pisgah black mtn trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

pisgah black mtn trail

yesterday was my first time at pisgah and i went to ranger satation and ask for a 20 mile loop well i got what i ask for i started at the work station and went up blk mtn and came out avery to the horse stalls thats a tuff climb i got 2500ft on my gps in about 5 miles/// when got home i looked it up and i see most people go up at horse stable and come down what is another good ride i dont mide the climbing but i wold prefer to be able to stay on bike and not push so much i think i could have rode a little more if it wasnt raining so hard....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 803diggum
    yesterday was my first time at pisgah and i went to ranger satation and ask for a 20 mile loop well i got what i ask for....
    now there's a ranger with a sense of humor

be careful what you ask for you 'cause just might get it
    many gears, some pies

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    now there's a ranger with a sense of humor

be careful what you ask for you 'cause just might get it
    I've met cyclists at the top of Maxwell Cove looking to go down Black Mountain and pointed them in the direction they just came from. Felt like I was at a funeral.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    I've met cyclists at the top of Maxwell Cove looking to go down Black Mountain and pointed them in the direction they just came from. Felt like I was at a funeral.
    Now, that is funny.

pronounced may-duh
    i don't mind the climbing but i wold prefer to be able to stay on bike .
    Avoid the section of black mtn trail between Presley Gap and Buckhorn Gap. Either way you slice it, that section involves a long hike.

Try this ride next time your in that area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Avoid the section of black mtn trail between Presley Gap and Buckhorn Gap. Either way you slice it, that section involves a long hike.
    Going over Black from Buckhorn you get a HUGE downhill from the top, close to 4 miles with just the short hike from Pressley to Hickory Knob. More hike-a-bike yes, more intense downhill YES!

Try this ride next time your in that area.
    FWIW the bottom of Black is total slop currently and not getting any better with the daily rains. I've been going up Clawhammer, over to Club Gap, then down Avery instead. Avery is in pretty good shape currently (as in fun to ride shape, not as in trail in good shape shape). Since it gets much less foot traffic than Black you can ride down at full speed and not worry about rounding the corner to find a group of hikers in the way. There are only two spots with logovers where you need to dismount. Other than a pretty short hike from Buckhorn up past the shelter it's a great ride to Club as well. It's about 9 miles and 2,500 ft of elevation.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i guess the way i reading these post there are better trails to ride than this and im not into the down hill thing i like the climbing on the bike not on the foot// i also like to ride something flowing not straight up and then straight back down to me thats only like a half ride

Big Mac
    i guess the way i reading these post there are better trails to ride than this and im not into the down hill thing i like the climbing on the bike not on the foot// i also like to ride something flowing not straight up and then straight back down to me thats only like a half ride
    Well it sounds like Pisgah might not be your thing then. Try DuPont or Bent Creek.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    FWIW the bottom of Black is total slop...
    i rode it sunday w/ a group and this was not the case unless it's usually bone dry. there was definitely some water on the trail, but considering the rest of the loop was totally dry this may be somewhat of an exaggeration...? no offense intended, and you def know the area much better than i.
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    i rode it sunday w/ a group and this was not the case unless it's usually bone dry. there was definitely some water on the trail, but considering the rest of the loop was totally dry this may be somewhat of an exaggeration...? no offense intended, and you def know the area much better than i.
    No offense taken - the loop overall is really in good shape. I rode Maxwell/Black after Sunday's downpour and it was bone dry except for the very bottom of Black. 'round here it can pour rain one place (like in-town Brevard) and not rain at all in others. Funny thing is yesterday it poured out at Black and barely rained downtown.

I mention the conditions at the bottom because it is a very heavily used trail section and the bikes really do make those sections worse. For the most part though bikes have little effect as the trail drains well until it gets to the bottom. You can avoid the slop by taking Thrift Cove instead of the last bit of Black. I spaced at the Black/Thrift intersection and just headed down Black - my bad. I may have seen you Sunday...
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    We were at that intersect when the downpours came. Opted for the black way out rather than thrift>grassy>sycamore. Damnit. LoL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Im heading to pigah sat jun 12th for a long ride with a few friends....any suggested routes? I was thinking about this one...http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1210 what do you guys think? Are the trails marked very well? I went there last year and think i got lost went up the trail from the horse barn and was lots of hike a bike up is this the right area? Sorry if i newb just trying to figure stuff out there. Im from knoxville. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I forgot to mention what kind of terrain im looking for...we like technical downhills with possible drops, rocks, roots and jumps...dont mind doing some hike a bike but rather not do it half the day...show me the craziest trails you guys have over there in a good loop.
    thanks
    pat

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    call the boys at sycamore cycles in brevard and speak with them. maybe you can get a tour. that's their backyard trails.

(sooo not fair)

=)

ohhman
    Farlow. Pilot Rock. Laurel Mtn. Blk mtn. All good and tech.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by pat_martin
    Im heading to pigah sat jun 12th for a long ride with a few friends....any suggested routes? I was thinking about this one...http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1210 what do you guys think? Are the trails marked very well? I went there last year and think i got lost went up the trail from the horse barn and was lots of hike a bike up is this the right area? Sorry if i newb just trying to figure stuff out there. Im from knoxville. Thanks
    You won't like that ride. It has a ton of hike a bike.

Try black mtn from maxwell cove to the ranger station
    or laurel mtn up and pilot rock down
    or farlow into daniel ridge

Those have shorter hike a bikes with more of a mtn dew style DH

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    wheres the best place to get a map that shows these trails? what would be expected ride times for these? thanks

pronounced may-duh
    try this one

It has some sporadic hike a bike but it has 2 fairly gnarly DH's On Buckwheat and then Avery Creek. 3 hours +

Members who have read this thread: 0