New South Pisgah Map- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New South Pisgah Map

Hi all,

We have just published a new trail guide to the Pisgah Ranger District between Brevard, Asheville and Waynesville. We think we've improved on other maps covering the same area by including trail names on the trails, improving the scale with Bent Creek on one side of the map and everything else on the other side (reducing the map flipping when out or planning a trip), providing more detail, and combining local knowledge into a map for the most commonly used areas in the National Forest South of Asheville. We've also described 16 popular mountain bike rides for mountain bike enthusiasts though this map is great for hikers, bikers, equestrians, trail runners and anglers.

The map is available in most of the local bike and outdoor shops around Asheville and Brevard and we hope to be in them all soon. We'll be branching out to get it in shops all over North and South Carolina as well. Stop into your favorite shop and see if they have it yet!

Thanks to everyone who has supported this project so far!

http://www.pisgahmapcompany.com

banned
    But does it have Butter gap on it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Yep

Category Winner
    Can't wait to see the map for the first time when Eric says "Go!"

So much for practicing my map flipping skills.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahmap
    Yep
    First off I'll say nice map, I had a look at one you left at The Hub. It's a certain improvement on the other notable map #780 from Nat Geo. That said, you should check this rather amazing (in the sense of who would have thought where Butter Gap was could be so engrossing?) threadabout perhaps the most notable map #780 mistake in Pisgah.

I noticed that your map has a trail 123A on it that descends from the real Butter Gap, as opposed to the pretend Butter Gap that trail 123 descends from. Do you have some inside info that this trail 123A is real (i.e. as in USFS real)? I was surprised to read on the USFS Butter Gap page (as pointed out by Clay) that they describe the trail you call 123A but they don't name it anything other the left fork of 123 (going uphill).

Anyway, welcome to the forum and don't wander off, there are some serious map geeks 'round these parts and we've got lots of questions.
    many gears, some pies

Official Cooler Inspector
    About time!
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    First off I'll say nice map, I had a look at one you left at The Hub. It's a certain improvement on the other notable map #780 from Nat Geo. That said, you should check this rather amazing (in the sense of who would have thought where Butter Gap was could be so engrossing?) threadabout perhaps the most notable map #780 mistake in Pisgah.

I noticed that your map has a trail 123A on it that descends from the real Butter Gap, as opposed to the pretend Butter Gap that trail 123 descends from. Do you have some inside info that this trail 123A is real (i.e. as in USFS real)? I was surprised to read on the USFS Butter Gap page (as pointed out by Clay) that they describe the trail you call 123A but they don't name it anything other the left fork of 123 (going uphill).

Anyway, welcome to the forum and don't wander off, there are some serious map geeks 'round these parts and we've got lots of questions.
    Thanks for the feedback ridn29s. 123A came directly from the USFS database so we believe it to be 'real'. That being said, the old trail going off Laurel Mountain down to Big Creek at Sassafras Gap was still in the USFS database and we deleted it. We also had several folks look it over for us in an attempt to 'get it right'. We made every effort to make the map as accurate as possible however there will always be some errors on every map. We do know of a couple errors on the map that will be corrected for the next printing. We are excited to hear more feedback as people start to use it.

drunken pirate
    Thanks for the feedback ridn29s. 123A came directly from the USFS database so we believe it to be 'real'. That being said, the old trail going off Laurel Mountain down to Big Creek at Sassafras Gap was still in the USFS database and we deleted it. We also had several folks look it over for us in an attempt to 'get it right'. We made every effort to make the map as accurate as possible however there will always be some errors on every map. We do know of a couple errors on the map that will be corrected for the next printing. We are excited to hear more feedback as people start to use it.
    It looked pretty accurate to my cursory glance with 123A being the biggest question (as well as the positional accuracy of several trails and roads, such as 471D as riding29s noted). If I happen to find a reason to stop in to The Hub over the weekend I'll be sure and give it another glance, I didn't even look at the Wilderness and Hiking Only stuff. I liked what I saw though
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    What's so funny about 123/123A/Butter is we all just thought it about this week and realized we all had different ideas about how real the map and the territory were.... I would have lived right on in my happy place if Clay and crossboy hadn't brought it up. New maps mean new understanding and more reasons to go explore.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's so funny about 123/123A/Butter is we all just thought it about this week and realized we all had different ideas about how real the map and the territory were.... I would have lived right on in my happy place if Clay and crossboy hadn't brought it up. New maps mean new understanding and more reasons to go explore.
    Well put ridn29s. I especially like your last sentence: "New maps mean new understanding and more reasons to go explore". That's a great quote! Now that this map is finally done we are excited to get out and do some more exploring ourselves!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Can't wait to see it. Any plans for an electronic copy, or one that is compatible (kml) with garmin custom maps. I'd love to be able to download it to my garmin edge.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bd279
    Can't wait to see it. Any plans for an electronic copy, or one that is compatible (kml) with garmin custom maps. I'd love to be able to download it to my garmin edge.
    We'd like to put out some sort of electronic version but haven't worked out any details.If we do we'll get the word out for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    It looked pretty accurate to my cursory glance with 123A being the biggest question (as well as the positional accuracy of several trails and roads, such as 471D as riding29s noted). If I happen to find a reason to stop in to The Hub over the weekend I'll be sure and give it another glance, I didn't even look at the Wilderness and Hiking Only stuff. I liked what I saw though
    471D is definitely accurate on our map - we collected the GPS data for that ourselves.

