deputies from other counties and then spend a week pulling over anyone on I-85 who looks like they might have a 1% chance of having something in their car. They will claim the driver was "weaving" as a pretense for the traffic stop. They collect a few pounds of pot and confiscate a bunch of cash from people who have not yet been convicted of a crime, then have a big news conference to show the local paper how they are "protecting" us from all of this dangerous crime. The whole point of the exercise is to hope they score a bunch of cash they can confiscate and to get the sheriff's name in the paper.

Meanwhile, there was an article in the paper the other day reminding us that there are at least 40 unsolved murder cases in the county. I'm glad they have their priorities straight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If people just stop doing drugs, then there would be no war on drugs....yeah,

Gabe.....
    I ride bikes............
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Gee sjanes, that's somewhat self-righteous don't you think? First of all, the OP got caught with a medicinal plant (one that's now regulated and distributed in 14 states), not a "drug" in the sense that it's a substance that inflicts pain, suffering, and is truly detrimental to mico and macro level societal structures (such as alcohol or meth). Second of all, people won't miraculously "just stop doing drugs". Increased demand/limitless supply. Since the inception of the disaster that is "The war on drugs" and it's subsequent use of mandatory minimum sentences, use and addiction have increased dramatically and our prison population more than doubled between the early 90's and mid 2000's, thereby increasing the burden on our society as a whole. Perhaps now is the time to consider that the war on drugs was and is completely unrealistic and that treating mental health and substance abuse issues with lengthy prison sentences and torture is inhumane.

sjanes, I have a great deal of respect for you and have you to thank for getting me back into this great sport, but I believe that your post was completely judgemental and out of context. Now you can refute what I said by telling me about smuggling and crime and Mexican cartels oh my.......bring it on beeeeeeyatch.

Fortunately, I will have forgotten this unpleasant interaction in about 3 hours from now as I'm making my way from the top of Black down to the ranger station.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    dude, cool your hydraulic brakes. I didn't condemn or judge, all i did was make a statement. If no one did illegal drugs, there would be no "war on illegal drugs". Think about it, true statement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    True, but shallow, unrealistic, and irrational. The fact that you made the statement in this particular thread (think about the OP) implies judgement. Whether or not it was intentional is irrelevent as the perception is that your statement is a response to the overall content of this thread, which is driven by the OP's unfortunate situation. Perceptions......nothing more than perceptions. I don't believe in brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    jhemp, thanks for the feedback, you owe me 4 positives...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    dude, cool your hydraulic brakes. I didn't condemn or judge, all i did was make a statement. If no one did illegal drugs, there would be no "war on illegal drugs". Think about it, true statement.
    There's a better statement, from a different perspective - if there were no illegal drugs there would be no war on illegal drugs

The sad truth is the war on drugs is popular only with those who profit from it - and the two major players there are the police (enforcement in general) and the smugglers, gangs, and organized crime elements. Sadly, pharmaceutical companies are also among those who profit from criminalization as well since they sell rather poor alternatives at high margins.

Legalize it and the police, organized crime, and the drug companies all lose money - thus, no legalization is likely. Read up on the history of organized crime in this country and you will come to know that it basically didn't exist prior to prohibition.
    many gears, some pies

pronounced may-duh
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABc8ciT5QLs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABc8ciT5QLs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    We all do drugs. Most are legal, some are considered illegal.

I only do legal drugs, but that doesn't make me superior to someone who chooses the ones that the State forbids. The whole thing is absurd.

Look at the damage that alcohol does vs pot, for instance. There is no logic that supports current laws. This coming from a non-user, btw.

The War on Drugs is big business and Big Business wants to keep making money off this invented situation. It will never end.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    We all do drugs. Most are legal, some are considered illegal.

I only do legal drugs, but that doesn't make me superior to someone who chooses the ones that the State forbids. The whole thing is absurd.

Look at the damage that alcohol does vs pot, for instance. There is no logic that supports current laws. This coming from a non-user, btw.

The War on Drugs is big business and Big Business wants to keep making money off this invented situation. It will never end.

All this from a PIPE welder.

