Off-Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Off-Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell questions

I've also posted this on the Endurance Racing forum.

Planning to do this epic for the first time. I'm an Expert Class racer and wanted advice from those who've done this race on the following:

Gearing: Currently race and train on a 2x9 (34t cassette, standard 44-32 up front). Should I add the granny for Mt. Mitchell?

Tires: Currently running regular tires tubeless with Stan's. Weighing 140 pounds, I rarely have an issue in training and never in a race. However, is it worth the weight penalty to run UST for added insurance over these 63 miles?

Thanks in advance.

--Dean

banned
    140 lbs!!! You got nothing to worry about!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    People do it single speed so I don't think a granny is necessary.

mtbr member
    First time I did ORAMM my gear choice was a 34/21 Sure it hurt in sections but the stuff folks were granny gearing I was walking doing the same pace. Yeah if only I was 140lbs. Strap 70 lbs to your back and we will be even;-) It is a great race so just be prepared to have a blast.

mtbr member
    My left leg weighs 140 pounds.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Yob
    Planning to do this epic for the first time. I'm an Expert Class racer and wanted advice from those who've done this race on the following:
    --Dean
    ORAMM is a very difficult race and can be a killer if you plan to truly race. However, every year hundreds of average riders do it as a ride with no problem. Your lowest gear 32x34 is well below most ss'ers' gearing choice.

Sounds like you are racing so I'd advise you to stay light and fast. You'll be fine!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member

Go granny

D-Yob, just another perspective on the advice of no granny needed. I've done the race the past few years. I'm around 170 lbs and have done it sub 6 hrs but I was in the granny up the Kitsuma switchbacks (both in the beginning and in the end) and hung with the people around me. Maybe at your weight you are OK without the granny but Kitsuma the second time around will be the test.

I ran UST last year with Stans and liked the security of that setup. I did not feel I had to hold back on the downhills out of concern for my ties (my life, yes but tires, no). With Stans in UST I feel comfortable only carrying one spare tube and I'm pretty sure I won't even need that.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    ORAMM is a very difficult race and can be a killer if you plan to truly race. However, every year hundreds of average riders do it as a ride with no problem. Your lowest gear 32x34 is well below most ss'ers' gearing choice.

Sounds like you are racing so I'd advise you to stay light and fast. You'll be fine!
    Lots of other riders do it each year with a lot of problems also. If you call extreme pain,agony,puking,crashing, DNFing "problems" that is.

mtbr member
    What do you really gain by not running a tiny, aluminum granny gear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    What do you really gain by not running a tiny, aluminum granny gear?
    Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I guess I'm no closer to a decision, but I'll take everyone's recommendations to heart and decide what's best for me.

The reason I run a 2x9 is I never needed a granny (until now maybe). A couple years ago, I did a Georgia State Series 40-plus Expert race at Carter's Lake. I had never ridden there until the Saturday pre-ride. Afterward, I was nervous I was going to need a granny there because some of the climbs were technical and steep. I'm from South Florida, so elevation is a factor I rarely have to consider.

Anyway, I came away with that race with a fourth-place finish and never even thought about the granny. It was then I was pretty sure I was never going to need one.

And before anyone thinks I'm that lean, I'm 5-foot-4 with muscle, so I don't look like a prototype cross-country racer. I really need to drop at least 5 pounds to get into top climbing shape. I have the time but do I have the will?

Dean

mtbr member
    Well your situation changes a little now. You might want all the gears you can possibly get if you are from S. Florida. ;-) 11000' of vertical in 63 miles hurts if you are not used to it, gears or not. On the other hand with your experience being an expert racer you will be able to crank that 32/34 gearing up anything Pisgah throws at you. Seriously you should be fine.

mtbr member
    The more common 2X9 set-up in these parts is middle/granny. A lot of people I ride with use this set-up.
    I know nobody who uses big/middle.
    Take that for what it is worth.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    The more common 2X9 set-up in these parts is middle/granny. A lot of people I ride with use this set-up.
    I know nobody who uses big/middle.
    Take that for what it is worth.
    That's what I ride 22/32. But I ain't that fast and way over 50 lbs more then you.

Members who have read this thread: 0