banned

Why would you delete a trail that was still in the USFS database ? People still ride that trail, was it deleted/closed?? I actually rode this trail with two people who were trying to get it put back on maps.WTF?

When did you get here?!?!
    Why would you delete a trail that was still in the USFS database ? People still ride that trail, was it deleted/closed?? I actually rode this trail with two people who were trying to get it put back on maps.WTF?
    Moto, the USFS closed that trail back in the early 90's after an environmental survey found that one of the switchbacks is unsustainable. Why did it not get taken out of the inventory? They held out hope for a long time that they were going to be able to fix it. Well, after years of no funding for the project they just asked the National Geo folks to take it off the map. The cairn's on the other hand (Slate Rock connector) has always been a 'social' trail and has never been in the database.
    At least that's the story my USFS guy told me.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Moto,

We left it off the map because we don't believe it to be a legal trail. We consulted Eric and some other folks and got responses similar to his response to this thread. Like all databases, the USFS GIS database that we got had several errors and went spent a lot of time making it better for our specific use. It's hard to say why the trail was still in the database. It's possible it just had not been updated or maybe they left it in as a historical reference. Worth noting, in the USFS database the trail was coded as 'hike only'. Not sure if that was correct when it was legal or not. Like I said, we found a bunch of errors like with every GIS database I work with. GIS data are extremely dynamic in nature as the real-world is constantly changing it is next to impossible to keep them completely up-to-date. Hopefully with our map out now and all the feedback we are sure to get - our database will be up to date and better each time we print the map.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Moto, the USFS closed that trail back in the early 90's after an environmental survey found that one of the switchbacks is unsustainable. Why did it not get taken out of the inventory? They held out hope for a long time that they were going to be able to fix it. Well, after years of no funding for the project they just asked the National Geo folks to take it off the map. The cairn's on the other hand (Slate Rock connector) has always been a 'social' trail and has never been in the database.
    At least that's the story my USFS guy told me.
    I guess this is a classic example of USFS handling procedure
    They have a trail with a switchback that is unsustainable and they fund other trail projects and just close this one Rant over.

And He was Not
    We made every effort to make the map as accurate as possible however there will always be some errors on every map. We do know of a couple errors on the map that will be corrected for the next printing. We are excited to hear more feedback as people start to use it.

Can you revive this thread and let everyone know when your next printing comes out?

Thanks for your works on these.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Can you revive this thread and let everyone know when your next printing comes out?

Thanks for your works on these.
    It depends on how quickly the first ones sell. Being the first week we've had them it's pretty hard to say. It won't be real soon ...

ohhman
    Perry Cove is legit now ,but Bennett has become seasonal. What torture.... might need to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    Perry Cove is legit now ,but Bennett has become seasonal. What torture.... might need to fix this.
    Bennett has been seasonal for a loooong time now.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Fix which part? Perry Cove is Hike/Bike and Bennett is seasonal on the map. We took a close look at this area as we believe 780 is confusing how they have the middle section of Bennett labeled with the Coontree Loop #144 (using a black label). The USFS data we used has that entire stretch as Bennett and that is what we used. I guess technically Bennett and Coontree overlap there. We labeled that section as part of Bennett.

Another confusing thing about the 780 is how they are not consistent with the colors of trail number labels on seasonal trails. For instance, the east side of Coontree Loop is seasonal (symbolized with blue line / labeled with black label). In contrast, North Slope Ridge is seasonal but symbolized with blue line / labeled with blue label. Seems to have to do with whether the entire trail is seasonal bike or just part. We tried to make it clearer on our map but maybe we didn't.

Thanks for the comments. We appreciate the input!

Fix which part?