I just had to point that out. oh yea.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Gabe.....
    This movie/documentary though dated sheds some interesting light on the subject.........
    http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hemp_...0?trkid=438403
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    All this from a PIPE welder.

I just had to point that out. oh yea.

Just not a pipe wielder

mtbr member
    I can't understand how a drug that leads to 400,000+ peoples death a year is legal.

Somehow I feel as if the government just doesn't give a damn about me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Trade in?

Maybe they could do a pot trade in program, like they do with guns? that might work...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No worries. I reminded myself of what a genuinely good guy you are as I was composing my scathing response to your comment. 1 down, 3 to go:-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    Maybe they could do a pot trade in program, like they do with guns? that might work...
    guns are dangerous
    pot? not so much.... or are you one of those 'people kill people' people?
    There are still no marijuana deaths on record AFAIK (unless of course you want to count people killed due to the money involved in the criminal side of the problem)

makes a lot more sense to do a legalization program, like they do with guns and liquor
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jhemp
    No worries. I reminded myself of what a genuinely good guy you are as I was composing my scathing response to your comment. 1 down, 3 to go:-)
    haha, you owe me nothing!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    pot? not so much

Some chick was burning one when she drove into my husband while he was riding his mountain bike on a gravel road. Who expects to get hit by a car on their MOUNTAIN bike?

I agree there's a double standard that pot is illegal but whiney people can get all the prescription mood-altering stuff they want...but I wouldn't say pot's not dangerous. If you have it in your car, it kinda makes me think you're planning to smoke it while you're driving. Am I wrong about that?

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    If you have it in your car, it kinda makes me think you're planning to smoke it while you're driving.
    Not any more so than having a gun in the glove box means your planning on shooting someone while you're driving.

That sucks about Mr. Chick getting hit - I hadn't heard that one. How badly was the car damaged ?
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I was on vacation and not about to leave it in my tent

anywho - the man wins I quit

seriously it is just too much trouble and I am too old
    I will just be a drunk now

mtbr member
    Some chick was burning one when she drove into my husband while he was riding his mountain bike on a gravel road. Who expects to get hit by a car on their MOUNTAIN bike?

I agree there's a double standard that pot is illegal but whiney people can get all the prescription mood-altering stuff they want...but I wouldn't say pot's not dangerous. If you have it in your car, it kinda makes me think you're planning to smoke it while you're driving. Am I wrong about that?
    Maybe you're just going somewhere to smoke it?

Why should glaxo or phizer profit when there's a weed that does a better job? Why should anyone have to whine? Do I have to whine to get a beer? No, and I can brew my own if I am so inclined. You know there are a lot of people who prefer natural medicines, herbs, homeopathy, etc.. over the expensive crap that drug companies sell - do you ever pay attention to all the side effects listed on the package?

smoking and driving should be (and is) just as illegal as drinking and driving - the burning chick should be cited for driving under the influence but not possession. smoke and drive and you put others at risk, that's really where the line should be drawn.

And FWIW I expect to get hit any time I ride on the gravel roads around here - nobody looks for bikes. Ride defensively!
    many gears, some pies

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Until testing methods for specifically identifying WHEN a person has last smoked pot become available, insurance companies will legislate whether pot is or isn't legal. I'm all for our government normalizing marijuana laws, but until insurance providers have some idea about WHEN you last toked, if you have an accident on the job, you're a liability. Employers would still be required to test you, and fire you/not hire you depending on those test results. Somebody needs to perfect testing for thc. Are there any chemists in this subforum?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    How badly was the car damaged ?

I think it knocked her side mirror off ;-)

mtbr member
    Ridin29 - good point on the DUI vs. possession. Similar issue w/ "open container" laws. As a wino (my drug of choice) I'm pleased that a lot of states now allow you to have an open bottle of wine in the car if the restaurant bags and seals it and/or if it's not accessible to the driver (like in the trunk.)

Supercrusty - vacation? I hope that doesn't mean you have to come a long way back to Brevard for court. Someone I know...ahem...pretty well... had to spend $1000 on a Brevard lawyer 'cause they got a speeding ticket SO BAD they had to. Cop: "I want to make sure you understand - this is not a ticket, it's a crime, you have to go to court."

