Paris Mountain Trail Day PART II - Saturday March 24th 2012- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Paris Mountain Trail Day PART II - Saturday March 24th 2012

All, The trail we all worked on January 7th is completely cut in from top to bottom (it is actually rideable now and if you haven’t, you should definitely check it out). This trail day will be to "smooth out the rough edges" and do some finishing work. I am posting this thread for Jarret Peek and the Park. Questions, let us know.

Jay

What:
    Sulphur Springs XC Trail Work Day Part II – SC State Parks

When:
    Saturday, March 24th
    Start: 9:00 a.m.
    Stop: 1:00 p.m. or as long as you wish to stay

Where:
    Paris Mountain State Park, 2401 State Park RD, Greenville, SC 29609.
    Vehicle/Participant Parking: Meet at the large parking lot on the left across from the Park Main Office at the bottom of the mountain.

What’s in it for you?:
    - For those that enjoy the XC trails at the park this offers a safer option to climb to the top of the mountain as opposed to the current route of climbing the paved route and sharing that route with vehicle traffic. This new trail will start/end at the Archery parking lot and work its way up the mountain ending at the top of the mountain just past the trailhead/parking lot on the right side of the road.
    - Feel good by contributing to the creation and maintenance of the Paris Mountain Trail System… a lot of work goes in keeping the trails active of which we each like to enjoy as bikers and/or hikers.

Please sign up here so that we can keep track of headcount:
    Service Project - Paris Mountain State Park - Greenville REI

Who else is going to be there lending a hand?:
    - GE Employees
    - REI GVL Employees
    - Local Bike Enthusiasts – YOU!
    - Park Management Staff
    - Team Billy Goat Bikes – Mountain Khakis
    - The more the marrier!

What do you need to bring?:
    - A rested good spirit ready to get your hands dirty. No prior trail building experience is required.
    - BYOF&W (Food and Water)

What will be provided?:
    - Tools – Shovels, Rakes, Hoes, Saws, etc.
    - Feel free to bring your own tools if you prefer, but please be responsible for your own personal items.

Other:
    - Remember, there is no bike riding at the park on Saturday, so unfortunately you will not be able to ride it after you work i
    - Park Admission : $2/adult; $1.25 SC Seniors; free for those 15 and younger
    - In the event we experience Rain or Snow, the trail day will be rescheduled (no alternate date yet planned)

Contacts:
    - Shaun Lewellyn (Event Coordinator) Park Ranger: 864-244-5565, [email protected]
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    I'm in. See you there.

BTW the new trail is outstanding. Way fun.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any word on the fate of the original portion of the trail and whether or not there will be a downhill race later this year? I realize there is a significant erosion problem but I would miss the technical features of the existing trail if it were to be closed down.

mtbr member
    The trail is still there. I haven't heard an official word on the plans, but there are three areas where the new trail cuts into the old. Two of those locations are significant and pretty much make the old trail to the point where you can't flow all the way down from top to bottom without slowing way down and having to ride over a berm or an obstacle.

I am not in the know with the plans the Park has. If you know Jarret, ask him, he's plugged into the future plans. FYI. I was just posting for Jarret and the Park to generate some trail day interest.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Jay for posting.

The fate of the old trail is that it is old and will be no longer needed. As waterdog state the new reroute intersects the old trail 5 areas. I was informed on Monday that they will begin to scarify the old trail once finish work is completed on the new reroute.

As for the Paris Mtn Dh:
    Yes the race will happen this year. Our date is November 17-18. We will have the dh race on Saturday and are in the planning for an Enduro on Sunday. We have been given the park for the weekend and will fill it with all things bikes. As for the dh course we are working on that.

This space for rent!
    Hey Guys. Ran out of time a couple nights ago otherwise I would have tried it myself. Coming up the new trail from Archery range, at the top it appears you can either take a left and exit to top parking lot, or you can go straight, and it seems to continue for a bit sort of downhill. Where exactly does it end?

Thanks,

Chuck

P.S. New trail is great so far!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you go straight it continue to the entrance of the top parking area.