Thanks for the comments. We appreciate the input!
    Pisgahmap, Perry Cove became hiking only about what 5 years ago. Sorry I didn't catch that.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Pisgahmap, Perry Cove became hiking only about what 5 years ago. Sorry I didn't catch that.
    Got it! Thanks!
    Last edited by pisgahmap; 04-17-2011 at 01:28 PM.

ohhman
    Bennett is not completely seasonal. Is falls in the middle. Only the middle section, where it accompanies Coontree (which is seasonal), is closed during the closure dates. y ou could technically walk the Coontree to Coontree and ride the bottom.

drunken pirate
    Bennett is not completely seasonal. Is falls in the middle. Only the middle section, where it accompanies Coontree (which is seasonal), is closed during the closure dates. y ou could technically walk the Coontree to Coontree and ride the bottom.
    Yep. I had thought all of Bennett was seasonal as well for a long time but recently have been led to believe that the only seasonal section is the shared portion with Coontree.... Which begs the question: was this map checked by the USFS? (I'm always looking for the most up to date info!)

I took another brief look at this new map the other day and it still looks good but there quite a few questions on some of the hiking only stuff... Once I get mine at pmbar I'll be sure and go over it in detail...
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Bennett is not completely seasonal. Is falls in the middle. Only the middle section, where it accompanies Coontree (which is seasonal), is closed during the closure dates. you could technically walk the Coontree to Coontree and ride the bottom.
    I've always thought the same thing. And since I can recall only a few times I ever encountered anyone (other than a hunter) hiking the upper portion it makes sense.

So says the USFS as well: Bennett Gap Trail #138

Quote Originally Posted by USFS
    "You will notice the Bennett Gap Trail intersects the Perry Cove Trail (#151) at Saddle Gap, and then shares the trail with almost one mile of the Coontree Loop (#144)—be sure to follow the red blazes."
    When two trails overlap the most restrictive designation rules, thus Bennett is seasonal on the part that overlaps Coontree.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've always thought the same thing. And since I can recall only a few times I ever encountered anyone (other than a hunter) hiking the upper portion it makes sense.

So says the USFS as well: Bennett Gap Trail #138

When two trails overlap the most restrictive designation rules, thus Bennett is seasonal on the part that overlaps Coontree.
    Thanks Salmansp and riding29s,

I was just reading that quote on the USFS Bennett Gap page. I remember we went back and forth about how to symbolize Bennett (all seasonal or just part) and we went with all to err on the conservative side. Sounds like another thing to change...

mtbr member
    Does The Hub have copies?
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Great map...having the trail names and the trail #'s on the map is a big improvement. Just something about this map is much more pleasing to the eye. Nice work!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Waterdogs,

Not yet ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Great map...having the trail names and the trail #'s on the map is a big improvement. Just something about this map is much more pleasing to the eye. Nice work!
    Thanks kkjellquist!

mtbr member
    If Bennet is not seasonal, then why does the FS have it posted as seasonal on the ground, at both ends? (of course, some genius removed the upper sign...)

If you look at the description of North Slope on the ranger district site, you'll see the same Open All Year description, but we all know it's Seasonal. Seems more like an omission on the site than a change to trail status.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    If Bennet is not seasonal, then why does the FS have it posted as seasonal on the ground, at both ends? (of course, some genius removed the upper sign...)

If you look at the description of North Slope on the ranger district site, you'll see the same Open All Year description, but we all know it's Seasonal. Seems more like an omission on the site than a change to trail status.
    Well first of all I never trust the little 'Forbidden' sticker that seems to pop-up randomly on signs throughout the district. Avery Creek is a good example of a trail that has never been closed to bikes yet someone puts a little forbidden sticker over the bike logo on a regular basis.I've seen the signs for North Slope have either 'Forbidden' or 'Seasonal' stickers on them, I've always suspected a few hikers carry the stickers around and post them on trails they don't like having bikes on.... Regarding Bennett, it makes sense they would sign the top since there aren't any signs (other than blazes on trees) at the Bennett Coontree intersection. Also, it makes sense to notify bikers 'at the top' that there is a part of the trail closed to them down at the bottom, especially since there aren't any alternate routes around the closed section. But you are right - who really knows?

BTW - the North Slope description also says: *Bicyclists must proceed beyond the amphitheater lot approximately 0.3 miles, enter Laurel Loop, and proceed to the trailhead between sites 87 & 89. Oops,how many of us access it through the amphitheater?
    many gears, some pies

Thread Killer
    It depends on how quickly the first ones sell. Being the first week we've had them it's pretty hard to say. It won't be real soon ...
    Just picked up a copy at Diamond Brand. They were right at the front desk. Now it's sitting on my table, staring at me, while I work, just begging to be explored. This is torture.

... or is there some unspoken agreement not to look at them before PMBAR that I missed? Can't I peak? Just a little?

ohhman
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Available later Today or Tomorrow @ The Hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Waterdogs,

Not yet ...
    Hey Waterdog,

We are taking some over to the Hub in the next day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Just picked up a copy at Diamond Brand. They were right at the front desk. Now it's sitting on my table, staring at me, while I work, just begging to be explored. This is torture.