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I live in charlotte so it is not that far and if it means more bike riding it is not all that bad - gotta look at the good side

Ridin29 - good point on the DUI vs. possession. Similar issue w/ "open container" laws. As a wino (my drug of choice) I'm pleased that a lot of states now allow you to have an open bottle of wine in the car if the restaurant bags and seals it and/or if it's not accessible to the driver (like in the trunk.)

Supercrusty - vacation? I hope that doesn't mean you have to come a long way back to Brevard for court. Someone I know...ahem...pretty well... had to spend $1000 on a Brevard lawyer 'cause they got a speeding ticket SO BAD they had to. Cop: "I want to make sure you understand - this is not a ticket, it's a crime, you have to go to court."

drunken pirate
    supercusty - if you are coming back for court you might as well spend the money on a lawyer to get the charge dropped. Hire a good one who will threaten a jury trial to contest the illegal search. If you have a clean record the da will likely just let it go.

Next time don't let them search. It isn't easy but stand your ground.

Good luck.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Get a lawyer from the area. Happened to a buddy on lake summit. Searched our canoe while paddling cross the cove from one buddies place to another. He spent the night in brevard jail. Got the charges dropped after getting a lawyer from the area. The local boys are better equipped to deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp
    Get a lawyer from the area. Happened to a buddy on lake summit. Searched our canoe while paddling cross the cove from one buddies place to another. He spent the night in brevard jail. Got the charges dropped after getting a lawyer from the area. The local boys are better equipped to deal.
    That lake is in Henderson county about 1/2 mile from my house. How did he end up in the Brevard jail in Transylvania county??
    mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Game warden took him there.

mtbr member
    Possession of less than 14g/0.5oz in NC has a mandatory suspended sentence. I think you'll get probation and a fine, if the illegal search thing doesn't pan out.

mtbr member
    So maybe the lawyers in Brevard are behind all of these stops to keep themselves in clients.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    So maybe the lawyers in Brevard are behind all of these stops to keep themselves in clients.
    Don't underestimate the "Good-old-boy-club" for it is alive and well.

drunken pirate
    Possession of less than 14g/0.5oz in NC has a mandatory suspended sentence. I think you'll get probation and a fine, if the illegal search thing doesn't pan out.
    Probably a $200 fine, 2 years unsupervised probation and 30 hours of community service . The thing to do is hire a good lawyer and fight it. If you were charged with both possession and paraphernalia they will drop the possession and just stick you with the paraphernalia (which is actually a more serious charge)

I think the reason behind the license checks in Pisgah is because a lot of people think that as soon as they cross the forest gate there is no law enforcement and anything goes. So they crack a beer and smoke a joint and stumble into an unexpected license check... I'm opposed to law enforcement intruding into my personal life and space but keeping drunk drivers off 276 on a sunny weekend day probably isn't a bad thing. I'm tired of being run over by stoned drivers
    Last edited by driftwood; 08-01-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    there is always money for bike parts...
    had to ditch the purgatory up front after another burping incident coming down burnt moutain in dupont - and my new seat which I crushed in the aftermath

the hub got that money though -went with a real ust this time prowler mx 2.3

carbon blur lt had no scratches - my arm not so much
    I am sure you will be seeing me soon as I am sure I need a tune up after riding every trail I could find in pisgah/dupont all week - I think squirell and sycamore cove were my favorite
    Sounds very similar to me. Coming down Burnt Mtn burped a tire, went over the bars, landed just in time to see my carbon Titus FTM go bouncing across the rocks. Bike was fine other than some minor scratches on the bars but tore my arm all the hell. Good thing I don't have to worry about getting busted with weed.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Game warden took him there.
    That is interesting. It takes about three times as much time to go there as it does to get to the Hendersonville jail.
    mike

MTBR Member
    good suggestion...they know the local judges.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    bikes are faster than stoned drivers.
    ride fast...take chances...

Members who have read this thread: 0