Pisgah clipless shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pisgah clipless shoes

What clipless shoes are people running in Pisgah proper? I usually ride in xc type shoes, but they are awful for hike a bike and dangerous walking in rocks.
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    Five tens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +1 Five Ten and also save your receipt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    510ís should work good

I run the giro terraduros with no real issues

mtbr member
    Pearl Izumi X-Alps have worked well for me. You can hike all day in them but they are still pretty stiff.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have five 10 platform shoes already, are the suggestions for five ten shoes regarding their clipless shoes?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    5.10 here too. They make a clipless model. Don't remember the model.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    I have five 10 platform shoes already, are the suggestions for five ten shoes regarding their clipless shoes?
    Thanks!

Kestrel Lace

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-Alps have worked well for me. You can hike all day in them but they are still pretty stiff.
    ^This. The recessed cleat doesn't, or barely, contacts the ground. X-Alp Journey, is the new name this year; used to be X-Alp Seek.

Big Mac
    Thanks!

Yes. Theyíre are a few clipless models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Had two pair of X-Alps fall to pieces on me both inside of 3 months. Pearl warrantied them both and gave me my money back.

If youíre hard on gear and/or ride a lot and hike-a-bik a lot get a better shoe. Shimano ME7 is the best Iíve found. Light, tough, and the Michelin rubber is super grippy. Not the warmest shoe but they drain well... Creek crossings and all that.
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    The shoes I still use for clipless duty should probably be on the list. Lake MX 165. Bought these because a long hike-a-bike in hurricane downfall in TX made my previous shoes explode on me. Solid, Vibram sole is reasonably walkable and grips well on a variety of surfaces. They've been tough shoes for me, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like my specilaized rime experts. they are good in cool weather, Vibram sole, efficient to pedal well but flexible for walking and the cleat is recessed so no contact with rocks, etc.

surprisingly they have help up well for 2 years of year-round riding and I am rough on shoes.

Keep on Rockin...
    Just returned from Pisgah, and wow, was that place great. Lots of old school natural featured tech. And thus... a modest amount of hike a bike. One trail I recall took a bit of hiking - Laurel Mt. to Pilot Rock. Bike on the back type of ascent near the top.

One of my long time favorite clippy shoes is, and you'll likely not believe this....

The lowly Specialized Sport. (Yes, even lower than the Comp.)

Been riding them for years.

Because it is the Comp version it has a less rigid sole. The tread is grippy. The last and toe box are slightly roomier on the Comp model and fits a thicker sock. They just fit my foot well. They are only velcro straps. No funky buckles to break. And, they are very cheap compared to other mtb shoes. Finally, they have no mesh. A big plus for me as I ride in a lot of cold wet weather here in the NE.

On the bike they are light, and pedal very well just like a higher end shoe. That I feel is where this shoe beats other shoes like the 5.10s. Many other "enduro-style" shoes are seem too bulky and over engineered.

Then again, I spend most of my time in bare feet unless riding or at work, and never did have issue hiking in bike shoes, so YMMV.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sp...=228688-131037

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm checking out the 5.10 kestrels. Might also look into the x Alp, but there are lots of different models of those.

Big Mac
    I'm checking out the 5.10 kestrels. Might also look into the x Alp, but there are lots of different models of those.

I was using the 5.10 impact. I liked them a lot. Super comfy, grippy as hell off the bike, plenty stiff for on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I've had my eye on the X-Alp Summit as my next pair of shoes. Checked them out at REI Sunday and I really like the sole. Seems to be really grippy and has good tread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The Shimano ME7s are perfect for pisgah if you want to clip in. Such a nice shoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Just returned from Pisgah, and wow, was that place great. Lots of old school natural featured tech. And thus... a modest amount of hike a bike. One trail I recall took a bit of hiking - Laurel Mt. to Pilot Rock. Bike on the back type of ascent near the top.

One of my long time favorite clippy shoes is, and you'll likely not believe this....

