new trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: new trails

mtbr member

new trails

Looking for new trails with a much higher frequency of fast riders making appearances. Rkp is losing its allure. It seems really noone has a timer or films runs there. I know there's beech mtn....but I can't afford to go there as often as I like.

mtbr member
    Aren't you the guy looking for new, fast friends to ride with?
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    What are you looking to do? If you get out there in late afternoon on weekdays you have a higher chance of meeting more locals. A lot of us spend time in Pisgah on the weekends.

Also, how are you timing yourself? There are some nice moto timers that you can find for cheap that fit on your handlebars and all you need to do is tap it with your thumb to start/stop it. I would be happy to come out and work with you for a day if you want.

mtbr member
    These are pretty decent and cheap:
    Sportcount | LapCounters and Timers

Thanks Mike that's super cool of you to offer your time to Brendan. Brendan if you get a chance to ride with Mike he is one of the fastest if not the fastest guys I know.

mtbr member
    My phone isn't really accurate for a timer. Takes time to put in my pocket and time to take out, open and push stop. I ride mainly Rocky Knob currently. Pisgah is a bit far since I don't live in Marion anymore. I'm in Boone. Motomike, I wouldn't mind riding with you. Thinking of going to Sugar Mountain Today if it doesn't rain when I get geared up and start heading there.

mtbr member
    Motomike; Im looking for a chase cam and to get faster in my runs. Thats what Im looking to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    My phone isn't really accurate for a timer.
    Download Strava.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I have strava. Honestly....idk why people want me to go overbudget. My plans are for races and living. I just dont want to risk breaking my android tablet if I happen to fall from landing wrong or coming up short/overshooting a landing in a double or triple section. Moreover; I dont see why a riding partner is such a big deal to some. You see countless youtube videos advising and suggesting to ride with a more experienced and faster rider.

mtbr member
    I have strava. Honestly....idk why people want me to go overbudget. My plans are for races and living. I just dont want to risk breaking my android tablet if I happen to fall from landing wrong or coming up short/overshooting a landing in a double or triple section. Moreover; I dont see why a riding partner is such a big deal to some. You see countless youtube videos advising and suggesting to ride with a more experienced and faster rider.

Ok, I thought in post #5 you said you took your phone on rides already.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yeah...I do...for emergency purposes...as a contingency precaution. I use a basic flip phone.

mtbr member
    Yeah...I do...for emergency purposes...as a contingency precaution. I use a basic flip phone.
    ok, but why....all...the...periods?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Youre probably better off finding a trail that has sections on it that you struggle with and keep practicing those sections, until you feel like you perfected it than move to the next running lap times aren't really going to make you any faster unless your really good at all the components that go into a "fast run".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You could use a GPS watch that uploads to Strava. Some garmins are cheap. Mine does all the recording while the phone is locked away.

Raleigh
    ^^^ +1
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Hold up, you ride with a tablet?

mtbr member
    no. Wow...some people dont listen. '' I just dont want to risk breaking my android tablet if I happen to fall'' and I use a basic flip phone as I previously stated. Not quite sure where you got I ride with a tablet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Boone to Old Fort is 1.5 hours, not far at all and starting point to a sh1tl0ad of trails.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8015579/old-fort

ORAMM course - Jerdon course - plenty to chose from with gnarly terrain and DH's

since 4/10/2009
    It's a high enough priority for you, you probably should invest in something that can track your rides better than what you do now. Relying on other people for that is lame.

You're having a hard time finding a riding partner because of the way you're going about it.
    1. You keep asking for rides. People aren't going to volunteer to give you rides to somewhere unless you become friends. Unless you post on craigslist. Expect to pay. They have a topic for that. https://boone.craigslist.org/d/rideshare/search/rid

2. You keep asking for chase cams. Most people don't ride with video cameras running. I own one. Videos are a pain to do well, and if not done well, the footage is garbage. I'd rather ride than fuss with a video camera, so mine gets limited use. For that matter, how are you supposed to get faster with the faster rider following you for video footage?

3. You focus too much on speed, speed, speed, and racing, racing, racing. Most serious racers who are training ride solo, or with their team/training partner (someone with the same goals). Most people who ride don't care THAT much about going fast. First and foremost, most people just want to ride for fun, and people who take riding (or themselves) too seriously suck the fun out of it.

mtbr member
    Because Speed is what makes things fun. I only endure technical, rough climbs to eat dessert.

And I have offered to pay...but noone took up the ''compensation''. So thats out of the way. And Im a privateer....so short of running Beech....I often dont have a training partner and Id need to become atleast Cat 1/Expert/Elite to be on any Team.

And honestly; compared to the slow e bikes.....Id rather suggest this or a dirtbike. More bang for your buck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZQL9YVSQi8 Top Gun Bikes 1-775-301-5249 www.topgunbikes.com
    The Wolverine BM (Ballistic Missile) is the most powerful electric bike ever produced at 7000w of power we believe can reach 70mph and we will be putting it to the test.

mtbr member
    Because Speed is what makes things fun. I only endure technical, rough climbs to eat dessert.

And I have offered to pay...but noone took up the ''compensation''. So thats out of the way. And Im a privateer....so short of running Beech....I often dont have a training partner and Id need to become atleast Cat 1/Expert/Elite to be on any Team.

And honestly; compared to the slow e bikes.....Id rather suggest this or a dirtbike. More bang for your buck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZQL9YVSQi8 Top Gun Bikes 1-775-301-5249 www.topgunbikes.com
    The Wolverine BM (Ballistic Missile) is the most powerful electric bike ever produced at 7000w of power we believe can reach 70mph and we will be putting it to the test.
    Dude, CTFO. If you're fast you'll get noticed and picked up by team. Honestly, I think your drive is respectable. Train with structure at home on a trainer or alone on the road. Develop skill on the trail and speed will come. Talent, drive and effort will be reworded with success.

You're at a disadvantage here as there are no big enduros in the area. You might have to travel to get exposure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    All my races are not sanctioned. I missed nationals and don't see any more USAC Enduros, dh or Ds events this season. Least not anywhere I can afford to go. Wanted to do atleast one sanctioned USAC event this season...but don't see it happening. I don't do xc and collegiate stuff I'm not eligible for.

mtbr member
    My advise is focus more on what you need to do to make money as that will take you the furthest and get a car and the bike and equipment you're wanting then start traveling around for races when you can be self sufficient. In the mean time I'd concentrate on just having fun. Also maybe be a little less abrasive when you post threads, nobody on here is required to help you out so maybe be a little less harsh to people trying to offer advise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, take a year or two to work, save money, and get to whatever local races you can. I'm guessing you're pretty young; there at least three local colleges that have successful mtb racing teams, maybe more. I think Lees-McRae, Warren Wilson, and Brevard even have scholarship programs, but I might be wrong about that.

I cannot imagine a better way to learn skills, meet folks, and chase the pro dream then to get onto one of these teams. If college isn't your bag- which is cool, get that for sure- then working at shop or in the industry is the next best choice. My .02, have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Timed runs and training really shouldn't be done on multi-use trails. Beech and Sugar have downhill tracks. Maybe Clemson?