Pisgah "epic"- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pisgah "epic"

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Pisgah "epic"

Gonna be coming through next month on the way up north and have decided, and was told more then once, that Pisgah is a must ride. I'll only have a day in town to ride and want to spend the better part of it doing just that. I was thinking 30-50 miles would be nice. Any suggestions?

Edit: After poking around utube I have decided I have to ride "squirrel gap" or something like it. That looks like a blast! Thanks.

pronounced may-duh
    Don't bite off more then you can chew. If your confident in your abilities then go for it but Pisgah miles ain't like normal miles. Depending on the route, 30 miles could take an average level rider 6-8 hours.

here is a link to some pisgah routes

Both of the squirrel gap routes are mega long all day rides. The squirrel gap / turkey pen loop is some of the toughest miles in pisgah. 20 miles could take 7 hours of ride time. If your in great shape and racer fast, you could bang it out in under 5 hours.

Enjoy!

drunken pirate
    Maida gives good advice
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Pisgah is about hours...not miles. You're going to love it!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how is TP last summer i was told not to ride it?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Turkey pen from the parking lot to black
    Is not so fun for me the otherway is

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pat_martin
    how is TP last summer i was told not to ride it?
    I'll second that - Don't ride it, its the most lackluster trail in the Ranger district = no fun!
    You'll ride it once and then you'll say, Never again!

Thread Killer
    We did a fun "Legends Loop" taking in Horse Cove > Squirrel Gap > 5015 > Laurel Mountain > Pilot Rock that's a fun loop; figure 4-5 hours or maybe a bit more.

And Turkeypen Gap has gotten fun, fun, fun ... from the top.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts
    Gonna be coming through next month on the way up north and have decided, and was told more then once, that Pisgah is a must ride. I'll only have a day in town to ride and want to spend the better part of it doing just that. I was thinking 30-50 miles would be nice. Any suggestions?

Edit: After poking around utube I have decided I have to ride "squirrel gap" or something like it. That looks like a blast! Thanks.

This loop
    will get you a Pisgah fix, Maida's right, I've heard him say " Pisgah miles are like dog years, 1 pisgah mile = 7 regular miles!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As an "outsider", I'll back up all the comments above.

Went to Pisgah for a 2 day trip last year. When I saw we "only" had a 20 mile route, and a 15 mile route I was a little bummed for such short days, but we ended up taking a while (4 hours) both days and it was the perfect amount of riding to be tired and feel "fulfilled" but still ready for another day of riding immediately. We climbed nice and slow and enjoyed the scenery and then took a break and kicked ass on the descents. Now that I'm in better shape, I'd like more like 6 hour days, so I'd be happy with 30 mile routes.

Whatever trails these are were AWESOME and I can't wait to go back. This should be included in whatever Pisgah you ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55334025

edit: For an epic route, that 34 mile route linked right above would be sweet. And I noticed it includes that trail that I did above which again, I would highly recommend

-Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    Turkey pen from the parking lot to black
    Is not so fun for me the otherway is
    I think he should do that, then go down black to pressley, cross over and climb bennett to buckwheat then over to squirrel

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    I think he should do that, then go down black to pressley, cross over and climb bennett to buckwheat then over to squirrel
    sounds like a blast in bizzaro world

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    It aint an epic unless its over 14 hours, involves snow or freezing rain, crossing south mills 11 times when the temps are below 40, or if someone has to get carried out.

In nice weather I think the epic threashold is bumped up, maybe a sunrise to midnight route. If you can carry enough water for the whole ride it isn't an epic.

There are some exceptions. You know that guy that put bleech in his eye right before the pmbar start? That was ballls, even if it was an accident. he could have ridden for an hour and quit and it would've been epic.

Just don't confuse an epic with a really long ride.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    It aint an epic unless its over 14 hours, involves snow or freezing rain, crossing south mills 11 times when the temps are below 40, or if someone has to get carried out.

