Pigsah Trip = Location and Guide Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pigsah Trip = Location and Guide Suggestions

Pigsah is on my bucket lists of places to ride. I am planning a Oct-Nov trip and want to get in 4 days of riding. I have plan on staying in Asheville. I've done some googling and figured I would just ask the experts here on mtbr. Any suggestions would be appreciated on the following:

1. Best hotels in Asheville to stay
    2. Bike shops just in case of last minute repairs/supplies
    3. Must do trails
    4. Guides: any outfitters or guides I can hire to show me the trails and avoid getting lost. Will be flying solo.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

drunken pirate
    Search the forum and you'll find many answers to your questions.

Personally, I would recommend staying in Brevard if you are coming here primarily for riding.

Stop in at The Hub, buy a map and some other stuff, and ask them for trail suggestions.

The trails are very well marked and blazed and you really don't need a professional guide but if you want a guide I recommend Pura Vida Adventures. They have been around for awhile and will put together the perfect trip for you.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    Also check out the SORBA Meetup
    PAS - Advanced ride at Casual pace - Swank route - Asheville Mountain Biking Meetup Group (Asheville, NC) - Meetup
    They get rides together different days

Brevard vs Asheville would really depend more on where you want to ride.

If you plan on Bent Creek, I would stay in Asheville
    If you want to ride Dupont and Bracken then I would stay in Brevard.

Personally, I think I like Bent Creeks trails a little better but the scenery at Dupont is a little nicer. However, they are both great and you won't be disappointed with either.
    Bracken is just the cherry on the top. It is a nice trail with a lot of climb but not very long trail.

Bike shops in Brevard are The Hub and Sycamore Cycles
    They are less then a mile from each other and both very good from what I hear.

In Asheville, a lot of people seem to like Carolina Fatz (it is close to Bent Creek)
    Also there is an REI which probably has the best hours

Another option is to stay in Hendersonville.
    It is half way between both Asheville and Brevard (about half hour to either trail system) and would probably be a little cheaper hotel stay.

There is a Sycamore Cycle here too and it is probably the better bike shop.

Here is a list of bike shops though through the area.

Bicycle Shops in Western North Carolina

Good maps are about $13 ea for the two places but well worth it and the trails are all marked well so there is no worries of getting lost if you can even just kind of read a map. I bought mine a Sycamore Cycles in Hendersonville, but I am sure all the bike shops carry them.

mtbr member
    If you're on FB search "Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures." Some nice local guys started up a guide service, and I know they know the trails well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks All for the links! Can't wait to hit the trails in NC.

Faster Mustache
    Aug 2006
    Dupont State Forest is a great place to ride that time of the year - awesome views and fall color plus great trails. They are less technical and easier to follow than Pisgah stuff. Make sure you get to the top of Cedar Rock. You can pick up a map at Sycamore Cycles in Brevard.

For the ultimate in technical and backcountry singletrack, Pisgah has miles and miles. Try parking at the Fish Hatchery in Brevard, or at the Mills River Recreation area in Mills River, NC. Grab the Pisgah Ranger District Map (National Geographic map #780).

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Asheville YetiRider
    If you want knowledgable and friendly guides, we would love to show you around the Pisgah trails. Check out our website at
    Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures
    Keep in mind that the first 10 trips with us are free, so book soon. We have 4 more free trips left.
    If you want a cool cottage in Asheville try Asheville Vacation Rental - VRBO 169068 - 2 BR Smoky Mountains House in NC, Walk to Downtown from Charming Cottage, in Historic Montford Call for availablity and ask for Rebecca.
    Thanks SketchyD for the shout out. Keep riding and have fun!
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

mtbr member
    1. Haywood Park
    2. Indigo
    3. Brand new Aloft is supposed to open tomorrow. I'm very excited about that one because I suspect it's going to have my favorite view ever from that rooftop.
    all the above are downtown, and so walking distance to bars and restaurants. none will be super cheap but I looked at Aloft's website and it looks like $149ish.

