Off-Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell- Mtbr.com
    Heads up Flyboy!!

Off-Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell

The off road cycling adventure of the year is back for its 5th year to kick your booty with 13,000 ft of accumulated climbing over 55 miles of rugged Pisgah National Forest. Here's your chance to tackle Kitsuma, Heartbreak Ridge, Forest Roads, and a wee bit of pavement in one of the most remote areas your allowed to ride. Highlands Ale and Urban Burritos at the post race party! Over $4000 dollars in cash and prizes! July 25th, 2004

http://www.wncmountaingoatepics.com/...t_mitchell.htm

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

I'm Intrigued...more info?

Sounds like a good time. I am trying to decide whether to ride the singlespeed class, or to reassemble my duallie and go with gears. Do you have a course map/directions? I'd like to do some scouting to see whats realistic.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    Sounds like a good time. I am trying to decide whether to ride the singlespeed class, or to reassemble my duallie and go with gears. Do you have a course map/directions? I'd like to do some scouting to see whats realistic.
    That's a tough race. 13,000+ft of vertical climbing is probably going to be challenge enough for most people even with granny. Head over to Old Fort and ride up Kitzuma. If that works out okay and you feel fresh enough to do another 50 miles, you might survive on the SS.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Ride the Long HeartBreak Ridge route on my website. If you feel like you still have 20 miles in you then you got it. You'll suffer on whatever you ride for this race. Its gruelling but alot of fun.

Jan 2004

Route?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Ride the Long HeartBreak Ridge route on my website. If you feel like you still have 20 miles in you then you got it. You'll suffer on whatever you ride for this race. Its gruelling but alot of fun.
    I did a good bit of that ride this past weekend, backwards (long story). It was pretty
    entertaining trying to follow your directions in reverse, especially in the Star Gap area,
    given with the hinky maps of the area. I was regretting my decision to go solo on that
    one. I thought I was going to get lost and have to shoot my bike and eat it to keep from
    starving. The driving rain eased my fears of dehydration, though. I also found out why
    you don't cut off most of Jarret Creek road with that bit of singletrack going from Star
    Gap to Newberry Creek road - the fellow who's backyard I popped out into looked a
    little surprised to see me, but his dogs made me feel welcome by chasing me most of
    way out to the old mill. It was a cool ride.

Anywho.

Can you post up the exact route for the Assault, or is a super-secret thing prior to race
    day?

S.T. Pig.... Don't be silly - the Titus just has more stuff to break. And now that you've
    got those motorcycle tires you are invincible.

ZB

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Brew,

Get in touch with me and we may have to go out and preride some of it.

jeremyatwncmountaingoatepics.com

but i'm old and soft

I knew as soon as I clicked post that you'd be there to call me on my sissiness. I just haven't been riding enough to feel confident in my ability to survive the course on the SS. I can always walk though, and there's always Percodan. Maybe we'll come across some jimsonweed too.

Jason, the guy we did Woods Mountain with says he's in too.

Jan 2004

Let's ride there next weekend.....

I knew as soon as I clicked post that you'd be there to call me on my sissiness. I just haven't been riding enough to feel confident in my ability to survive the course on the SS. I can always walk though, and there's always Percodan. Maybe we'll come across some jimsonweed too.

Jason, the guy we did Woods Mountain with says he's in too.
    Yes, yes.... your broad, softy, pasty fat *ss. This is still some sort of back-handed,
    self-deprecating gloating over whipping my butt at the Icycle, isn't it?

It'll be fun. FS road climbs are good for singing, singletrack climbs are good for pushing,
    and if we can't find some jimsonweed, maybe we'll run across some green potatos.

Anyway, maybe we can get together with this Jeremy fellow and check it out some more
    next weekend. And if it makes you feel any better, I think I'm going to break down and
    buy a 19T myself.

ZB

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brewSSard
    Yes, yes.... your broad, softy, pasty fat *ss. This is still some sort of back-handed,
    self-deprecating gloating over whipping my butt at the Icycle, isn't it?

It'll be fun. FS road climbs are good for singing, singletrack climbs are good for pushing,
    and if we can't find some jimsonweed, maybe we'll run across some green potatos.

Anyway, maybe we can get together with this Jeremy fellow and check it out some more
    next weekend. And if it makes you feel any better, I think I'm going to break down and
    buy a 19T myself.

ZB
    Brew, Pig,

This Jeremy fellow is in. Do you want the climb up Kitsuma backwards and Lower Heartbreak'r too? Its gonna be sweeeet!

Which weekend?

We talkin bout this weekend, or next weekend? I am free this Sunday if its early in the day, but Saturday's out. Kitsuma backwards? Ouch. Worth a shot though, is that the way the race does it?

Heads up Flyboy!!
    We talkin bout this weekend, or next weekend? I am free this Sunday if its early in the day, but Saturday's out. Kitsuma backwards? Ouch. Worth a shot though, is that the way the race does it?
    How about the weekend of the 26-27th. Either day should be good for me. I'm going to Tanasi/Chilowhee this weekend for a camping/riding escape. The route I'm thinking of taking the both of you are up for it will take most of the day so, " earley in the day this Sunday " would not work. Yea, the race starts in down town Old Fort and the first climb starts up Kitsuma Backwards.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

need a "fourth?"

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    How about the weekend of the 26-27th. Either day should be good for me. I'm going to Tanasi/Chilowhee this weekend for a camping/riding escape. The route I'm thinking of taking the both of you are up for it will take most of the day so, " earley in the day this Sunday " would not work. Yea, the race starts in down town Old Fort and the first climb starts up Kitsuma Backwards.
    I am new to the board, and just found this link. I live in Asheville and ride SS like a religion (for the last 3 years). Just built up a new SS with discs and a 33t x 18t drivetrain. I would love to join you guys this weekend if possible- meeting new riding buds is what it's all about for me. Epic rides can only get better when shared. Plus, I am willing to buy the first round of brews afterwards!
    Let me know. Thanks.
    Adam
    Spinning and Grinning...

Jan 2004

Mmmmmmm. Beer.

So far, the word is 9am at Old Fort picnic area.... but I'm up for 8am if ya'll are.

We've been scheming off the board via e-mail - drop a note:

zbss"at"bellsouth"dot"net

ZB

Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    I am new to the board, and just found this link. I live in Asheville and ride SS like a religion (for the last 3 years). Just built up a new SS with discs and a 33t x 18t drivetrain. I would love to join you guys this weekend if possible- meeting new riding buds is what it's all about for me. Epic rides can only get better when shared. Plus, I am willing to buy the first round of brews afterwards!
    Let me know. Thanks.
    Adam

Email me

I am out for this weekend- the wife and I are doing Tsali with some friends, but am pretty new to Asheville too and need a SS buddy. singletrackusa at yahoo dot com

Heads up Flyboy!!
    If your registration is not post marked by today July 20th there is a $10 late fee. Also last I talked with the organizer( last Thursday night while riding Heartbreak) there were 87 people registered. Sign up soon if you want a t-shirt because they are only available to the 1st 100.

Heads up Flyboy!!

Results Posted!!

The Results from the Off-Road Assault on Mount Mitchell are now posted on www.wncmountaingoatepics.com , just click on the results posted link. Congratulations to Brewssard for coming in 22nd place out of 85 racers in Open Men on a singlespeed!! With a time of 6 hrs and 44 minutes! Your the man. I thought I had it under 7 hours until I hit the 9 mile long Curtis Creek climb and blew up. I came in with a more modest 38th place out of 85 in open men with a time of 7 hrs and 40 minutes.