Outer Banks?

Any good riding in the Outer Banks?

mtbr member
    You're better off taking a road bike.
    Zippity do dah...

pronounced may-duh
    when in rome... Rent a beach cruiser, Ride in your flip flops

mtbr member
    When I'm on Ocracoke for the week I rent one of those crappy single speed beach cruisers and peddle that thing about 10-15 miles a day. @30 lbs +, with a rusty chain, and into a head wind 1/2 the time you get plenty of exercise. Have a six-pack before you ride and throw in the challenge of avoiding drivers who have also had a six-pack (or more) and there's even a reasonable danger factor.
    many gears, some pies

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Don't take a bike you care about to the beach....just not worth it.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you want to ride double track there are trails in Nags Head Woods . The singletrack is owned by the Nature Conservacy and is only open to hikers . There is little traffic and it is a beautiful maritime forest to ride through . When you get to the McDonalds in Nags Head take a right and when you get to the dirt road park at the visitors center . Once you hit the packed dirt you will come to a T , go right to see Run Hill left takes you to the sound and a 20' bluff that looks out towards Manteo .
    Yes I look like Fred

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I was just there last week. I found maybe one of two places on a whole island that rents decent road bikes and road from Corolla down to Nags Head. There is a rental shop that does group rides on the road and will show you all of the back roads so you don't have to stay down the highway the entire time. before you get to Nags Head, I think it is Kill Devil Hills or Kitty Hawk your find old Nags Head Road you want to take that all the way down to Nags Head that will become a trail and take you through the Nags Head ecological preserve when I was riding through that it was gravel and at times it seemed to be a little sketchy for a road bike however around it seem like there could have been some rolling segments and flowy hills around the area. I didn't have much time to explore but when we go next year I think I'm going to check all of that out. On Strava, the segment you want to look for it's called Pirates run and it begins right at or after old Nags Head Road if you search that area I'm sure you're find some other decent mountain bike trails but again, it's rather flat there.

Members who have read this thread: 1