Pisgah - Caney Bottom- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pisgah - Caney Bottom

Is this trail open to bikes or not? I get different answers from everyone, with some saying it's off limits entirely and others saying parts are closed off for bikes.

If it's partially open to bikes, what's the best way to ride it and when do we have to dismount?

Thanks!

Dig it!
    All of the maps I have personally seen show it closed to bikes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I should also add that part of my confusion is that the cached FS website says "portions open to mountain biking".

mtbr member
    https://www.mtbikewnc.com/trails/dav...ver/cove-creek

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ^ I saw that, but couldn't make sense of it and am still somewhat confused.

Looking at my ride the other day, the section I was curious about is labeled "Cove Creek Connector", but now I'm even more confused and wondering if I rode the off limits section on accident.

So if I take Cove Creek Rd, there is the Caney Bottom Connector trailhead on the left (rock feature, a few root drops, etc.), then a little further up Cove Creek Rd is the sign for Cove Creek on the left. Are both of these open to bikes? The first one was the one that had me curious, because of the rock feature at the start and it looked like people have been riding it, but it appeared less used.

Anyway, I took the left at the Cove Creek sign, looking at the map, it is called "Caney Bottom Loop" right where I turned left, then there is a 4 way intersection shortly after that goes left (Caney Bottom) or straight (Cove Creek, the way I went). The rest appears to be Cove Creek. This seems reverse of what the link above says, but I swear it looked like people rode the entire thing. I remember seeing signs the lower I got that said bikes were off limits at some intersections (I obviously didn't ride those), but nothing at the top.

mtbr member
    1st left is hike only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cove Creek is open to bikes, Caney Bottom is not. Many moons ago Cove Creek was the other part of the Caney Bottom loop, and named Caney Bottom. I still refer to Cove Creek as Caney Bottom, and probably always will.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Forest Service has always had a hard time naming things because it's hard, but this is one instance where it just doesn't make any sense at all. As far as I can tell, and from what the Forest Service has told me directly and has in their trail database, and despite any signs out there that may be wrong (they were correct last time I looked *except* the word "loop" was thrown on there), the map snippet above is correct. The 1st left off of Cove Creek Road is the Caney Bottom trail, which then starts up an old road bed. The "trail" with that name drops off the old road to the right, crosses Cove Creek below the falls, goes right back toward the campground, then hangs a left and goes up Caney Bottom creek. The trail continuing up the old road bed is Cove Creek. It's why people still call this whole mess Caney Bottom Loop. And don't even get me started on Caney Bottom Extension.

IMHO, the whole left side, open to bikes (340 and the bottom of 361) should just be called Cove Creek, and the right side closed to bikes should be Caney Bottom. Simple as that. Not sure why they have to have it so convoluted. Thank goodness I don't make paper maps.

This one's almost as bad as "Stammns Branch" and "Sam Knob Summit".

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    ^ I saw that, but couldn't make sense of it and am still somewhat confused.
    Okay, I need to edit that then.

Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    So if I take Cove Creek Rd, there is the Caney Bottom Connector trailhead on the left (rock feature, a few root drops, etc.), then a little further up Cove Creek Rd is the sign for Cove Creek on the left.
    Cove Creek Road...are you talking about FS 225, FS 225B or FS 809 near the campground?

I might need to go back up there with the GPS and explore some more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So I went back up a few days ago. I think the segment I was referring to is labeled as 225B above.

The way I normally went to Cove Creek, I took Cove Creek Rd until you reached a left turn down a narrowing section of fire road (shortly after 225B), which then led to the Cove Creek trail open to bikes and was signed as such.

The segment I was referring to in my original post was just before that, off the left hand side of Cove Creek Rd, maybe a half mile before the other turnoff. There is a small rock feature (jump-ish, ramp up with a drop off at the end) that leads to a few small roots, then some loose rocks and water bars. If you follow it down enough, you'll reach Caney Bottom (signed as closed to bikes) first on the left, then Cove Creek. I *THINK* the map above has it labeled as 225B and Strava has it as "225 Bypass". It cuts off a section of the fire road the way I was originally riding Cove Creek and adds some singletrack, but dumps out at that narrowing section of fire road just before a small wall-ride of sorts, then you continue down Cove Creek trail as normal.

Trailforks has it as "Cove Creek Connector":

Cove Creek Connector Mountain Bike Trail - Brevard, NC

Normally, I was bypassing it and taking the second left onto Cove Creek off Cove Creek Rd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Definitely time for a re-visit.

Dig it!
    The section Adodero are referring to starts at the intersection of 225 and FS 225A. It is not currently in the FS trail inventory, and thus off limits to bikes. So ride at your own risk. But, it might be back in the inventory one day soonish.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    And TrailForks is not a good source for legit trails. Anyone can add a trail for others to view and ride without land managers verification.