Noob to MTBR (Sylva, NC area)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Noob to MTBR (Sylva, NC area)

First post to a really neat message board so a quick intro.

57 years old and retired. I live south of Atlanta but have a house near Sylva. I have an old Trek mountain bike I found on Craigslist a few years ago. I really love the sport and decided to go all in and purchase a new bike. I have a Gravity Fatbike on order.

Now here is where it gets weird

I also love trout fishing...especially in GSMNP. So I've been riding up the Deep Creek trail as far as allowed. I also have a few other rides I do in the Park near trout streams.

But what I really enjoy....is riding in the snow...hence the fatbike. I like to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway when it's closed due to snow. I also love riding up the Clingmans Dome Road once it's closed for the season and covered with snow. I know these aren't technically trails...but can be fun in 3 or 4 inches of snow. I also enjoy the less-traveled Forest Service roads. Sorry to get long-winded but if anyone wants to ride this winter near Sylva, Bryson City, or Cherokee....holla back.

Rogue Exterminator
    Don't say that S word.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Neat! I wanted a Gravity Bullseye Monster fattie too. Maybe later. Just purchased a new Rocky Mountain yesterday. Good luck on the fattie. Thanks for the idea though, I'll try and ride BRP when it's closed.

western NC
    ^^LMAO at Kirk!

Welcome to MTBR! I'm over in Franklin, and I've had my Gravity fatty for a couple weeks now. Best thing you can do is upgrade the tires / tubes right off the bat, I shaved 3lbs off mine from that alone. Very happy with mine. Maybe we can get together for a fat bike ride sometime before I get trapped for tax season.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    ^^LMAO at Kirk!

Welcome to MTBR! I'm over in Franklin, and I've had my Gravity fatty for a couple weeks now. Best thing you can do is upgrade the tires / tubes right off the bat, I shaved 3lbs off mine from that alone. Very happy with mine. Maybe we can get together for a fat bike ride sometime before I get trapped for tax season.
    Thanks for the tips! Definitely let's get together and ride! I'll be in touch.

mtbr member
    You've probably already done it, but check out the trails at WCU. Challenging, but fantastically fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    You've probably already done it, but check out the trails at WCU. Challenging, but fantastically fun.
    ++1 on this. The WCU trails are a lot of fun to ride. I try to get by there ever couple of months for a ride.

mtbr member

Thanks! I haven't ridden them yet but found an article on it last night. I'm about 6 miles from the campus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    the mountains to see from richland balsam down towards sylva is pretty effing rad, and the bartram trail east out of franklin is the **** as well. cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Weight_of_Sound View Post
    the mountains to see from richland balsam down towards sylva is pretty effing rad, and the bartram trail east out of franklin is the **** as well. cheers.
    To my knowledge Bartram Trail is a hiking only trail. Pretty well posted with carsonite signs no biking, no horse backs. If you have sure, different info that would be good to know. Mountains to the Sea is also hiking only as far as I know.

Slightly askew
    Sent you a PM
    Zero charisma