Pisgah Enduro 2017 Info- Mtbr.com
    20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012

Pisgah Enduro 2017 Info

Hello all,

I was curious if anyone can share logistical info/experiences regarding the upcoming Pisgah Enduro?

Specifically:
    Do racers need to carry their own water for the entire day or is there water at the starting areas of the stages?

How was the food at the race campgrounds? Do I need to make reservations directly with the campground? The link from the race page just takes me to the campground home page.

Any other logistical tips from past competitors?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I did it in 2015 and we had to carry our own water and food... Not sure if that has changed.

Plenty of water on course to filter from and they did have water at the bottom of Kitsuma and I think Rattlesnake too. But to be safe you should definitely plan on carrying your own water and food as you would for a normal 30 mile Pisgah ride.

Start super early on Sunday to make the cut off time for Hearbreak. If you want to be one of the first to go down (and get the best conditions) be the first up. They start you in that order...first up is first to go down.

Its a pedally course so you definitely need fitness and bike control to do well. You also dont need a big travel bike. The first year a guy was in the top 15 on day one riding a rigid SS! haha... your results may vary

I would try to ride it as if the clock is ticking the whole time. I do best going down when Im warm and have caught my wind. If you get caught up in a pack you will be standing around waiting while your legs get cold which will make those sprints out of the gate hurt like hell.

Pre-ride the course if you need to. Rattlesnake and Jarrett Creeek are not technical whatsoever but they're fast. Star Gap/Kitsuma have lots of corners and areas to go off trail. Heartbreak is Heartbreak... just know what you're getting into there.

Have Fun and see ya out there!
    On your left!

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    I did it the first year and we had to carry our own water and food... Not sure if that has changed.

Plenty of water on course to filter from and they did have water at the bottom of Kitsuma and I think Rattlesnake too. But to be safe you should definitely plan on carrying your own water and food as you would for a normal 30 mile Pisgah ride.

Start super early on Sunday to make the cut off time for Hearbreak. If you want to be one of the first to go down (and get the best conditions) be the first up. They start you in that order...first up is first to go down.

Its a pedally course so you definitely need fitness and bike control to do well. You also dont need a big travel bike. The first year a guy was in the top 15 on day one riding a rigid SS! haha... your results may vary

I would try to ride it as if the clock is ticking the whole time. I do best going down when Im warm and have caught my wind. If you get caught up in a pack you will be standing around waiting while your legs get cold which will make those sprints out of the gate hurt like hell.

Pre-ride the course if you need to. Rattlesnake and Jarrett Creeek are not technical whatsoever but they're fast. Star Gap/Kitsuma have lots of corners and areas to go off trail. Heartbreak is Heartbreak... just know what you're getting into there.

Have Fun and see ya out there!
    Banjo....thanks for the great info! I figured it would be pedally😛 I will be doing it on my Ragley mmmbop hardtail. I am not tuff enough to be doing it on a rigid SS. You a beast! I do want to do a pre-ride in May sometime since I haven't ridden this side of Pisgah. Coming from FL any excuse to get up to NC works for me.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    Banjo....thanks for the great info! I figured it would be pedally😛 I will be doing it on my Ragley mmmbop hardtail. I am not tuff enough to be doing it on a rigid SS. You a beast! I do want to do a pre-ride in May sometime since I haven't ridden this side of Pisgah. Coming from FL any excuse to get up to NC works for me.

Thanks again!

You're welcome...

And I definitely wasnt the guy on the rigid SS...

Although I raced it on my Canfield hard tail and felt I did well considering. You should have no issues on the Ragley.

The Old Fort side of Pisgah is great but not as well known as the Ranger District stuff. Its burly, remote, and really great.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Each stage start is fairly remote and not accessible by motor vehicle. I typically staff the first stage start day one, likely will again this year, and can confirm the only food/ water I'm hauling up there is what I can carry on my back. So, no stage start foods or water.

You will be shuttled from the campground to avoid a nearly 1000 foot climb, but then you have some serious climbing to do from there to the start of stage 1. This is the hardest part of the day; we space racers out by 2 minutes at the first stage, so if you're at the back of the pack, you may be waiting for 30 minutes or more before you get to racing. Be prepared to entertain yourself as needed. The rest of the day 1 climbing is hard, especially the push up the bottom, climb-able portion of heartbreak, but nothing like the first climb up "Adventure trail." Day 2 is a lot of climbing to do a lot of descending; again, like Banjo said, you're going to be waiting for a while at the top. It's an out-and-back, so the slowest rider up has to clear the course before the fastest rider up can go down.

The campground is awesome! You have access to the pool, canoes, etc. Last year, there was a food truck and this will probably be the case again. I strongly recommend camping at the venue.

mtbr member
    I rode Kitsuma/Lower HB last Saturday. I'm guessing that if I have to stop my bike an point it in a new direction for all of the switchbacks on Star Gap, I might not have a chance to win this race.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I rode Kitsuma/Lower HB last Saturday. I'm guessing that if I have to stop my bike an point it in a new direction for all of the switchbacks on Star Gap, I might not have a chance to win this race.
    Man, those switchbacks are the worst part - including death rock at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Man, those switchbacks are the worst part - including death rock at the bottom.