Pisgah - 4/4 & 4/5 riding fun- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pisgah - 4/4 & 4/5 riding fun

For those of you (and me) not headed to Warrior Creek on the 4th, Saturday is shaping up to be a fine spring day in Pisgah, Sunday is possibly a bit less choice but it's just a chance of showers and that's no reason not to ride

So far it looks like Saturday or Sunday there's interest in a ride out of the hatchery with the goal of miles and a good bit of gravel planned (NC_dirtsurfer). For Sunday I'm hearing rumors of some PMBAR like attitude riding up and down Black (not sure what combination of Clawhammer, Maxwell, Buckhorn, Black), some S. Mills crossings, some Squirrel, and maybe a down Bennett or Avery return. I would guess this will happen out of the stables.

Also on Saturday there's a group doing trail work on Squirrel - so say howdy and thanks if you pass them by.

Anyone interested in any/all of the above????
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Just rode Squirrel yesterday and it needs work. Seems like somebody fell off the outside edge every 100 feet. That trail needs some select root chopping to restore a bit of bench. On the plus side, no sign of horse poaching. There are a few newer downed trees, and one of them is huge.

Watch the log skinny just down from the chimney on S. Mills below Horse and Cantrell. The railing is half-down, making the tread narrower and the ride a LOT more scary.

Squirrel is really under-rated.

ohhman

Sunday Sunday

Tentative Schedule
    AM at the Stables.
    Up 'ole Clawhammer- out Buckhorn to S. Mills
    Out n' Back on Squirrel
    Back up S. Mills and Buckhorn
    Up Black -Up/Down Buckwheat
    Down Bennett.

This is based on a no go into labor scenario.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    Also on Saturday there's a group doing trail work on Squirrel - so say howdy and thanks if you pass them by.
    And/or you can join them...us..we is us..whomever. Info here on the Pisgah Area SORBA forum

Keep in mind that trail work is gooooood cross training and excellent karma.

Finally, trail diggers love it when people pass through and give them beer

mtbr member
    May 2007
    trail work sat on squirrel. sun ride squirrel.
    mon....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm gonna be in Pisgah this weekend (fri-sun). Anybody got any good 'epic' routes besides those available on the pisgah sorba website?

Also, any locals have any idea how soggy the trails will be? Been getting much rain this week?

29er zealot
    I've got a 30 or so mile route planned Saturday around Heartbreak Ridge in Old Fort, if anyone is interested, the more the merrier!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bae984
    I'm gonna be in Pisgah this weekend (fri-sun). Anybody got any good 'epic' routes besides those available on the pisgah sorba website?

Also, any locals have any idea how soggy the trails will be? Been getting much rain this week?
    How much better than those rides do you need?

There's sure to be some wet trails, and there's sure to be some not-so-wet trails. The basic rule is stay on the ridges for the driest time. Trails like Black Mtn, Buckwheat, Bennett fit that description although Bennett will probably still be wet at the bottom. Laurel/Pilot should be OK, although a bit wetter in spots on Laurel. S. Mills will be nice and wet, but if you want EPIC then crossing the river 10 or 12 times can get you there for sure. Squirrel will be Squirrel, it can get treacherous when slick, but always fun.

On the gravel plan - I did forest roads (5003/140A/5031) out towards Farlow and Courthouse Creek last week so I want some single track. But I would recommend those over just plain gravel any day as the scenery is awesome. They hold up pretty well in the rain and they will give you lots of climbing with some 30MPH bombing downhill. Carry spare tubes though, we had a rash of flats in the group.

Be sure to check in at a LBS (Hub) for the latest scoop when you get to the gates of Pisgah.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How much better than those rides do you need?
    Oh, I don't know. I was thinking about trying the 'Epic Death March' ride from the website on Saturday. Just have all weekend to ride. Maybe I'll plan on going by the longer queue sheets Fri and Sat and finding your group ride on Sunday if it's still going on. Probably can customize based on the trail maps on the website and take some advice from bike shops.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You'll fit right in around here. Don't forget to reverse the preferred direction of travel, ensuring maximum hike-a-bike and minimum reward. The joy will come later, savoring the reaction of mere mortals, as you tell the tale

banned

come on Maida

Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    BEWARE:

The epics on the PAS site are super duper hard. Plan on 6-8 hours of riding. If you finish in under 5 then your a very fast person. If you make a wrong turn or get hurt or have a mechanical, you may end up spending the night in the woods.

I'm planning a 25 mile make up ride in DuPont for those who got rained out last weekend. Saturday, 10:00AM starting at Guion parking area. We will either follow the STT 25 mile route or make something up. There will be no rest stops so bring your own food and drink.
    how come you are riding the senior ladies route?

pronounced may-duh
    BEWARE:

The epics on the PAS site are super duper hard. Plan on 6-8 hours of riding. If you finish in under 5 then your a very fast person. If you make a wrong turn or get hurt or have a mechanical, you may end up spending the night in the woods.