Other than those, just find a serviceable chain hotel somewhere, it doesn't really matter. the only hotels that SHOULD be cheap in downtown AREN'T.

Unless you have no interest in cool architecture, great restaurants, fantastic views, a food truck scene, and a ridiculous number of great local brewing....stay in Asheville. THere's another thread nearby where we argue Brevard vs. Asheville , take a look.

Do you have a woman with you? Are you well off? then you might want to consider the Grove Park Inn, although you'll have to drive to dinner (food there is $$$$$$$$$ and mediocre)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    1. Haywood Park
    2. Indigo
    3. Brand new Aloft is supposed to open tomorrow. I'm very excited about that one because I suspect it's going to have my favorite view ever from that rooftop.
    all the above are downtown, and so walking distance to bars and restaurants. none will be super cheap but I looked at Aloft's website and it looks like $149ish.

Other than those, just find a serviceable chain hotel somewhere, it doesn't really matter. the only hotels that SHOULD be cheap in downtown AREN'T.

Unless you have no interest in cool architecture, great restaurants, fantastic views, a food truck scene, and a ridiculous number of great local brewing....stay in Asheville. THere's another thread nearby where we argue Brevard vs. Asheville , take a look.

Do you have a woman with you? Are you well off? then you might want to consider the Grove Park Inn, although you'll have to drive to dinner (food there is $$$$$$$$$ and mediocre)
    Thank you for the recommendations! Not with a woman, but a Bro weekend. And, yes very interested in all of the above mentioned. Not too worried about cost since we can afford above mentioned. I have some homework before we ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Asheville YetiRider View Post
    If you want knowledgable and friendly guides, we would love to show you around the Pisgah trails. Check out our website at
    Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures
    Keep in mind that the first 10 trips with us are free, so book soon. We have 4 more free trips left.
    If you want a cool cottage in Asheville try Asheville Vacation Rental - VRBO 169068 - 2 BR Smoky Mountains House in NC, Walk to Downtown from Charming Cottage, in Historic Montford Call for availablity and ask for Rebecca.
    Thanks SketchyD for the shout out. Keep riding and have fun!
    I will be calling you guys soon. Not worried about the free trips. My brother and I will be there for 3 full days of riding. I figured we would do 1 to 2 days guided. I do alot of guided trips around the US and Canada and just find it is so worth the expense to have an expert guide through the trails. Also, I like tour signature. I just ordered a yellow SC Tallboy LT Carbon and will be bringing it on this trip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork View Post
    Thank you for the recommendations! Not with a woman, but a Bro weekend. And, yes very interested in all of the above mentioned. Not too worried about cost since we can afford above mentioned. I have some homework before we ride!
    Glad to help. Here's the thread I was talking about. I ramble a bit about restaurants, breweries, neighborhoods etc. You can ignore the parts about Grove Park Inn...unless it's the kind of Bro weekend where you want to get Gentlemen's Facials after the ride and share a sunset together ;-)

http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...le-802444.html

p.s. If I had 4 days, I would try to do, Bent Creek IF the trails are dry one day. Bent Creek is closest to A'ville (10 min) and would be good if you're doing a short one. Dupont (longest drive from a'ville...maybe 45 min) for my easy day, and 2 days in Pisgah "proper", starting from the Fish hatchery one day and doing Laurel Mtn /etc. the next.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    Glad to help. Here's the thread I was talking about. I ramble a bit about restaurants, breweries, neighborhoods etc. You can ignore the parts about Grove Park Inn...unless it's the kind of Bro weekend where you want to get Gentlemen's Facials after the ride and share a sunset together ;-)

http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...le-802444.html

p.s. If I had 4 days, I would try to do, Bent Creek IF the trails are dry one day. Bent Creek is closest to A'ville (10 min) and would be good if you're doing a short one. Dupont (longest drive from a'ville...maybe 45 min) for my easy day, and 2 days in Pisgah "proper", starting from the Fish hatchery one day and doing Laurel Mtn /etc. the next.
    Listen to her. She gives good advice as she is the local travel/tour guide! Even though she doesn't even live here!

Members who have read this thread: 0