ORAMM Tire Recomendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

ORAMM Tire Recomendation

Probably not a new question, but I’ll ask anyway because I couldn’t find any good info in my quick search… I am doing ORAMM for the first time this year, intend to “race it” as opposed to ride it, and haven’t ridden the course yet (sounds like a recipe for disaster I know). I did the Iron Mountain race this past weekend (big fun by the way) up in Damascus and I assume the terrain will be +/- similar, but I don’t have a really good feel for how technical the trail portions of ORAMM are and what tire set up I should go with.

I normally like light / fast rolling tires, but was glad to have some extra protection at Iron Mtn with all of the rocks on the downhill portions of the course. I am pretty content with my rear tire choice (Maxxis Crossmark 29 x 2.1), but just can’t get happy with a front tire to balance light / fast rolling / durable enough to survive. I ran a Maxxis Ignitor @ Iron Mtn and was happy with the durability, but the tread pattern really only hooks up well when the ground is a little soft – I think the tall knobs just don’t grab well when it is dry / dusty or on gravel.

So the long winded question I am putting out for those who have done ORAMM is what front tire should I run on my hard tail 29er to find the sweet spot for motoring the climbs but also being able to hit the downhills hard and not be overly worried about ripping the tire. Side note – I am running tubeless on Stans wheels. Thanks for any ideas –

C

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    any tire that holds air will work...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think I'm going to do the race on a cyclocross bike. Less weight to drag up curtis creek and black mountain.
    Last edited by stevehollx; 07-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher
    I did the Iron Mountain race this past weekend (big fun by the way)
    You forgot to tell us how you ripped off the legs of all your competitors and went toe-to-toe with Sam until the very end, when a freak mechanical relegated you to a midpack finish.

With that kind of experience, ORAMM should be a piece of cake.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    You forgot to tell us how you ripped off the legs of all your competitors and went toe-to-toe with Sam until the very end, when a freak mechanical relegated you to a midpack finish.

With that kind of experience, ORAMM should be a piece of cake.
    Sorry, I think that comes across more snarky than I intended. It was funnier in my head.

ORAMM is basically three singletrack descents -- two of which are the same -- linked by a whole lotta' pedaling.

Kitsuma (descents 1 and 3) is like a short version of the long, narrow, off-camber descent from Iron Mountain. The one with the downed trees and some rocks, and good soil.

Heartbreak (descent 2) is like a long version of Pilot Rock. Sorta'. Not quite as rocky as Iron Mountain, a bit more soil, but rocky nonetheless.

The fire roads here are graded: Think the long, soul-crushing, midrace climb from IM, only longer. And the link from Heartbreak to Curtis Creek is in a lot better shape than the "roads" at Iron Mountain.

Overall, our trails get a lot more usage, so you can see the rocks to avoid them better than you can at IM. Our leaf cover has been ground in already; at IM, it was as if no one ever uses those trails! Plus they're slightly rockier to begin with, which makes it fun ...

I've been running Karmas (relatively new) around here with no problem tubeless. Of course, now that I say that, I'm done for ...

mtbr member
    crossmark in the rear for the long gravel, ignitor in the front for the few trail sections. or a mountain king. thats my vote and that's what works best for me.

If you're thinking this much about tires, you're doing it wrong. Think about fueling and hydration as these are much more important variables.
    My one says BRAP!

H8 H8 H8
    I'm all drunk and stuff, but I just have to ask -

All ya'll folks who are constantly changing your tires, suspension settings, nutrition, gearing, clothes, hydration system, fork, wheel set, helmet, sunglasses, shoes, frame, chain lube, chamois lube, grips, entire bike, etc. for each event....

How do you ever get to the point where you have and understand "Your Bike" ?

"This is my bike. As much as I would like to think it is special, there are many like it. But this one is mine. Without my bike I am nothing. Without my bike, I am nothing."

Or something like that.

Sorry. I don't post much anymore, so I figure it's best if I make it inflammatory.

Have fun at ORAMM, and don't forget to bring plenty water.

Pisgah sucks.

zb
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I'm not drunk. If I was able to race, I'd be taking my bike as is. Maybe an extra tube.

Comfort level = secure. Switching things around too much (anticipation) seems like it would be a distraction.

OP Question "Tires": Anything called Maxxis would probably be good. Be sure to change the air though...

Edit: Sorry, TD if I possibly cut in to your response to B'zard - I just had less to say.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Broussard sucks....aaaahahahaahahaah

mtbr member
    The bigger the better. Enjoy the suffer fest.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I just rode the length of Iron Mountain two weekends ago...not the race. It's similar to Heartbreak, but way more rocky than Kitsuma. As a racer you'll want to have the advantage on the climbs. If you are a skilled descender you should no problem with any of the descents. Plumes suggestion Maxxis Crossmark/Ignitor combo is excellent. I would even go as far to suggest Crossmark front and rear. Last time I did Kitsuma I had a Small Block 8 (rear) and Ignitor front on 29s. Having that nearly slick rear tire was awesome on the pavement and dirt.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    I would even go as far to suggest Crossmark front and rear.
    That's what I'm running. Normally have an Ardent on the front but there is way too much gravel and rd for a heavy front tire (not to mention a little climbing where a lighter tire is noticeable)

Last year's winner ran what appeared to be sb8s front/rear. I'd be a little worried about an cutting an sb8 on the rocks near the top of HB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I'm all drunk and stuff, but I just have to ask -

All ya'll folks who are constantly changing your tires, suspension settings, nutrition, gearing, clothes, hydration system, fork, wheel set, helmet, sunglasses, shoes, frame, chain lube, chamois lube, grips, entire bike, etc. for each event....

How do you ever get to the point where you have and understand "Your Bike" ?

"This is my bike. As much as I would like to think it is special, there are many like it. But this one is mine. Without my bike I am nothing. Without my bike, I am nothing."

Or something like that.

Sorry. I don't post much anymore, so I figure it's best if I make it inflammatory.

Have fun at ORAMM, and don't forget to bring plenty water.

Pisgah sucks.

zb
    thread is saved. thank you.
    My one says BRAP!

Category Winner
    I just run whatever BrouSSard says I should in our private meetings.

We discuss the topic on a weekly basis.

He has the brains,
    I have the brawn.

We make lots of money.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuHIRrt5lCI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuHIRrt5lCI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

consistent default champ
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw
    That's what I'm running. Normally have an Ardent on the front but there is way too much gravel and rd for a heavy front tire (not to mention a little climbing where a lighter tire is noticeable)

Last year's winner ran what appeared to be sb8s front/rear. I'd be a little worried about an cutting an sb8 on the rocks near the top of HB

I have a crossmark on the front and sm8 on the rear. I did cut my sm8 on rocks in Dupont last weekend. When your knob is half torn off, Stans doesn't cut it! hopefully the new one will get me through ORAMM. the sm8 seems to slide more in switchbacks now that it is so dry so HB should just be a hoot at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    crossmark in the rear for the long gravel, ignitor in the front for the few trail sections. or a mountain king. thats my vote and that's what works best for me.

If you're thinking this much about tires, you're doing it wrong. Think about fueling and hydration as these are much more important variables.
    Fueling and hydration is overated....

H8 H8 H8
    You should use your clout to get Continental to produce the Town and Country in 29 x 2.8"

That would totally slay at ORAMM.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    You should use your clout to get Continental to produce the Town and Country in 29 x 2.8"

That would totally slay at ORAMM.

I wasted my clout getting a giant chicken statue erected in my backyard. I'm outta clout till 2011.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

Members who have read this thread: 0