NOC Chatooga River + Camping + Trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NOC Chatooga River + Camping + Trails?

My son and a couple of his buddies are heading to the Nantahala Outdoor Center Chatooga River Outpost in a couple weeks to do some rafting. I am looking for a camping spot and for some good trails for the time spent off the river. It is near Mountain Rest, SC.

Thanks,

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Not much legal single in the Long Creek/Mtn Rest area. I don't think there is any.

Jack Rabbitt isn't far away. Clemson isn't far, the other direction. Tsali isn't too terribly far. Pisgah is about an hour or so away. Blue Ridge, GA not far away.

Humble Pie in Long Creek has a good pizza.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Long Answer

Seenvic is correct. There are beaucoup trails, but no legal singletrack in the Chatooga corridor. Chatooga Trail, Willis Knob Horse trails, Rocky Gap Horse Trails, Bartram Trail all give good hiking and access to the river. You can ride the fire rds to their respective trail heads, hide the bikes and hike. They all are tempting, but please don't poach.

NOC is, I believe, actually in Long Creek. SC. There are several commercial campgrounds around Long Creek. USFS Whetstone SC Horse Camp is 5-10 min from NOC. It's primitive with water and pit toilets, about 20 sites, some reserved, some first come (google will find it and others). Not sure if the horse camp is open to non-horseys.

From Long Creek / Mnt Rest area:
    Tsali & Jack Rabbit about 2 hrs ( not near each other), Dupont about 1.5 + hrs, other Pisgah 2 + hrs. Closest singletrack is a toss-up, Issaqueena / Clemson or Stonewall Loop in Tiger Ga both about 30 - 40 min. Issaqueena known to most 50+ miles. Stonewall unknown to many (google will find it) about 11 miles, fun but not too challenging, 3 or 4 water crossings, nice forest and some views.

If you're good with a topo, compass, and/or gps there are two other good exploring options known to locals for years. (Topos: Satolah Ga, Rabun Bald Ga, Rainy Mnt Ga, Whetstone SC.) One is described in Jim Parham's book "Off the Beaten track North Ga" as Sandy Ford Loop. It's 8 miles; about 2 miles singletrack, the rest gravel rd and jeep trail. It's on Ga side of the river, so from Whetstone Horse camp you would ride fire rd to Sandy Ford put in, shoulder the bike down the access trail and wade the river, then pick up his directions mid loop (pm me for a gpx of the loop). Singletrack on this loop was getting pretty over grown last time I rode about 4 yrs ago.

The other is 15 - 20 miles jeep trail, pavel, and single track using part of the above loop. From Whetstone Horse camp ride to Earls Ford put in, shoulder the bike down the access trail, ford the river, ride Earls Ford rd to paved War Woman rd, left to Sandy Ford rd left to Sandy Ford Loop, right to Sandy Ford, ford river, shoulder bike, ride back to Whetstone Horse Camp.

Shane

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The start of the Trans North GA route is near there: http://www.firstworks.com/tnga/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    Not much legal single in the Long Creek/Mtn Rest area. I don't think there is any.
    There is one trail legal and open to bikes, it is part of the Palmetto Trail project. Starts in Oconee State Park and crosses USFS lands before ending in Oconee State Historic Area. Trail Dynamics built this many years ago (like 7-8 years ago) and project funding came from Palmetto Conservation Foundation. The trail is about 4 miles long and drops a lot of elevation, so would be a major push coming back up. I rode it once after we built it, and would not likely return. The state park up top would have great land for building a good mtb loop, but the state is not likely to do such without a push (and support) from the mtb community to do so.

Woody

Members who have read this thread: 0