Pisgah or other NC/SC destination in case of rain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Pisgah or other NC/SC destination in case of rain

Hi there NC/SC locals. I have a 3 day trip Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday. Leaving Atlanta Monday early morning.
    The plan was to go to Pisgah and ride but the weather forecast is showing thunderstorms.
    Maybe we'll get to ride Pisgah Monday but Tuesday/Wednesday will probably be rained out.
    Any good trails where we can get at least 20 miles or more in central/eastern NC or SC?
    Prefer Intermediate trails... maybe a bit of black diamond.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Rays Weather says hit or miss afternoon scattered thunder Tues/Wed. You may be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Keep in mind that unlike trails in Atlanta, the trails here don't formally close and generally deal with water well. You also won't find the same hostile attitude from other riders about riding after it's rained, either. Mainly because the trails generally deal with water really well, there are a lot of them in a more spread out area, and they aren't as easily saturated. The trails don't take nearly as much damage from people riding in the wet.

I'd avoid the Mills River area and Bent Creek if it's really been raining for a few days straight. They seem to get a bit slick with the clay, but most of Pisgah and DuPont manages the wet really well. TBH riding DuPont is a lot better after some rain these days, as some sections have been really beat up and are really loose without some water on the ground.

Also keep in mind that it's summer, just like in GA there are a lot of scattered showers. It may show rain all week, but certain spots never get touched by any rain or the rain only lasts a few minutes.

In other words, I wouldn't change your plans based on a few scattered showers or a few days of rain. The way rain is handled in GA, both by riders and the trail surface, is very different.

mtbr member
    Issaqueena in Clemson Experimental Forest has over 50 miles of trails and many hold up well when wet. These trails never close. Exit 19 off I-85, I think.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Could we get something like this stickied? Seems like the "what will the weather be like 2 weeks or 3 months from now" question gets asked a lot. Might prevent would be tourists from getting discouraged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Could we get something like this stickied? Seems like the "what will the weather be like 2 weeks or 3 months from now" question gets asked a lot. Might prevent would be tourists from getting discouraged.
    Wouldn't this sticky cover it already?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=833037

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk