Newish Rider in Nw NC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Newish Rider in Nw NC

Back on a bike at age 32. I live near Mt Airy now, grew up just north of W-S. Bought a bike off a coworker who was moving and been on it ever since. Up to about 180 miles since the first of April. Trails around me get little traffic, which is good and bad (briars and poison oak). My office is near Advance so I hit up Tanglewood a lot during lunch. Iíve done most of Lake Norman and I really enjoy it. Rode the Kernersville MTB Park twice yesterday and itís short but real fun. Iím dying to get to Mooreís Springs and Wilkesboro, hopefully one of those two is crossed off the list today. I travel WNC for work so I just haul the bike everywhere.

Anyways, anybody else in the area looking to ride sometime hit me up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You are gonna love Wilkesboro, if you enjoyed Lake Norman. Great trails, friendly folks.
    I would start on the OVT and all the offshoots.
    Friends of DuPont supporter

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I did all of dark Mtn including the connector down to the dam. Took that steep road up back to the visitors center then did the OVT to Shiners Run and then back. It was around 16 miles and fun as hell. Gonna come back and do the rest incrementally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Warrior Creek is one of the funnest trails in NC. Avoid the Headwaters trail off of WC, we were there last week and it was a hot mess and unrideable (not maintained).

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Do you have to do all 13 miles of WC once you start on it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No. It's in campground with a road network. Several places to bail out, but you won't want or need to. Only two steep sections and they are right together. BTW, it's directional. My favorite trail in the system is Shiners...in either direction. Genius trail layout !
    Friends of DuPont supporter

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Shiners was fun but I didnít even realize I had detoured onto it until it was almost done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Stopped by Warrior Creek on my way back from Granite Falls yesterday. From the guardhouse parking lot I went up to the pump track, screwed around for a couple laps, then back down and around WC until it opens up into the field, then I was running out of time so I hoofed up that big hill and cruised thru the campground back down to parking lot. It was ~7.5 miles. I will definitely go back to finish WC, itís fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
    Stopped by Warrior Creek on my way back from Granite Falls yesterday. From the guardhouse parking lot I went up to the pump track, screwed around for a couple laps, then back down and around WC until it opens up into the field, then I was running out of time so I hoofed up that big hill and cruised thru the campground back down to parking lot. It was ~7.5 miles. I will definitely go back to finish WC, itís fun.
    Berms galore

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by flyninjasquirrel View Post
    Warrior Creek is one of the funnest trails in NC. Avoid the Headwaters trail off of WC, we were there last week and it was a hot mess and unrideable (not maintained).
    Thanks, for the Headwaters mention - I was curious about the status of this trail. I hit this on my rigid almost 2yrs ago (after some rework was completed), and loved it. Bummer, it's not being ridden/maintained.
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127