Pisgah in May- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pisgah in May

mtbr member

Pisgah in May

Coming down from PA May 7th thru the 10th to ride Pisgah and Dupont. Never rode here before. What trails should I ride and where should I be staying? Was looking at cabins/houses near Hendersonville and Brevard. I just want to be as close to the trails as possible. Would like to get at least two epic rides in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1 View Post
    Coming down from PA May 7th thru the 10th to ride Pisgah and Dupont. Never rode here before. What trails should I ride and where should I be staying? Was looking at cabins/houses near Hendersonville and Brevard. I just want to be as close to the trails as possible. Would like to get at least two epic rides in.
    Brevard is your best choice, by far. Can't miss rides in Pisgah/Dupont...all of them?

The Oskar Blues Reeb Ranch would be my choice of a place to stay...if it were me. Staff there can either provider guide service or directions...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just booked a house right outside of Brevard. For July. Totally psyched!

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    im planning the same type of trip in late april, is brevard the closest town to stay in? when i google hotel near pisgah national forest it comes up with hotels like an hour away
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    im planning the same type of trip in late april, is brevard the closest town to stay in? when i google hotel near pisgah national forest it comes up with hotels like an hour away

Brevard is the closest to the bulk of the trails. Pisgah is broken up into several districts all throughout western NC. From close to Virginia all the way to almost South Carolina. The Pisgah that most folks come here to ride is the South Ranger District. Not a ton of hotels and what not in Brevard but there are a few.

Although there are tons of campsite in the forest... Best way to ride Pisgah is to stay in Pisgah IMO.
    On your left!

mtbr member

Pisgah in May

Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Brevard is the closest to the bulk of the trails. Pisgah is broken up into several districts all throughout western NC. From close to Virginia all the way to almost South Carolina. The Pisgah that most folks come here to ride is the South Ranger District. Not a ton of hotels and what not in Brevard but there are a few.

Although there are tons of campsite in the forest... Best way to ride Pisgah is to stay in Pisgah IMO.
    +1 on staying in pisgah

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    you mean camping or is pisgah a town?
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    you mean camping or is pisgah a town?
    Pisgah is a way of being. A heightened sense of your own reality.

Enlightenment.

But seriously, Pisgah is the name of the nat'l forest. I meant that the best way to truly do Pisgah properly is to immerse yourself in it. Park the car and hide the keys. Sleep on the ground, make food over a fire, wake up to a spring morning surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of solitude. Hop on your bike and go. There is really no need to drive anyhwhere as long as you have enough food and beer. Everything is at your doorstep in the forest...

I live in Asheville and would still rather camp out there and ride than make the 45 min drive from home. I still do often on the weekends. Just grab a tent, sleeping bag, and some food and roll. Late April is prime time camping weather. Warm days, cool nights. Springtime in the mountains.... rebirth and transformation.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is a Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express in Brevard and Lake Powhatan Campground over in Bent Creek is not bad either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Red House Inn Brevard!!!!!! Ride all day and then be able to walk downtown for good meal and cold beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm starting to plan a week trip in May from Boston. I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrel View Post
    Red House Inn Brevard!!!!!! Ride all day and then be able to walk downtown for good meal and cold beer.
    This. Good peeps for sure. Plus the owners ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Pisgah is a way of being. A heightened sense of your own reality.

Enlightenment.

But seriously, Pisgah is the name of the nat'l forest. I meant that the best way to truly do Pisgah properly is to immerse yourself in it. Park the car and hide the keys. Sleep on the ground, make food over a fire, wake up to a spring morning surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of solitude. Hop on your bike and go. There is really no need to drive anyhwhere as long as you have enough food and beer. Everything is at your doorstep in the forest...

I live in Asheville and would still rather camp out there and ride than make the 45 min drive from home. I still do often on the weekends. Just grab a tent, sleeping bag, and some food and roll. Late April is prime time camping weather. Warm days, cool nights. Springtime in the mountains.... rebirth and transformation.
    Wow, stokin' the stoke I have for just taking a job in Charlotte. I know Charlotte isn't Pisgah but, I am so ready to try something new and just get lost in the mountains. Cold beer in the stream, the ground as my bed, solo rides where I see no one all day...stoked.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will be heading down from PA also, closer to June. do you need a permit to camp in the forest? I also ride a SS around here and have been debating goign back to gears, was wondering what/how it is riding SS out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fellow PA resident here too. Make the yearly pilgrimage to Pisgah in spring to get a jump on the riding season, or in the fall to extend it a few more weeks. Went one year over Memorial Day weekend, and it was too hot for me. Anyway - when I go down there I usually camp at Davidson River Campground. It's just outside of Brevard, just inside Pisgah National Forest proper. Kind of best of all worlds - nice clean well maintained campgrounds, trails are right there - literally, DuPont (another great trail network) is about a 1/2 hour drive away, Brevard is a 5 minute drive so if you've got to have your Starbucks or McDonalds in the AM, or want ot dine out/need a grocery store it's there. Have also stayed at Lake Powhatan (sp?) campground on the edge of Asheville. Bent Creek trails are right there. Obviously Asheville is right there.

Get ready for some vertical. Compared to PA, NC has bigger mountains - about twice as big when comparing them central PA. Big climbs result in big descents.

Also would suggest hitting some trails off I-81 in VA on the way down. I split the drive into (2) days and spend a night in VA in the George Washington NF generally near Harrisonburg. Another hotbed for riding.

Enjoy and report back on your experience.