Pisgah, Bent Creek, Dupont Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Pisgah, Bent Creek, Dupont Trails

My schedule has finally stabilized, and I would love to get involved with trail building and maintenance. How can I go about doing that? I plan on joining SORBA after I get a few paychecks, but do I really need to pay $50 to work on trails? I know there were days here and there over the winter for maintenance in Dupont, but nothing lately.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    My schedule has finally stabilized, and I would love to get involved with trail building and maintenance. How can I go about doing that? I plan on joining SORBA after I get a few paychecks, but do I really need to pay $50 to work on trails? I know there were days here and there over the winter for maintenance in Dupont, but nothing lately.

IMBA/ SORBA is a volunteer organization... It only works if you get involved... that means people have to step up and help plan a trailwork days. Funny how people are always waiting for someone else to organize something... send an email to one of the chapter officers and tell'em you'd like to help plan something , and make it happen! Also funny how many people say they'll help ( money or time ) ... and we never see it

a Basic member is only $30 and 60% of that money goes to the local chapter - for tools

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    IMBA/ SORBA is a volunteer organization... It only works if you get involved... that means people have to step up and help plan a trailwork days. Funny how people are always waiting for someone else to organize something... send an email to one of the chapter officers and tell'em you'd like to help plan something , and make it happen! Also funny how many people say they'll help ( money or time ) ... and we never see it

a Basic member is only $30 and 60% of that money goes to the local chapter - for tools
    Yo, Brado1...the tone of the message almost sounds like you're *****in' at the guy for wanting to help out? Maybe not what you intended, but that's how it reads to me.

Also, it seems like it's really easy to get into serious trouble for doing trailwork if all the rules aren't followed. Suggesting that he organize something when he may not know what is required to legally do trailwork (and do it correctly) sounds a little unreasonable. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin, myself.

This kind of response probably isn't going to result in new folks joining SORBA. A few bad attitudes that I encountered caused me to completely ignore this organization a few years ago...though I should probably give it another chance. (EDIT: not saying that YOU have a bad attitude...just ran into that previously)

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Was not my intent to project a bad attitude or belittle anyone. Sorry if it came off as so.

pronounced may-duh
    You don't need to be a member to volunteer. Ideally you would do both but your time volunteering is much more valuable then your member dues. So please come to the next PAS meeting & find out what's going on and where you can help. You will quickly find that PAS needs more help on the organizing level.

Perhaps you could help with Take a Kid Mtn Biking Day. http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1569 It's lots of fun to play with the kids.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I started another thread on the same topic- I have time, I don't mind heavy lifting. I don't know where to start. From what I understand, SORBA is currently not allowed to work in the Forest. However, I don't know that for sure, because no one will talk about it.Where do the willing and able go from here?
    Tim

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm
    I started another thread on the same topic- I have time, I don't mind heavy lifting. I don't know where to start. From what I understand, SORBA is currently not allowed to work in the Forest. However, I don't know that for sure, because no one will talk about it.Where do the willing and able go from here?
    Tim
    This is a good question for the PAS leadership. Attend the next meeting. If you want a more immediate result, PM me and I will put you in touch with the board of directors. Thanks for being so proactive

mtbr member
    Tim

Please be patient with PAS. NO MTB volunteer trail days are allowed until the USFS give us the green light. I am hoping the powers that be in the PAS will update folks on the situation asap. There are new volunteer rules being established for all volunteer groups not just SORBA. I assure you there are a bunch of devoted members(and non members) who would like nothing more than to get back to trail work. There are also a ton of folks who don't volunteer and just ride who would like nothing more than to have their trail worked on by other folks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Maida-
    Do you know when the next PAS meeting is? I can't find it on the website. If I can't make that, I'll take you up on your contact info. Thanks.

Snototter-
    I didn't mean to come off as impatient, I just want to do my part to maintain what I ride. I'm concerned that we're going to go into the winter with little maintenance done, and come out in the spring with a mess on our hands. I wasn't trying to put PAS on the spot, I just wanted to know if we had other avenues to use to get things done. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.
    Tim

pronounced may-duh
    Maida-
    Do you know when the next PAS meeting is? I can't find it on the website. If I can't make that, I'll take you up on your contact info. Thanks.

Tim
    Chapter meetings are the 2nd Monday of every other month. The next one should be on October 11th. I assume it will be 7:00PM at Beef O' Brady's in Fletcher.

pronounced may-duh
    Info added to the website here http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1590

pronounced may-duh
    If you ever have an idea, dream, opportunity. urge to do great things you can contact PAS by using the form on this page

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hope to see y'all and meet some new folks on Oct. 11. Thanks Maida.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Maida-

Snototter-
    I didn't mean to come off as impatient, I just want to do my part to maintain what I ride. I'm concerned that we're going to go into the winter with little maintenance done, and come out in the spring with a mess on our hands. I wasn't trying to put PAS on the spot, I just wanted to know if we had other avenues to use to get things done. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.
    Tim

Tim it is all good. I am trying my hardest to put PAS on the spot but am having no luck.

We have been extremely lucky to have a dry summer while there is no trail work being done. If we were to have a summer like last year with all the rain things would be very different. This winter could get mucky if we are not allowed back in to do just simple trail work. I know I don't have to tell folks this but we all know when you are dealing with the US government nothing happens fast. Again don't give up on us and please please take an interest in a membership to PAS. Power in numbers. Look at how much clout large clubs have when they want to get things done or recognized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I will definitely try to make it to the meeting on the 11th. Is that the one off of 25 in Arden?

pronounced may-duh
    I will definitely try to make it to the meeting on the 11th. Is that the one off of 25 in Arden?
    yep

mtbr member
    We still have the abillity to work in Dupont. Somebody just has to organize a day to work.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Seeing the interest in doing trail work is wonderful!

PAS and the local USFS are rapidly moving forward with having active crews doing trail work again. We are more than well aware of the need for maintenance activities at BC, Laurel Mountain, and the other trails assigned to PAS.

The best way to stay informed regarding these developments is to be a PAS member. We have recently been set up to distribute e-newsletters to all members so we can get facts out in a timely and concise manner.

Information will also be updated as needed on the PAS website.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I know that PAS sometimes gets the crap end of the stick- thanks for all you guys do, and looking forward to being a part of it.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great discussion, and great questions. I look forward to getting out and doing some more trail work.

Members who have read this thread: 0