New Trail - Lake Whelchel - Gaffney, SC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Trail - Lake Whelchel - Gaffney, SC

There is a really nice new trail open just outside of Gaffney, SC. I rode it this past Saturday, which was the official opening day for the trail. It is called the Lake Whelchel Trail and is part of the OVT National Historic Trail.

To reach the trail head, take I-85 to Gaffney and exit onto Hwy 150 heading north towards Boiling Springs, NC. Go a short distance and turn right onto Concord Rd. Go half a mile or so and there is a parking lot on your right.

From the parking lot trail head, take the trail by the sign for about 1/4 mile to the mail trail, which circumnavigates the lake. You can ride either direction. There is one pretty significant hill which you will descend if going counter clockwise or climb if going clockwise. Otherwise, it is mostly flat to rolling, with good flow in spots. My Strava showed about 400' of climbing per approx. 7 mile lap. I rode 1 lap in each direction and would say that clockwise was slightly more fun, but there is not a huge difference.

The trail is completely machine built and very hard tail friendly. I plan on going back sometime with my CX bike even. There is one section that comes out of the woods and goes across the dam that is out in the open, but otherwise, you are in the woods the whole time.

This is a great addition to the available trails in the Upstate. While it may not be long or difficult, it is really good fun. It is similar to FATS or Lake James.

New Trail  - Lake Whelchel - Gaffney, SC-whelchel.jpg

Google Map

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix...b_locale=en_US
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Honestly, any new trail in SC is worth a mention!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Just an update - I have ridden about a dozen laps at Lake Whelchel now and I keep having so much fun that I go back just about every week. It is getting fairly popular and I see more and more people there every time. The trail is getting faster as more people ride it.

Depending on which Strava session I trust, there is somewhere between 400 and 500' of climbing per lap. In fact, there is very little flat trail here, as you are going up or down a fairly easy grade most of the time. If you go clockwise, there is one pretty stout hill about a mile from the finish. If you go CCW, there are a few short but steep hills between the last big bridge and the finish. This is a great addition to the Upstate's collection of trails.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller