NEW Trails GA/SC line Hartwell Lake Paynes Creek- Mtbr.com
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem

NEW Trails GA/SC line Hartwell Lake Paynes Creek

NEW Trails GA/SC line Hartwell Lake Paynes Creek

Come join us for a day of trail finishing work at Hartwell Lake's Paynes Creek area in Georgia . This is the best part of trail building and we plan to have a great time getting the trail ready for the grand opening. The IMBA trail building group w/ Todd Branham went in and cut the basic loop and now it's time to dial it in. This is first of a series of trails that are being built at Paynes Creek State Park at Lake Hartwell. This trail is roughly 8.5 miles. Jud Turpin is taking the lead on this trail as he is a lives in the area. Jud can be reached at 706-436-3743 or [email protected] The Ranger are looking to have the trail open on May 1st when the park opens for camping.

There are two changes to help on this great project, March 20 or April 23.

Saturday, March 19th and April 23rd

8:30 – 9:00 Welcome & Sign-In

9:00 – 3:00 Trail Work Party @ Paynes Creek Trailhead

12:00 – 1:00 Lunch

3:00p Volunteer Raffle

Friday, April 29

TDB Grand Opening

7:00p – 9:00p How to Build a SORBA Chapter @ TBD

__________________________________________________ __________
    The Paynes Creek Trail project began in 2005 with discussions between SORBA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE) for a mountain bike trail to be located at the Paynes Creek Recreation Area on Lake Hartwell. The project was to be a ‘hybrid’ construction, with SORBA volunteers contributing expertise to the design, layout and final finishing work, and the majority of the trail building contracted to a qualified builder. Unfortunately, hurricane Katrina sapped the funding resources originally identified for the trail building. While the layout was completed in 2006, it took until 2010 to finally identify sufficient resources to fund the construction. The majority of the trial is scheduled to be completed for the grand-opening on April 29, 2011.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    No experience is necessary to volunteer at our trail work day. Please plan to bring, gloves, water, and always remember to dress appropriately for weather conditions. All attendees will be responsible for breakfast and lunch on Saturday.

Directions from I-85 Exit 177 (Georgia side of Hartwell Lake):

1. Head south on GA-77 S/State Route 366/Whitworth Rd toward Knox Bridge Crossing Rd/State Route 59 and continue to follow GA-77 S/State Route 366 for 5.2 miles.

2. Turn left at Junction 77 and go 2.2 miles.

3. Turn left at Co Rd 503/Mt Olivet Rd Continue to follow Mt Olivet Rd for 4.0 miles.

4. Turn left at Paynes Creek Road and go 0.8 miles.

5. Turn right at road to trailhead parking lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I will be there for the 4/23 session.

This is basically just like FATS, except a bit shorter with hills that are prolly better and the trees are more hardwood than pine. And there is a nice lake to ride along.

Will be a great ride about 10-15 minutes south of I85.

Hartwell, GA has no idea they are about to get a bikeshop and some of the residents will become riders who have never given it a moments thought before. That is my prediction if the locals get into like the ones around FATS have.

Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    I will be there for the 4/23 session.

This is basically just like FATS, except a bit shorter with hills that are prolly better and the trees are more hardwood than pine. And there is a nice lake to ride along.

Will be a great ride about 10-15 minutes south of I85.

Hartwell, GA has no idea they are about to get a bikeshop and some of the residents will become riders who have never given it a moments thought before. That is my prediction if the locals get into like the ones around FATS have.

yeah i already committed to do a trail day in Sparkleburg tomorrow,

see you out there the 24th

Big Mac
    Cool.

bump (chaching)

mtbr member
    Excellent trail-building experience on an excellent trail guys, thanks. I'd love to ride it again in a year after it's had some traffic on it. It's going to be FAST!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Paynes Creek - Ride

Great weather this weekend, mild temps, low humidity... Last weekend was the volunteer trail day on a seven mile stretch of new trail on the Georgia side of Lake Hartwell. The Paynes Creek Trail project began in 2005 with discussions between SORBA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE) for a mountain bike trail to be located at the Paynes Creek Recreation Area on Lake Hartwell. The project was to be a ‘hybrid’ construction, with SORBA volunteers contributing expertise to the design, layout and final finishing work, and the majority of the trail building contracted to a qualified builder. Unfortunately, hurricane Katrina sapped the funding resources originally identified for the trail building. While the layout was completed in 2006, it took until 2010 to finally identify sufficient resources to fund the construction. The majority of the trial is scheduled to be completed for the grand-opening on Friday April 29, 2011 which of course we missed... so we decided let's go hit it the day after the Grand Opening. Todd Branham had done all of the machine cutting and the rest was done through volunteer work.

