Palmetto Trail Pics- Lake Moultrie Passage- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Palmetto Trail Pics- Lake Moultrie Passage

Hello, I'm new to biking trails and to mtbr.com. Last weekend, my girlfriend and I took a ride on the Lake Moultrie Passage of the Palmetto Trail. What else is to be said... wildlife was amazing. We saw about 8 alligators... 2 of which were about 20 feet away. Beautiful birds and the flowers around the swamps were great. We rode about 15 mi round trip from the Rediversion Canal to Sandy Beach Camp. Amazing ride, good exercise, and not too challenging but hard enough. Definitely, recommend this portion of trail. Some of the others go through some questionable areas and the trail can get hard to spot in places. Awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What do you do if an alligator is taking a nap on the trail?

I think I would head the other way. If you are good, you could jump him without waking him up. I ran over a copperhead one time, but I don't think I would try that with a gator.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

29er zealot
    Nice photos! The one with the alligator just sunning, chilling is pretty cool. I've always wondered what they were thinking when they're just sitting there! Do you have any on the trail shots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    What do you do if an alligator is taking a nap on the trail?

I think I would head the other way. If you are good, you could jump him without waking him up. I ran over a copperhead one time, but I don't think I would try that with a gator.
    I used to Caddy at Kiawah Island and those gators are all over down there. On one particular hole we called it alligator alley because of a pond that housed a plethora of gators. There was a shortcut you could take that paralleled the pond.

One particular day I was walking on the shortcut and there was a smaller(ish) gator (6 or 7 feet) chilling on the shortcut. I really didn't want to turn back but I didn't want to walk by it either. I was eating an apple so I chucked the apple as hard as I could at the side of its head. The apple took a one hopper right by the gator's head and the gator snatched it out of the air with its jaws like a well honed house dog catching a tennis ball.

I turned around and walked the long way that day.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Apr 2009
    Doubtful to see a gator directly blocking your trail. They are usually in the water, except for early spring. Once it gets hot, they have to stay cool. Really, the gators are just as scared of us as we are of them. Most of the time, they will just take off into the water. But if for some reason a gator chases you, you should zig zag, b/c they are faster in a straight line....

Members who have read this thread: 0