The lowly Specialized Sport. (Yes, even lower than the Comp.)

Been riding them for years.

Because it is the Comp version it has a less rigid sole. The tread is grippy. The last and toe box are slightly roomier on the Comp model and fits a thicker sock. They just fit my foot well. They are only velcro straps. No funky buckles to break. And, they are very cheap compared to other mtb shoes. Finally, they have no mesh. A big plus for me as I ride in a lot of cold wet weather here in the NE.

On the bike they are light, and pedal very well just like a higher end shoe. That I feel is where this shoe beats other shoes like the 5.10s. Many other "enduro-style" shoes are seem too bulky and over engineered.

Then again, I spend most of my time in bare feet unless riding or at work, and never did have issue hiking in bike shoes, so YMMV.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sp...=228688-131037
    I have been wearing those shoes for years. They are cheap, last a long time and work well. And you are right, they work well in those hike a bike situations.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

since 4/10/2009
    I will say this, that for me, the biggest reason I rarely ride clipless anymore is because of shoe fit. More traditional fitting cycling shoes never feel right on my feet. They always seem to pinch my foot somewhere, and that affects my riding quite a bit.

Lace-up shoes are easier for me to fit into well. I haven't really tried too many of the sorts that lace up AND offer a clipless interface, but I have had problems with clipless shoes with overly-flexible soles causing hot spots so I'm hesitant to use something like one of the 5.10 clipless shoes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anything with Vibram soles. Stay away from Gore-Tex - they fill with water.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I recently retired these SIDI's in the spring after 13 years of use as my primary MTB shoe! The first 3 years spent in the rocky Texas hill country, and the last 10 years in Pisgah. The fact that I got that much life out of a MTB shoe really speaks to the quality of the SIDI product. That being said, they are stupid expensive...and arguably, not the best shoe for trail riding in Pisgah where you are inevitably going to put a foot down or two every twenty minutes on a ride. When the time finally came to retire these to limited spin bike duty, I went with the 510 Hellcats and could not be happier with that transition.

Pisgah clipless shoes-img_7315.jpgPisgah clipless shoes-img_7316.jpg

I've been wearing the 510 Hellcats since March and have been very pleased with their performance and comfort in all Pisgah riding conditions. On the pedal, they are more than stiff enough for any trail/enduro/DH rider. Off the bike, they are durable, tacky, and forgiving. They run about a buck-fifty which is pretty affordable for a biking component that you should get 100's of miles out of. While you probably won't get 13 years out of them, the 2 years you do get will be rad!

Pisgah clipless shoes-img_7317.jpgPisgah clipless shoes-img_7318.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    The Shimano ME7s are perfect for pisgah if you want to clip in. Such a nice shoe.
    +1... best clipless shoe I have ever used in Pisgah. Ive been on Mavics, Pearl X-Alps, Terraduros, Sidis, 5.10s, etc.

Those ME7s are the jam!

Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Stay away from Gore-Tex - they fill with water.
    Definitely avoid anything labeled Gore-Tex, or "Waterproof"... You want your shoes to be able to drain super easy and dry quickly. There are plenty of creek crossings here and you dont want to spend an entire ride with heavy, water logged feet.
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Definitely avoid anything labeled Gore-Tex, or "Waterproof"... You want your shoes to be able to drain super easy and dry quickly. There are plenty of creek crossings here and you dont want to spend an entire ride with heavy, water logged feet.
    For that matter, so long as it isn't hot, if you want to keep your feet relatively dry, you can go to a waterproof sock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    For that matter, so long as it isn't hot, if you want to keep your feet relatively dry, you can go to a waterproof sock.
    Those Seal Skin socks really work but you gotta be careful to make sure the the top of the sock stays above the water line. If they go under you end up wearing two water balloons as socks haha...
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    Those Seal Skin socks really work but you gotta be careful to make sure the the top of the sock stays above the water line. If they go under you end up wearing two water balloons as socks haha...
    I have some different ones from bontrager that use a different tech, iirc. Haven't used them on the mtb yet, but will give them a go this winter probably. They have been super nice when I've used them on the road.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Specialized Rimes for long days and 2FO Cliplites for everything else. I have had mixed results with five tens....mostly they disintegrated.

