Pisgah area trail maps...- Mtbr.com
    They say I have a problem

Pisgah area trail maps...

I posted in Passion a few weeks back about coming down from Ontario for some riding this spring....I'm looking for trail maps of the area...I've ordered the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map for the area (as recommended on the MTB WNC web site)....Does this map have it all and in good detail, or should I keep searching online...

I'll be back later this spring looking for info on preferred rides and trailheads to help in making this one awesome trip...

Thanks,
    Rich

PS....It's Friday and a prefect time to fit some surfing into the work day...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yep

that's the map you want, & yes, it is very detailed. I would still check with one of the bike stores in Bravard to get them to highlight the best routes for you. It is still relatively easy to get lost even though most trails are marked clearly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used to use the trail books by Jim Parham and they were great. They were very detailed and we never got lost!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by carter1
    I used to use the trail books by Jim Parham and they were great. They were very detailed and we never got lost!
    Then your not going fast enough!

I did a search at amazon.com (the canadian site) and the Pisgah book has limited availability...It's out of print...I will keep the book in mind however...

Thanks,
    Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rich, I still see the Parham books in local bike shops. Jim Parham used to live in the Tsali area and was very familier with all the trails, I'm just getting back into riding after a 5 year layoff, so I may not be the best source. You might call the Nantahala Outdoor Center (704-488-2175) and ask them about Jim's books, he used to live close by. The books were published by WMC Publishing P.O. Box 158, Almond, NC 28702 and they were called the Off The Beaten Track series.

Thanks....

I'll do an online search too and see if I can find more on the book...

Jan 2004

Books

Yea those are great books to have for mtn biking in pigah, bent creek, dupont and other areas in WNC. I have 2 of them and they are very detailed and pretty much up to date. You should defn check them out. I bought mine used online for pretty cheap....

Heads up Flyboy!!
    When your in the area of Brevard, stop by Back Country Outdoors by the entrance to Pisgah National Forest: Pisgah Ranger District. They'll have all the maps and books you'll need. Look for the book Mountain biking North Carolina by Tim Muth and published by Falcon. Its very detailed and has some good rides in it. Dupont State Forest is only a 30 minute drive from there and offers up about 90 miles worth of trails with some slick rock, Waterfalls, doubletrack, single track, and fire-roads. Most bike shops have free maps of this system and its very well marked.
    For those of you looking for epics in the area of 20-60 miles in length, I will have my new website up soon for mountain biking in Western North Carolina. While it will focus mostly on rides in the Pisgah National Forest of the Asheville/Brevard area. It will also contain info on the Moses Creek area of Nantahala National Forest around Collowhee, Wilson Creek area of Blowing Rock, and Curtis Creek area around Black MOuntain with the Heartbreak Ridge Ride. I'll post the name of the site as soon asit is up.

Jeremy

Jan 2004
    Hey jermey i was wondering if you can send me the link of your webpage whenever you finish it.... I ride a lot in dupont and bent creek area and have tried a few places up in pisgah but i would like to know better places to go up there b/c i just get lost most of the time since i don't really know the area up there too well.... thanks you can IM me at AIM on ragefan585 or email me at [email protected] thanks...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeh Jeremy, I would be interesed in getting that link as well. I've ridden most everything out of Davidson River, Mills River and Turkey Pen Gap, but that was 10 years ago. I would be very interested in getting up to date.

mtbr member
    Parham just updated that book, so perhaps that why you are seeing it (the old version) as out of print. You should be able to pick it up in any bike shop in Asheville.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll just add that weather using Parham's book, or Timm Muth's book, or another source, take a look at their recommendations and piece your own rides together. Many of their loops overlap, so if you see some features you like, you can put things together for longer/shorter hillier/flatter rides, or whatever.

And by all means, go to the LBS in Brevard. Either the one mentioned above, or Sycamore Cycles accross the street. If they give you good advice, buy something :-)...

Have fun, you can't go wrong in Pisgah unless you get lost.

Feb 2004

Books

Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Thanks....

I'll do an online search too and see if I can find more on the book...
    Milestone Press
    You can buy it here online. I have two of his books Pisgah and Tsali.