Opinion needed...I know you has one.- Mtbr.com
    It's not what you think.

Opinion needed...I know you has one.

Black Mtn. I always continue on Black down pass Thrift Cove to Grassy>Sycamore. How is Thrift in comparison? Would you rather ride Thrift to Sycamore? I do like the fast, open, water bar jumps down the lower part of Black but have never been on Thrift. What say ye?
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

pronounced may-duh
    Thrift is wide like a road. Fast with some loose gravel in spots. I have always preferred black but I have yet to see the new work. There was some maintenance work done under contract on black. I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I prefer Black to Thrift, even though they're both old road beds Black is steeper and more technical, Thrift is fast and there are a couple of places i've seen people eat it hard, too much speed...too much air, blind turns... Sycamore is a great trail really short but just a beautiful trail.

mtbr member
    in the summer I prefer Thrift (and Sycamore if I rode from The Hub parking lot) as there are fewer people and less chance to run over a hiker (most likely not expecting me). There's just too much traffic on Black during the peak tourist season.... Once the weather cools and it's just the locals I'll ride Black every time for reasons stated above. But that was before the unseen work on Black - who knows, maybe Thrift will be more technical now

Sycamore as a loop is really nice though, it's quite a trail to be the closest to a Walmart in Pisgah.
    many gears, some pies

It's not what you think.
    10-4. Figured that's why I never hear many talk about it.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

mtbr member
    I like Thrift better. Although it's double track, it's a screaming downhill, love the turns and little berms. I have eaten dirt there back in the days before I knew what the price of that could be. Husband prefers Black, so we alternate.

funny that ridn29 sees more hikers on Black. i would say the biggest downside to Thrift is that there are ALWAYS at least a couple of ladies strolling together w/ their dogs on Thrift.

Members who have read this thread: 0