Big Mac
    So, OP, I guess you realize by now, that shoe opinions are like arseholes. We all have them, you know the rest. Lots of good options, trial and error is the only way to go. Sidiís, for me are by far the most comfortable bike shoe Iíve ever had, but they suck for everything but riding. For me, 5.10ís filled the spot. My .02.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thatthang View Post
    I recently retired these SIDI's in the spring after 13 years of use as my primary MTB shoe! The first 3 years spent in the rocky Texas hill country, and the last 10 years in Pisgah. The fact that I got that much life out of a MTB shoe really speaks to the quality of the SIDI product. That being said, they are stupid expensive...and arguably, not the best shoe for trail riding in Pisgah where you are inevitably going to put a foot down or two every twenty minutes on a ride. When the time finally came to retire these to limited spin bike duty, I went with the 510 Hellcats and could not be happier with that transition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7315.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	1216771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7316.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1216772

I've been wearing the 510 Hellcats since March and have been very pleased with their performance and comfort in all Pisgah riding conditions. On the pedal, they are more than stiff enough for any trail/enduro/DH rider. Off the bike, they are durable, tacky, and forgiving. They run about a buck-fifty which is pretty affordable for a biking component that you should get 100's of miles out of. While you probably won't get 13 years out of them, the 2 years you do get will be rad!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7317.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1216773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7318.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	1216774

I ride with these 510s on DMR vtwin pedals i personally like the feel of flats even clipped in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +1... best clipless shoe I have ever used in Pisgah. Ive been on Mavics, Pearl X-Alps, Terraduros, Sidis, 5.10s, etc.

Those ME7s are the jam!

How's the sizing on those? I wear a 13 street shoe and a 47 in Sidi, Diadora, and Pearl Izumi, but on the Sierra Trading Post website ($119!) it lists the 47 as being equivalent to an 11 1/2.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    How's the sizing on those? I wear a 13 street shoe and a 47 in Sidi, Diadora, and Pearl Izumi, but on the Sierra Trading Post website ($119!) it lists the 47 as being equivalent to an 11 1/2.
    IME, directly comparing Euro sizing between shoes tends to be a lot more consistent than converting to US sizing and then trying to compare. It seems that the way companies convert Euro to US sizing can vary a fair bit.

mtbr member
    I think I went down half a size than my US sizing. I run a 10.5 in most every shoe but ended up with a 10 in the ME7s.

I'll double check tonight...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think I went down half a size than my US sizing. I run a 10.5 in most every shoe but ended up with a 10 in the ME7s.

I'll double check tonight...
    I run slightly large in a 13 so I took a leap of faith and ordered a pair off STP. We'll see!

mtbr member
    I run slightly large in a 13 so I took a leap of faith and ordered a pair off STP. We'll see!
    I checked and definitely went down a size... Im 10-10.5 (44.5 - 45 In Euro sizing)in most shoes and ended up with 44s in the ME7. I also put new smart feet insoles in mine which shrinks them a bit more...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good info on the shoes. How are the Shimano doing for hike a bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Good info on the shoes. How are the Shimano doing for hike a bike?

Outdoor Gear Lab, who I know from my climbing days, seem pretty reputable, and give the ME7s the top mark for "walkability."

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...es/shimano-me7

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Those if you who have the Shimano me7, how was sizing? The Shimano size chart is way different than most. I usually wear a 14 USA. http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com...fo/fw_size.php
    Shimano says I need size 50. Most shoes would be a 47

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In shimano I wear a size 43

Iím a size 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just got a pair of the ME7's. Euro sizing is consistent with Pearl izumi, Sidi and Diadora. I wear a 12.5-13 street shoe and the 47s were a perfect fit.