Palmetto trail up in the Mtns, why no bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Palmetto trail up in the Mtns, why no bikes?

Years ago I bikepacked on the Palemetto trail down near the coast - Swamp Fox Passage. Come to find out now that I am exploring here around Saluda, we've got the Saluda Mountain Passage of the Palmetto Trail....but no wheels!

Anyone know any details on why? Ever been talks about allowing us out there? I only ever see a couple cars at the trailheads out here......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I remember correctly, as far as the Saluda Mountain Passage goes, the trail bordering the Greenville Watershed property is why no bikes. I think it took a lot of arm twisting to even allow the trail to be built in the first place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Punker View Post
    If I remember correctly, as far as the Saluda Mountain Passage goes, the trail bordering the Greenville Watershed property is why no bikes. I think it took a lot of arm twisting to even allow the trail to be built in the first place.
    Ahhhh, brilliant. That does make sense, yeah it's the one bordering the watershed.

mtbr member
    Been cover ad nauseum here.

Short story, land managers for these areas do not want mountain biking on these trails. This includes DNR, Duke Energy, Nature Conservancy.

Palmetto Trail from Oconee State Park to Oconee Station IS open to bikes, but it's only 3 miles. Steep fun, miles BTW.

Palmetto Conservation Foundation is re-routing the Palmetto Trail to run under HWY 11 on USFS land avoiding this issue. They broke ground in November and first section from Walhalla will be complete by end of 2018. This is a result of several attempts to get the original PT open to bikes on those sections. They went all the way to federal government to try and get those sections open, but the decision lies with land managers.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Punker View Post
    the trail bordering the Greenville Watershed property is why no bikes
    Bikes poop a lot so that makes sense

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Been cover ad nauseum here.

Short story, land managers for these areas do not want mountain biking on these trails. This includes DNR, Duke Energy, Nature Conservancy.

Palmetto Trail from Oconee State Park to Oconee Station IS open to bikes, but it's only 3 miles. Steep fun, miles BTW.

Palmetto Conservation Foundation is re-routing the Palmetto Trail to run under HWY 11 on USFS land avoiding this issue. They broke ground in November and first section from Walhalla will be complete by end of 2018. This is a result of several attempts to get the original PT open to bikes on those sections. They went all the way to federal government to try and get those sections open, but the decision lies with land managers.

Ad nauseum you say? Quick search didn't pull up a thing about the upper trail, eg Saluda passage. Info on oconee. But anyways good Intel, thank you sir. That's great to hear they are going out of their way to allow wheels.

I'll have to check out the section near Oconee, sounds rad!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Ad nauseum you say? Quick search didn't pull up a thing about the upper trail, eg Saluda passage. Info on oconee. But anyways good Intel, thank you sir. That's great to hear they are going out of their way to allow wheels.

I forget what I searched for, but I found posts dating all the way back to early 2000s when complaints began after DNR said no mountain biking, when mountain bikers put in volunteer work after being told that the trail would be open to bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post

You can actually ride the trails in Oconee State Park even though they are technically not open to bikes. Park managers allow it. A good ride can be had if you park at Oconee Station Falls parking lot, ride up the PT into the park, around the trails and back down. 15 miles or so with a 1000 ft climb at the beginning, which is your descent back down. Be careful because you can hit 40+ MPH on the fist 2 miles down. Hikers hike up often.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a sordid history with the section between 178 and Table Rock State Park. The section was intended to be open to mountain bikes, but was quickly closed to the same. It's been so long I don't remember if it was open for a short period of time before it was closed, or it was built with the intent of being multi-use and then the old bait and switch happen. There were official reasons given for the closure and then plenty gossip about the unofficial reasons.

mtbr member
    Official reason is environmentally sensitive area (i.e. endangered species, fauna, Flora); rumored reason is hunters disapprove and DNR sides with that party.