I'm planning a 25 mile make up ride in DuPont for those who got rained out last weekend. Saturday, 10:00AM starting at Guion parking area. We will either follow the STT 25 mile route or make something up. There will be no rest stops so bring your own food and drink.

banned
    If your on a "Epic Death March" Soggy doesn't matter, its all part of it.One speed,one pie will provide you with a Death march.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the park at black mountain, up blk mtn to turkey pen to vinyard and back death march!!!!???

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    how come you are riding the senior ladies route?
    Listen Punk! How many laps are you gonna pull at that race this weekend? Let compare notes later and see who's got more elevation.

Actually, I'm soft. 44 miles unsupported is not a regular weekend ride for me. Did I tell you that I got my ass kicked by an 11 year old a few years ago.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hmmmm.. How does Pisgah compare to Pinhoti in GA?

I was looking at the 39 miler on the PAS site. 8k ft of climbing... What goes up, etc, etc.

How hard is it to find the turns if you're not local? Does it take you in the non-preferred direction of travel?

banned

Turns are ok

I was looking at the 39 miler on the PAS site. 8k ft of climbing... What goes up, etc, etc.

How hard is it to find the turns if you're not local? Does it take you in the non-preferred direction of travel?
    There are usually signs at each turn, just make sure you have a map.The routes on the PAS site take you in the right direction for most trails, but some of the trails around the Ranger station- district are remote, so heed Maida's advice....this ain't Georgia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Pinhotti is easy compared to Pisgah, unless you are talking abou the last eight or so miles of the snake creek gap route, then it is similar, only more climbing

banned

???????????

Punk? seems a little sensitive to me. If you wanna compare notes all you gotta do is look at the last 2 rides we've done, Nick posted the GPS data. You were there for the first half of the one with the georgia crowd. It was around 5300' and the one this past sunday was 7000'. Maybe a little mano-e-mano competition is in order. I will call you tomorrow to set up something for sunday or monday, which ever is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Listen Punk! How many laps are you gonna pull at that race this weekend? Let compare notes later and see who's got more elevation.

Actually, I'm soft. 44 miles unsupported is not a regular weekend ride for me. Did I tell you that I got my ass kicked by an 11 year old a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If the Sunday thing is still on, let us know what time at the stables. Not sure I'll have any internet access after this morning, but we'll see.

mtbr member
    I would guess around 10AM or so... I won't be sure if I can make it until the last minute. You might try stopping by The Hub on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning... it's within 10 minutes of the stables.
    many gears, some pies

Asheville YetiRider
    Count the YetiRider in for Sunday's ride/climb at the stables. Don't forget the Moonpies and I'll bring some Attitude. see ya at 10
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

pronounced may-duh
    That's a big pill.

Any of you want to ride Saturday at DuPont? 10:00AM at Guion for the 25 mile senior ladies route.

mtbr member
    I would love to have a couple more folks for the Saturday trailwork on Squirrel Gap Tr. We will be cutting downed trees and fixing some collapsed bench in a few spots. Go to pisgahareasorba.org for details. Contact me if you're coming so I can make sure we bring the right # of tools. I'll take some pictures and brag about you on this forum. I will even put your name in the report so that your mom can google you and see what a fine dirtbag she raised!

ohhman
    Last edited by salmansp; 04-04-2009 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'll make the Squirrel work. (if I don't somehow space it)

Did they find a nice, EMT-accessible site for the DuPont pump track? Not trying to be wise in any way. I just think that it needs to be close to parking and road access.

ohhman
    right by the kid's loop. Sky Valley

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    Very cool.

Is Ed Sutton in on this?

Please let me know if there is a volunteer work day. Preferably on a weekend. I'm sure a lot of people will come out to support this project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp

Perfect!

I'd better finish up my race cruiser... and get going on a 20", too.

ohhman
    We are going to have a 10-15 man party of volunteers on it. probably a Fri-Sat. We are allowed to camp out. Ed will be out there slinging out directions. The plans for it are awesome. Pump track to the utmost potential. We will post with Sorba when it will all go down and have a volunteer sign up--- wouldn't want it over-crowed during building.

mtbr member
    Seems like Sunday needs to be moved up 30 minutes, meet-up ~ 9AM, on the trail by 9:30 from the Stables. No certainty on the route other than up and over Buckhorn Gap, some out, back, around on Squirrel and S Mills, and back to the stables later via Black, Buckwheat and Bennett.
    many gears, some pies

ohhman

Sunday

I'd like to make a reservation for 5 on the Squirrel Ride please.

mtbr member
    Squirrel will be nice, I walked about 4 miles of it today with the trail repair crew. Conditions are very good overall. One group cleared numerous log-overs (they had a chainsaw) while the other group laid a nice rock tread on a nasty muddy spot near Cantrell. Lots more rideable now, even for someone technically challenged like me
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Plus Carlos and the super-model-lookin' guy cut back the briars and saplings that usually leave you so torn up after a trip through Squirrel.

It's a gem.

Members who have read this thread: 0