This space for rent!
    But isn't there another new section? If you come from the top parking lot, you enter via some new stone steps going up. Not far from there you can take a right which goes all the way down to the Archery Range. But you can also take a left there. I followed it for a couple minutes, and it seemed to wind around a little bit, and slightly downhill. Looked to continue on for a while, but I had to turn back. That's the part that seems new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It takes you to the top parking lot. Not the cul de sac parking.

This space for rent!
    Hmmm. Wasn't aware of another one. So the cul de sac one is where they removed the round median last year, and this top parking lot is somewhere down that road beyond the gate?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yep. go thru the gate at the cul de sac and a hundred yard or so you come to the Camp Buckhorn Gate and the new parking lot is on the left. i believe the parks plan is to do away with the cul de sac parking and make people use the new parking lot. they also will be putting in parking barriers along the side of the rode up top to alleviate the bottle necking that goes on when people park on the side of the rode up top.

mtbr member
    I'm in. It's great to see trail advocacy at work. This has been in the works for over 4 years. Greenville has a thriving mountain bike community that can get things done. Thanks for everybody's effort over the years.

This space for rent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    yep. go thru the gate at the cul de sac and a hundred yard or so you come to the Camp Buckhorn Gate and the new parking lot is on the left. i believe the parks plan is to do away with the cul de sac parking and make people use the new parking lot. they also will be putting in parking barriers along the side of the rode up top to alleviate the bottle necking that goes on when people park on the side of the rode up top.
    Thanks, haven't been down past the gate in a couple years. Guess I'm missing out!

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rain or shine?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rain or shine baby. Nothing like getting sloppy on a Saturday.

mtbr member
    Sorry boys, my brother's in town and gotta hang with him. I'm sure you'll still have a good turnout. People are eager to work 'round these parts.

Thanks to everyone involved. You guys are killin it and Paris keeps getting better and better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can someone clarify where the archery parking lot is at Paris Mtn? I'm a little confused on where the newly cut trail runs to. I'm familiar with the main parking lot and the parking lot which I use most of the time at the split of Sulphur Springs and Brissy Ridge. Thanks

This space for rent!
    If you're on Mountain Creek trail, and after those two steep rooted sections, there is a turn off to the left over a few rocks. A hundred yards after there is a small parking lot, maybe 5 or 6 spaces total. That's it. The new trail Sulfur Springs re-route starts at it. Or from the road, it's about 1/3 of the way up the steep road climb after the shelters on the left and the sign that warns no trailers beyond this point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You've got the main parking lots near the bathhouse. You then have the Sulphur Springs parking lot which is mid-way up the mountain; where the hiking only portion of Sulphur Springs Trail begins (picnic shelters 5 & 6). You then have the parking lot at the very top of the mountain. The Archery Range parking lot is in between the Sulphur Springs parking lot and the top of the mountain, on your right if you are heading up the mountain. It is the only parking lot on your right, after the Sulphur Springs parking lot. Check out Upstate Sorba's website for a more detailed map. Hope that helps. And since your handle is Solid Orange - don't forget how many days it has been.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hahaha...way too many days. But, I'm old enough to realize it all goes in cycles. Thanks for explaining it better for me guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Orange View Post
    Can someone clarify where the archery parking lot is at Paris Mtn? I'm a little confused on where the newly cut trail runs to. I'm familiar with the main parking lot and the parking lot which I use most of the time at the split of Sulphur Springs and Brissy Ridge. Thanks
    There is also this map:

New Sulphur Springs Trail routing

The Archery parking lot is the yellow patch to the lower right. There are parts of the old and new trail around; I'm not sure which will be permanent.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_sc View Post
    There is also this map:

New Sulphur Springs Trail routing

The Archery parking lot is the yellow patch to the lower right. There are parts of the old and new trail around; I'm not sure which will be permanent.

We'll be out there @ 9am - noon this Saturday for an impromptu Trail day to scarify the sections of the old trail, what we don't get accomplished on Saturday there's another Hand's on Greenville day at the Park May 5th that will complete the scarifying

Members who have read this thread: 0