Non-MTB activities in Ashville- Mtbr.com
    Not Smart Enough to Quit

Non-MTB activities in Ashville

So I'm taking the family to Asheville for a long weekend of "Quality Time", which basically means that I don't get to bring my bike. They want to go see the Biltmore house on one day, but we are lacking for something else to do. We need to fill at least one whole day.

Thoughts & ideas?
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

French Broad River

Rafting, section 9, or fishing on it is usually good.

mtbr member
    Ummm, just go to the woods on foot. It's slower but still quite fun. There is also the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt. Mitchell, Pink Beds, Craggy Gardens, etc...
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Divorce comes to mind.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    Divorce comes to mind.
    I really wasn't planning on spending that much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I was kidding of course. Glad you took it that way.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Suggestions depend on The Family Unit. Traditional or eclectic? Everyone staying together? What are the kids ages/interests? Asheville can entertain, amaze or even scare some people.

Top 'o the head stuff:

Get a free Mountain Xpress at just about any location - or look on line.

New Morning Gallery and/or The Screen Door - tons of other shops and artsy galleries in Biltmore Village. La Paz has decent chow.

Wander around downtown, hit the drum circle and see how many brew pubs you can find.

Lake Powhatan has a "beach", fishing pier and trails - next to the Arboretum. Pappa's & Beer, Apollo Flame or standard fast food nearby.

Carrier Park, on Amboy Road (close to Biltmore and next to river) has all manner of outdoor playtime activities, paved trails (great for strollers) and an adjacent park with art.

Me? I'm thinking about a post ride trip to the Wedge Brewery, watching MP's The Holy Grail on the side of a beer truck in a gravel parking lot while freight trains pass by and eating a pizza & popcorn with an Imperial Stout. I like to multi-task.

Have a fun weekend!
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

banned

Getouttahere

A family that mt-bikes together stays together..... and thinking of non-mtb activities is just wrong

pronounced may-duh
    How young are the kids? There is an interactive science museum downtown called the Health Adventure.

There is an arcade type place with mini golf, go karts, climbing wall, soft play, etc... Right off the I-26 called Fun Depot.

For me and many young kids the Biltmore is a snooze fest.

Wait! If your not bringing the bike, why are you coming to Asheville? Go to the beach, Go to Disney.

mtbr member
    There is always the high quality river tubing at the entrance of the forest.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    How young are the kids? There is an interactive science museum downtown called the Health Adventure.

There is an arcade type place with mini golf, go karts, climbing wall, soft play, etc... Right off the I-26 called Fun Depot.

For me and many young kids the Biltmore is a snooze fest.

Wait! If your not bringing the bike, why are you coming to Asheville? Go to the beach, Go to Disney.
    We're really just looking for a quick getaway that we haven't done before. We'll hit the beach later in the year. Daughter is 16 & she'll bring a friend.

pronounced may-duh
    16 wow. Forget everything I suggested. My oldest is 10 so I'm having a hard time relating.

lets see what would I want to do if I was 16 in Asheville?

Just drop her downtown, give her a credit card and a key to the hotel room and tell her to not get arrested

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good ideas all around so far.

Flying Frog restaruant downtown. I hope you are staying at a Bed and Breakfast, they usually have endless lemonade or coffee, or BYOB and sit on the porch and let the time pass. Plenty of live music during the evenings.

Do yourself a favor and skip the wine tasting at the Biltmore, unless you like sweet, syrupy wines.

There's always a 'festival' happening somewhere near by this time of year.

Have fun, it's a great laid back place.

mtbr member
    M-U-M's on the right tracks for you.

just check out mountainx.com for some great ideas of what's happening locally.

When I was 16, I would have been really into Lexington Avenue. It's a got a very punk, anti-establishment feel while still being (relatively) safe. Your kids a daughter- there's a really great shoe store on it called Tops for Shoes.

I'd also check out http://www.paddlewithus.com/. Great quietwater scenic canoe trips. These are good enough that my wife and I probably going to do one this weekend even through we live about 6 blocks from the place...

If you like los cervezas, we evidently are a city of serious drinkers. More microbreweries than you can shake a stick at. For a place to hold a teen's interest with a very very wide selection of beers, I recommend Mellow Mushroom Downtown. The Asheville Pizza Company, either location, is also very teen friendly but (I'll say it) I think their house beer is the bottom of our local barrell, and not in a good way.

Mike

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    If my parents took me to the Biltmore at 16 I would have stolen a pen from the guard and gouged my eyes out in protest, but that's just me!