If you've ridden FATS (Fork Area Trail System) near Augusta, you will love Paynes Creek, it's a 7 mile loop a twisty rolling mix of singletrack that hugs the hillside with about 75% of the trail in view of Lake Hartwell. It's FATS with a sweet lake view, and a little more climbing than is at FATS. Parts of it remind you of Tsali, other sections remind you of Fant's Grove & Issaqueena... Lots and Lots of FLOW... Do yourself a favor and make a trip ride it both ways...

the Ranger's have the trail set up Clockwise one day - Counter Clockwise the next day... I don't know if that'll last. When we were the only ones there, we knew there wouldn't be a conflict riding it both ways. Clockwise is faster and with a little more fun to it,

Following Chip & Jackie

through the rolling hillsides of Canola

welcome to

the map..

we had the place to ourselves

the Kid

the Bad Influence

The Hammer

the Trail

the Views

the Danger

the Flow

the Hardwoods

The Awesomeness

the Green

the Shredder

Biggie

more Awesomeness

the Main loop is 7 miles, the overlook spur was maybe 3/4 mile. After our ride talking with the Ranger Brian he mentioned they have another 2 or 3 more miles they're ready to cut... And their boss was super pleased and wants to get the next section in work as soon as possible.

Cheers to great new place to ride...

Do yourself a favor and hit this place! You'll dig it for sure.

Directions from I-85 Exit 177 (Georgia side of Hartwell Lake):

1. Head south on GA-77 S/State Route 366/Whitworth Rd toward Knox Bridge Crossing Rd/State Route 59 and continue to follow GA-77 S/State Route 366 for 5.2 miles.

2. Turn left at Junction 77 and go 2.2 miles.

3. Turn left at Co Rd 503/Mt Olivet Rd Continue to follow Mt Olivet Rd for 4.0 miles.

4. Turn left at Paynes Creek Road and go 0.8 miles.

5. Turn right at road to trailhead parking lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW Trails GA/SC line Hartwell Lake Paynes Creek-paynes-creektrails.gif  

mtbr member
    Did Chip crash by chance? He seems to be good at doing it. It looks like alot of fun, even if you ride with Chip and all his talking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We stopped in and rode it Sunday coming back from Athens and it was awesome. Lots of flow and I agree with the feel of Tsali. Thanks to everyone who volunteered and to Todd for adding some new fun trails to ride!

Team Martin
    The place looks awesome... we'll have to check it out this summer! Thanks to all involved in creating more singletrack for all us fat tire freaks

Go make a difference
    Brad,
    Thanks for posting thorough information. Looking forward to riding PC on Sunday with my newbie rider fiance! I think she'll enjoy this trail!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Bro Mountainbiker
    What kinda gearing do singlespeeders run out there?

It looks like a 32x17 or 32x18 on a 29er would be best. Thats 52.5-55 gear inches.

What do you think?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just moved to south Carolina and work in Augusta I'm going to have to check this place and FATS out!
    It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    What kinda gearing do singlespeeders run out there?

It looks like a 32x17 or 32x18 on a 29er would be best. Thats 52.5-55 gear inches.

What do you think?
    I posed this same question, I guess you are lurking for gearing data for GSSC? I need to know. It looks flat, which means 32x18 for me. Are there any long climbs?
    -rides bikes for fun.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    I posed this same question, I guess you are lurking for gearing data for GSSC? I need to know. It looks flat, which means 32x18 for me. Are there any long climbs?
    I have looked at an elevation profile for the course and it doesnt look hilly at all. Supposedly, I hear its less hilly than Blankets Creek in Woodstock. I run 32x18 out there but I will probably run 32x17 for this race.

Figure it will probably be short too at around 20-25 miles.. But not too sure on that last part.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Members who have read this thread: 0