Pisgah Gravel ride suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Pisgah Gravel ride suggestions

I'm looking for for somewhere to ride my Mtb besides the wet singletrack due to all of the rain. I would prefer to ride roads that don't allow vehicle traffic. I have ridden Joel Branch and 475, but wanted to see if there are any other gravel roads in the Brevard area that would be similar to these.

I'm looking at Cove Creek road, Log Hollow road and Seniard Ridge road as possibilities.

Any information on these and other suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Jared

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aenima View Post
    I'm looking for for somewhere to ride my Mtb besides the wet singletrack due to all of the rain. I would prefer to ride roads that don't allow vehicle traffic. I have ridden Joel Branch and 475, but wanted to see if there are any other gravel roads in the Brevard area that would be similar to these.

I'm looking at Cove Creek road, Log Hollow road and Seniard Ridge road as possibilities.

Any information on these and other suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Jared
    Neverending Road (FR 5097) coming off the parking lot at the Trace Ridge trailhead is gated and goes out at least 10 miles one way.
    Last edited by jamatt; 05-30-2018 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    Neverending Road (FR 5097) coming off the parking lot at the Trace Ridge trailhead is gated and goes out at least 10 miles one way.
    Yep was going to suggest the same. It's actually a really nice ride. The hard part about your request OP is "closed to traffic."

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Out and back on clawhammer? lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check out Never Ending road.

The reason I'm looking for closed roads is because I think they will be in better shape than the ones with vehicles driving on them with all of the rain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    That doesn't sound like any fun at all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That doesn't sound like any fun at all!
    Haha, yeah definitely not an ideal route. Bombing down clawhammer can be a good time though!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check out Never Ending road.

The reason I'm looking for closed roads is because I think they will be in better shape than the ones with vehicles driving on them with all of the rain.
    I tried and failed to find the end of it one time. It eventually turns into an overgrown mess with tire-flattening briers all over the place. You could combine that with a trip up Wash Creek to the BRP and over to the Bent Creek area.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I tried and failed to find the end of it one time. It eventually turns into an overgrown mess with tire-flattening briers all over the place. You could combine that with a trip up Wash Creek to the BRP and over to the Bent Creek area.
    I've accessed it hiking off trail from the Parkway right by 151 down into the Horse Cove drainage. It's maybe 400 yards off the Parkway at that point. It goes from the briar mess to a bench cut mess with trees. Still haven't found the end. Interesting though, when you cross Neverending Road coming down from 151, there's another grown in road following Horse Cove Creek that descends for quite a while until it hits the very end of the MFC into Big Creek.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    There's great gravel loop opportunities in DuPont and surrounding secondary roads. Sky Valley, Pinnacle Mtn, Joanna Mtn, Conservation, etc. Easy to get 25+ miles without any repeats and little to no vehicle traffic.
    Pisgah Forest NC

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    That one is a favorite of mine. Also for times when I want a ride, but not much climbing. I'll drop off of it and onto some of the singletrack below.

My understanding of neverending rd is that you eventually reach a point where it is maintained as a wildlife corridor and not a road.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I was thinking that or Curtis Creek, choose your poison.
    Think of the fitness you'll gain.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    How about the 229(s) out towards Farlow and beyond? I've only gone up to Farlow, never beyond, but I recall up to that point as being a pretty good workout. Looking at the map seems that road travels pretty far.

FWIW there are some good gravel roads off Pinhook gap in Nantahala.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Drove up to North Mills to ride the Never Ending road, as soon as we got to the trailhead it started thundering and pouring rain... We headed to Bold Rock instead of riding in the thunderstorm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    How about the 229(s) out towards Farlow and beyond? I've only gone up to Farlow, never beyond, but I recall up to that point as being a pretty good workout. Looking at the map seems that road travels pretty far.

FWIW there are some good gravel roads off Pinhook gap in Nantahala.

If you go past Farlow, it eventually ends up way over on Hwy 215.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Slayed some primo Pisgah grav grav last night... 1206 from N. Mills to 276 is buttered biscuits good. Hero gravels... 🇺🇸
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Slayed some primo Pisgah grav grav last night... 1206 from N. Mills to 276 is buttered biscuits good. Hero gravels...
    Haha. I rode that on my 33c CX two months ago and it about rattled my teef out!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk