Oskar blues enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Oskar blues enduro

Can anyone who has done this race in the past comment on the cutoff times for the stages? I road the course last weekend and had a tough time making the published cutoffs.

Maybe I'm just old and out of shape.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the cutoff times, but Green River Gamelands is a relatively difficult trail system. So age has little to do with it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My understanding is that the cutoffs are fairly strictly enforced because of other events going on during the day. You'd be better asking the organizers what to expect on that, though.

I doubt it's down to the minute but you aren't the only person that I've seen express concern over making them, so don't beat yourself up over it. I also doubt you'll be the only one behind the official cutoff.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Hopefully changing to a 11-46 will help a little.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just curious, is it possible to view parts of the race as a spectator?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by olantone View Post
    Just curious, is it possible to view parts of the race as a spectator?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Stage 3 is pretty dern accessible. If you want to hike up a bit, I bet there will be most spectators at the Bluff trail rock switchbacks. If I make it out there, that's where I'll be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    With all this rain and over 100 racers going downhill as fast as they can they are going to destroy this trail system.Oskar Blues probably doesnt want anyone racing on their trails with this kind of rain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntbkr68 View Post
    With all this rain and over 100 racers going downhill as fast as they can they are going to destroy this trail system.Oskar Blues probably doesnt want anyone racing on their trails with this kind of rain
    Oskar Blues doesn't own this trail system. NC Wildlife does.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    "Owning a trail system" is a weird thing for my brain to process. How about this....
    Land Owner: NCWRC
    Trail Builder (Original): MountainTrue
    Trail Maintainer: Carolina Mountain Club

NCWRC already doesn't want MTB to get any bigger/more popular. They're kind of ok with how it is, but don't get any ideas...that's the spirit of their gamelands plan from a few years ago. As far as I can tell there is zero interaction between MTB community and Carolina Mountain Club.

Oskar Blues if you're reading this....let's plan a workday this summer and give the trail some love. Get the chub wagon down there, let's get with the hiking group that built/maintains and work something out. I live right up the gorge in Saluda, ping me and I'll help out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post

Also I think he was saying Oskar Blues probably wouldn't let 100 racers rip up the Reeb Ranch trails, but they're cool with ripping up GR. Which is kind of interesting to ponder...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was referring to land manager, if you will. And I agree 100% about racing when wet. Never a good idea and I wish promoters wouldn't do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Also I think he was saying Oskar Blues probably wouldn't let 100 racers rip up the Reeb Ranch trails, but they're cool with ripping up GR. Which is kind of interesting to ponder...
    ... because they don't have to maintain those trails. To be fair however, Oskar Blues is a sponsor, not the event host/promoter.

mtbr member
    My impression of those trails from the 1 time I rode them is that they have seen very little maintenance. Honestly, I'm probably not going to race because I don't want to do more damage to the trails and the amount of maintenance I would have to do to my bike after riding in the wet.

Hopefully they will cancel or reschedule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    My impression of those trails from the 1 time I rode them is that they have seen very little maintenance. Honestly, I'm probably not going to race because I don't want to do more damage to the trails and the amount of maintenance I would have to do to my bike after riding in the wet.

Hopefully they will cancel or reschedule.
    You are correct. No organization perfoms regular maintenance. There was talk of PAS taking over responsibility for that a few years ago, but I'm not sure about the details. The race promoter will do trail work close to the event date and ask for a few volunteers, but other than that, no maintenance. This is why when trees fall across the trails, they're there for some time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Based on their Facebook post, the event is still going on. It looks like the enduro is continuing as planned, but the paddling segment was moved to another route for safety reasons, the run is as planned.

I think the complication of rescheduling probably has to do with it being one part of a three part event.

I doubt the event will have a huge impact outside of certain sections, the trails there seemed steep and natural enough to me that they'd drain out fine, although there will be a few sections that are for sure gonna be a little beat up. It would be nice for GRG to arrange for fixing those sections, especially if CMC is the group responsible for maintaining the trails there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Based on their Facebook post, the event is still going on. It looks like the enduro is continuing as planned, but the paddling segment was moved to another route for safety reasons, the run is as planned.

I think the complication of rescheduling probably has to do with it being one part of a three part event.