Of course now we have season passes

Be sure to check out the whole place as there's MUCH more than the house, including free booze at the winery! Get there early and get ready for a $7 hot dog for lunch.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    For a place to hold a teen's interest with a very very wide selection of beers, I recommend Mellow Mushroom Downtown.
    Yes, your daughter can check out the latest in tats and piercings at the mellowshroom. That's not a negative comment BTW - I take my son (9) there whenever we have boys night in Asheville. The staff is great, although you can get lost/forgotten occasionally. You know, short term memory is the first thing to go We always have a hoot there.
    many gears, some pies

Official Cooler Inspector
    "If my parents took me to the Biltmore at 16 I would have stolen a pen from the guard and gouged my eyes out in protest"

Doesn't compete with "human skulls", but can relate. I have friends who work there that feel the same way... eight + hours a day - mostly weekends.

They offer Segway (?) tours now! Seen them while slow-floatin' in the river. Funny memory: A Seg-rider passing a cyclist.

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Its got what plants crave
    Glad to see this thread. I'm going to be up in the area August 8-15 and although I'm bringing my bike to sneak away for a couple of rides, I will not get to do as much riding as I would have liked. We are talking about an overnighter backpacking trip. Since my crew consists of a bunch of wimps I'm wondering what our route for that might be. Another thing I was thinking about doing was going over to Fontana and maybe renting a canoe or kayak at NOC to paddle the Fontana lake.

mtbr member
    If you go to the Biltmore with a bad attitude, expecting to be bored...then you're going to be pleasantly surprised and have a good time (that's the way my husband handled it). The scale of the house is truly eye-popping. The only eye-GOUGING part is if you get there when it's crowded and have to stand in line to peek at some furniture. I would advise going when it opens on whatever day they tell you will be less crowded. Enjoy the house, particulary the grounds and the outside views of the house, blow off the boring winery and crappy wine, and be finished in time for a late lunch OUTSIDE the gates of biltmore.

If I were you, (because I am a nerd) I would look up some of the famous paintings and objects, and let my kids read about them online before they go...so they can say "hey, look, there's Napolean's chess set" or whatever.

for your other day, I'd definitely go hiking on some of those damn trails near the parkway that are illegal to bikes. Try to cause some erosion and scare an equestrian while you're there ;-) It's pretty fun just to drive either way (or both) on the parkway and stop at the overlooks. If it's a Saturday, you could go the extremely cool farmer's market in the morning and buy some goodies to pic nic on.

And...I agree w/ the Lexington Ave shopping and Tops. If your wife doesn't mind dropping some coin on clothes, there's a great boutique in Biltmore Village called Constance. Eat at Zambra one night. have fun!

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    If you go to the Biltmore with a bad attitude, expecting to be bored...then you're going to be pleasantly surprised and have a good time (that's the way my husband handled it). The scale of the house is truly eye-popping. The only eye-GOUGING part is if you get there when it's crowded and have to stand in line to peek at some furniture. I would advise going when it opens on whatever day they tell you will be less crowded. Enjoy the house, particulary the grounds and the outside views of the house, blow off the boring winery and crappy wine, and be finished in time for a late lunch OUTSIDE the gates of biltmore.

If I were you, (because I am a nerd) I would look up some of the famous paintings and objects, and let my kids read about them online before they go...so they can say "hey, look, there's Napolean's chess set" or whatever.

for your other day, I'd definitely go hiking on some of those damn trails near the parkway that are illegal to bikes. Try to cause some erosion and scare an equestrian while you're there ;-) It's pretty fun just to drive either way (or both) on the parkway and stop at the overlooks. If it's a Saturday, you could go the extremely cool farmer's market in the morning and buy some goodies to pic nic on.

And...I agree w/ the Lexington Ave shopping and Tops. If your wife doesn't mind dropping some coin on clothes, there's a great boutique in Biltmore Village called Constance. Eat at Zambra one night. have fun!
    Thanks for the ideas all! LSC, how do you think the crowds at Biltmore will be on a Friday compared to a Saturday?

mtbr member
    My guess would be that Fri. is better...I think that's when we went. BUT, if I were you i'd call and ask. We went in the spring, so I fear w/ kids out of school, you may be fighting bigger crowds. then again, more people are poor this year, so maybe not.

Quick Story: My great grandmother lived in the area when they were building the house and wanted to get a job as a maid there just so she could get a tour! (my great great grandfather wouldn't let her).

Members who have read this thread: 0