New trail at Uwharrie- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New trail at Uwharrie

Keyauwee Trail is WHEEEEEEE!

Discuss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have to agree with the description of wheee. The ribbon cutting last weekend was lots of fun. The sheer number of folks and bikes on the trail was great to see.

If you get a chance, go check out wood run in its new incarnation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was out there last weekend as well and I thought the Keyauwee was awesome! Can't wait to get back out there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Good to see new stuff...

...rode there in 2006 and plan to get back this coming summer to do more exploring and riding. Got to fish a bit also in the area and we had a great time and riding was super. Everyone I met was very friendly and helpful. It was refreshing to ride there as it was similar to Pa, but minus the millions of Gray Squirrels and chippys that constantly run across the trail in front of you!... LOL

Thanks for the hard work much appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You like? Want more? Let the leaders of Tarheel Trailblazers know. Better yet, join. Let the SORBA leadership know. Most important, let the managers & staff of Uwharrie National Forest know. This could just be the beginning if folks stand up but it won't happen on its own!

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    My opinion, since the closing of Skyrock, this place ain't worth riding.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Went out there this last Friday. Doubled up everything for 23 miles. We took White Tail on the way back instead of riding all of Woodrun and hit Supertree back to the last of Woodrun and the parking area.

Keyauwee was steeper than I had pictured. I have been to Uwharrie once before the new re-route and re-acclimation of the old trail. So I was expecting less elevation gain but it climbs fairly steep. Lots of grade reversals to keep it somewhat steep. I like the three log skinnys. Not too hard but fun for everyone features. I noticed 3 ride arounds...two on Keyauwee and one on Supertree. Of the 3 I like Supertree's the best. Supertree's actually had some rock with an up move/down move. Not too hard but fun. The first bypass on Keyauwee seemed like all the rock was pulled out of the trail tread and left on the sides? Not finished? Unauthorized trail changes? The second by pass was all armoring. I think it would be more fun to actually have rocks to maneuver up and over or through rather than flat armoring. I like the two rock slabs that you ride over. The trails were fast coming down, there were a few very small doubles that you can catch a little air. The grade reversals can be fun to ride...they are not big enough to really jump but you can pump the bike through them which is fun. The banked climbing turns were fun coming up and bombing down.

Supertree was fun and flowy. I like a little more combination of gnarliness.

All in all, I like that Keyauwee stayed somewhat steep. Reminded me alot of some of the Douthat climbs. The trails aren't too technical yet but hopefully opportunity will come to add more trail and more all mountain techy fun.

Hope to see more funding and more trails in the future. Good job Trail Dynamics. More challenging mix of sustainable trail please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rode everything the day after thanksgiving and had a great ride. Hadn't noticed the trailheads for Wood Run before, so I'm glad I found it. Pretty sweet for a short little trail. Cool rock garden as well! I got all the trails on my GPS and hoping to have a map out soon. I want to hit Keyauwee from the oppisite direction next time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    NEPMTBA, you ever fish the Uwharrie River, supposed to be really good when there's enough water to canoe or kayak, especially fly fishing. MTB and fly fishing two great sports that go great together.