I doubt the event will have a huge impact outside of certain sections, the trails there seemed steep and natural enough to me that they'd drain out fine, although there will be a few sections that are for sure gonna be a little beat up. It would be nice for GRG to arrange for fixing those sections, especially if CMC is the group responsible for maintaining the trails there.
    I just received an email that said it would only be canceled for lightning or high winds. Which is what I anticipated.

mtbr member
    I rode it yesterday. Even after all the rain, the trails were in good shape. Not a lot of mud either. That place is a damn jungle though, luckily it drains great. I think it should stay the way it is. It is wild and raw, and not enough people ride there to ever really damage the trails from overuse.
    Plus, let's be honest, no normal trail crew is gonna go out and work on those trails consistently. They are a nightmare to get around in.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    I rode it yesterday. Even after all the rain, the trails were in good shape. Not a lot of mud either. That place is a damn jungle though, luckily it drains great. I think it should stay the way it is. It is wild and raw, and not enough people ride there to ever really damage the trails from overuse.
    Plus, let's be honest, no normal trail crew is gonna out and work on those trails consistently. They are a nightmare to get around in.
    Haha very true. a jungle for sure. heard WRC is gonna release some velociraptors out there......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    Plus, let's be honest, no normal trail crew is gonna out and work on those trails consistently. They are a nightmare to get around in.
    When I was out there 2 weeks ago I only saw 1 other person riding. All the hiking traffic was on the trail that parallels the river.

How were the creek crossings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    When I was out there 2 weeks ago I only saw 1 other person riding. All the hiking traffic was on the trail that parallels the river.

How were the creek crossings?
    The crossings were fine as well. I would actually ride out there more because it is so close to my house, but riding there solo is sketch when you realize you might be the only person out there.
    SEI Racing

Big Mac
    Haha very true. a jungle for sure. heard WRC is gonna release some velociraptors out there......
    Old mountain bike tires? Why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Old mountain bike tires? Why?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW68goC4_es

Big Mac
    Really? Why a slow clap? That shit was rich. Id expect nothing less than raucous applause.

since 4/10/2009
    heard WRC is gonna release some velociraptors out there......
    knowing velociraptors, they'd breed and quickly move on to other trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Tonight's rain has been pretty biblical around Saluda/Polk County. I-26 under 4 feet of water and closed between Saluda and Columbus. Soils at full saturation and high winds. 24-hr rain gauges in the gorge hovering around 4-6". This is pretty wild, racing or not.

I-26 closed in Polk County because of flooding | WLOS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Race has been pushed to Sunday (hopefully it'll go on Sunday!). Check Facebook.

mtbr member
    Race has been canceled. Organizer sent out photos of the damage caused by the rain.

since 4/10/2009
    saw the promoter's pics. Crazy stuff. Have really only had fairly small bits of rain at my house the past few days. Certainly no biblical deluges. Though I'm going to have some biblically tall grass before long if there's not enough of a break in the rain this weekend for me to mow. The sun JUST came out...maybe if I'm lucky it will dry out enough for me to at least mow a little bit this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Drove around Polk and Rutherford counties today. Hundreds of slides. Lots of areas with very vulnerable roads and single lane roads (because one lane fell off the slope). It's a mess out there. I hiked around GRGLs for about 30 minutes. Couldn't go 100 yards on Green River Cove trail without it being taken out by a slide. Truly a mess. One of the switchbacks on Bluff DH is 100% gone. A 5-ft DBH oak toppled in a slide and it's just gone....posted a bunch of pics to facebook, and a video of that Bluff switchback to the Green River Games page....

since 4/10/2009
    Drove around Polk and Rutherford counties today. Hundreds of slides. Lots of areas with very vulnerable roads and single lane roads (because one lane fell off the slope). It's a mess out there. I hiked around GRGLs for about 30 minutes. Couldn't go 100 yards on Green River Cove trail without it being taken out by a slide. Truly a mess. One of the switchbacks on Bluff DH is 100% gone. A 5-ft DBH oak toppled in a slide and it's just gone....posted a bunch of pics to facebook, and a video of that Bluff switchback to the Green River Games page....
    saw your pics/vids. pretty unreal out there. my neighbors are huge fans of hiking the gorge (I think that's one of their favorites) and I'll have to let them know this evening

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Green River Games hosting work weekend, raffle, outdoor movies. Facebook event link to come out tomorrow.

June 9-10 let's give the GRG some love!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Green River Games hosting work weekend, raffle, outdoor movies. Facebook event link to come out tomorrow.

June 9-10 let's give the GRG some love!
    Event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/862543293954120/