Oramm 2012 training plan help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Oramm 2012 training plan help

A couple friends and I want to do the ORAMM in 2012. We live in Charlotte and need some help designing a training plan to follow so we are ready. I am looking for something like Hal Higdon's marathon training plans except for an extreme mountain bike race. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Pretty Hate Machine
    Just ride your road bike on a trainer in a wet sauna for 5 hours at a time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Eddie- how are they supposed to train for the second half of the race?

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dingle View Post
    Just ride your road bike on a trainer in a wet sauna for 5 hours at a time.
    And if you don't have hydraulic brakes, have somebody beat on your hands, arms and upper body with a hammer or rolling pin while you're riding the trainer.

More seriously, ORAMM is often described as "a roadies mountain bike race". If you are familiar with road riding, find a good hilly century training plan, and translate it to time instead of miles... or actually.. kilometers instead of miles works perfectly since it's a roughly 62 mile race. Most of the uphill, thus time, on ORAMM is spent on paved/gravel roads and (technically) easy double track. The only exceptions to this are the switchbacks on Kitsuma (which you do twice) & Heartbreak Ridge, and then the hike-a-bike to get up to Heartbreak off of the Parkway. The best training for those is to ride/walk them, so if at all possible, come over from Charlotte once or twice in the spring and ride those sections.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think Carmicheal Training Systems has what you are looking for

drunken pirate
    Unfortunately, cyclists seem to prefer to sell their training plans instead of making them readily available to the public for free like Hal Higdon's marathon training plans. I guess it is all top secret stuff . There are plenty of plans you can buy and coaches you can hire or you can just draft your own training plan. I think you could rework a Hal Higdon plan to fit cycling and ORAMM with a little creativity...

Eddie Dingle's plan is actually quite good. The main factors with ORAMM are that it is primarily a road race and that it is historically quite hot. Prepare for those two things first. Ride your road bike instead of your mountain bike in Charlotte. Come up here and ride Kitsuma and Heartbreak once just so you know what the little bit of singletrack is like. If you are looking to win make sure you get out in front or you are going to be waiting in line to ride Kitsuma.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Since you are from Charlotte you should just hire this guy! Bad Idea Racing He has that race dialed. Flood him with cash and beer and he may let you in on his secrets to success!

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by THenne View Post
    Since you are from Charlotte you should just hire this guy! Bad Idea Racing He has that race dialed. Flood him with cash and beer and he may let you in on his secrets to success!
    And if you're running SS; your very first question should be "What gear should I run?"

mtbr member
    My training plan for ORAMM is usually to wait until it sells out and then complain that I didn't get in. That way I don't have to actually ride it. If I survive Big Frog and Pigah 100K I may have to try it this year. Although 100K in Pisgah has the potential to be harder than ORAMM, depending on how sadistic the course designers get.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Category Winner
    Being called out, yes... I can offer input.

I will not sell it. Unless I can make money doing so.

The Pisgah 100 will end up being the Pisgah 111, and it will be much, much harder. Not to detract from ORAMM, but the nature of the beast is evident when you look at the courses.

The advice I would give away for free?

Ride a lot.

And then some.

Figure out just how much water/food you need to make it through the race successfully.

Go hit Kitsuma and Heartbreak a few times.

Some call it a roadie race on MTB's. The race is most definitely won on the road sections (climbs), but a lot of time can be lost on the trail descents if you aren't comfortable/know how to handle yourself.

Specific questions? Message me but be prepared to pay (unless you don't want to).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    My training plan for ORAMM is usually to wait until it sells out and then complain that I didn't get in. That way I don't have to actually ride it. If I survive Big Frog and Pigah 100K I may have to try it this year. Although 100K in Pisgah has the potential to be harder than ORAMM, depending on how sadistic the course designers get.
    This is an ideal plan for me. I will have a back up plan of requesting the wrong day off work.