In nice weather I think the epic threashold is bumped up, maybe a sunrise to midnight route. If you can carry enough water for the whole ride it isn't an epic.

There are some exceptions. You know that guy that put bleech in his eye right before the pmbar start? That was ballls, even if it was an accident. he could have ridden for an hour and quit and it would've been epic.

Just don't confuse an epic with a really long ride.
    I've gotten carried away (not out) on many rides and think they were all epic - it's a state of mind or rather not-minding anything else other than being on the bike. You can be miserable without even getting on your bike. And since I carry my SteriPen with me on long rides I technically can't run out of water, but running out of water is epic fail - I'm after epic success in the woods.
    many gears, some pies

suspension wrench
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    You know that guy that put bleech in his eye right before the pmbar start? That was ballls, even if it was an accident. he could have ridden for an hour and quit and it would've been epic.

I know that dude....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

drunken pirate
    I convinced that dude it was a good idea to take the entire length of South Mills River back to Cove Creek 14 hours into a ride in the middle of February. He was smart enough to turn around at the first glacier while I pushed on . That ride was on the verge of epic if not over the cusp...

This one time when we pushed our bikes up Big Creek in a blizzard, now that was epic!

Epic, lol. I think I'll stick with Sycamore Cove thank you very much.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

H8 H8 H8
    My feet got wet tonight. It was HUGE !

Serious Pisgah gnar, brah.

Anyway.

Nobody is going to mention that Bleach Boy went on to get run over
    by a jeep later that same day ?!?!?!
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane

This loop
    will get you a Pisgah fix, Maida's right, I've heard him say " Pisgah miles are like dog years, 1 pisgah mile = 7 regular miles!
    I think what you mean is that one mile of Pisgah trail will mean you have to ride 7 miles of roads. Ugh.

banned
    I think what you mean is that one mile of Pisgah trail will mean you have to ride 7 miles of roads. Ugh.
    A bump from 2 months ago If you wanted an epic ride you should have signed up for PMBAR

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    I'll second that - Don't ride it, its the most lackluster trail in the Ranger district = no fun!
    You'll ride it once and then you'll say, Never again!
    some people like it, I do, it's different but it's still singletrack in PNF!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What did you ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're gonna ride PISGAH just remember take a good supply of Moist Towelletes

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    What did you ride?
    We rode the loop motobutane posted. Well, half of it. We were so over it by the time we rolled up to the car we bailed and got the heck out of dodge. The trail that we wound up riding was fun but there is no reason for that much road on a MTB ride. It made for a long boring day, and left me wishing for some bar ends on my all mountain bike.

banned
    We rode the loop motobutane posted. Well, half of it. We were so over it by the time we rolled up to the car we bailed and got the heck out of dodge. The trail that we wound up riding was fun but there is no reason for that much road on a MTB ride. It made for a long boring day, and left me wishing for some bar ends on my all mountain bike.
    You went for the EPIC DEATH MARCH Got your Pisgah fix
    Bar ends are so 1990's

drunken pirate
    That's what you get for listening to moto . That loop does have a lot of unnecessary roads on it. Next time do the Squirrel > Turkey Pen route or use the map to put together your own epic that maximizes trails and minimizes roads. Gravel is a part of most Pisgah rides but it doesn't have to be the main part.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    May 2011
    feeling rather nostalgic reading all about Pisgah. Some of the best days of my life have been spent there. I swear that I found God on Squirrel Nut Gap, once...

The most common loop I do w/ a Pisgah Virgin:
    bennet gap > buckwheat knob > black mountain
    I think it has brilliant climbs, a healthy amount of hike a bike, a remote feel, epic views, and ripping downhill....
    If they can handle that ride, it's on...

Living in CO right now and trying to plan a two week mountain biking trip in CO and UT. I'm psyched! Still, in all of my travels, I have found nothing to match Pisgah.....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sycamove Cove is fun. I like Black Mountian a lot. Theres just something about the rhodo in the mornin. Chilly winter creek crossing oh so much fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0