... or is there some unspoken agreement not to look at them before PMBAR that I missed? Can't I peak? Just a little?
    Go right ahead and look crossboy. All the PMBAR info will be in separate passports this year!
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Thread Killer
    Y'all may want to look more closely at the Ivestor area - Ivestor is not bike-legal on the Wilderness side (map shows it red), Graveyard bike-legal ends further up the trail, and Flat Laurel Creek actuall extends all the way to the parking lot. The 780 is a bit confusing, so I can see where the errors may have originated. Great job overall!

mtbr member
    Available later Today or Tomorrow @ The Hub.
    Thanks, Hopefully there be some left this weekend. Can't make it up til then, I'm down in Greenville.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Y'all may want to look more closely at the Ivestor area - Ivestor is not bike-legal on the Wilderness side (map shows it red), Graveyard bike-legal ends further up the trail, and Flat Laurel Creek actuall extends all the way to the parking lot. The 780 is a bit confusing, so I can see where the errors may have originated. Great job overall!
    Hey crossboy,

Thanks for looking so closely. We appreciate the input.

Flat Laurel Creek is the one error that really bugs us on the map. It did extend up to the parking lot in our database but somehow got deleted and we didn't notice before printing! We will definitely fix that.

Ivestor and the Little East Fork Trail are shown in red within the Wilderness because they are actually equestrian trails but you are correct that you can not bike on them. We put a label close to them on the map that says 'Bicycles not allowed in wilderness areas'. Seems like Nat Geo uses an orange trail or some other color for trails in the Wilderness that horses can be on but no bikes. I don't have 780 near me to look right now. We'll look at some way to make it more clear next time. Definitely a little confusing since the exact same red trail everywhere else on the map is Hike/Bike/Horse.

I'll look at the Graveyard bike legal closer as well to see where it 'ends further up the trail'.

Thanks for the input!

drunken pirate
    471D is definitely accurate on our map - we collected the GPS data for that ourselves.
    Sorry, I was going off the memory of a brief glance. I took another brief glance and on your map 471D is positionally accurate.

However, you did get the intersection of 471D with Butter Gap* trail wrong. The road ends^ at the first intersection with the Art Loeb as shown on the 780 map. Brand new signs are up clearly marking where the road ends and the trail begins...

Butter Gap, how does it work?

* or is it now Butter Gap Bypass as the new sign indicates?
    ^ 471D may take a sharp left turn to the West at this point and become a wildlife road, that is still a little vague to me, but it is clear 471D does not go East of the Art Loeb.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    buttah gap #1...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    there is no Butter Gap on Butter Gap trail...

The Gap itself is right where it says on the map, one gap over from where the Butter Gap trails heads down to Grogan Creek. There's no trail where 123A is marked at the gap. Maybe from the bottom you could find it but from the top there are only some slight foot trails around the base of Cedar Rock. No trail(old or new) goes down the cove and if it did it would be VERY steep. Maybe I could find it, but it would take a 1/2 day of bushwhacking.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with many previous posters... it is a very nice map. However, you might want to check one of your "16 Classic Rides", in particular the Daniel Ridge Loop. Maybe I took a wrong turn or something (pretty sure I didn't) but from the Fish Hatchery parking lot round trip is right at 10 miles, your description says 4.5.... Also your directions say your way is counter clockwise, however you give clockwise directions. They way your directions read you climb up along the creek, which makes for A LOT of hike a bike (at least for me) and it would be a much better ride the opposite way..... Just might want to ride it like you wrote it and see if it makes sense for you.

Thread Killer
    So I'm sitting at PHX getting weird looks for reading a Pisgah map ...

- The county line label is incorrect just north of Poundingstone Mtn, at Grindstone Ridge. That's Transylvania and Henderson Counties; Haywood should be Henderson. You have Haywood labeled correctly elsewhere.

- Unless I'm reading it wrong, the legend for Laurel Mtn and Pilot Rock trails would seem to indicate they're hiking only. The map is correct, but the legend seems funky.

That's it for now, can't wait to get home and get into the forest!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
    I agree with many previous posters... it is a very nice map. However, you might want to check one of your "16 Classic Rides", in particular the Daniel Ridge Loop. Maybe I took a wrong turn or something (pretty sure I didn't) but from the Fish Hatchery parking lot round trip is right at 10 miles, your description says 4.5.... Also your directions say your way is counter clockwise, however you give clockwise directions. They way your directions read you climb up along the creek, which makes for A LOT of hike a bike (at least for me) and it would be a much better ride the opposite way..... Just might want to ride it like you wrote it and see if it makes sense for you.
    Hey Mecurial,

Thanks for pointing out the Daniels Ridge distance. It appears we calculated the distance by mistake from the parking area at the intersection of 137/475 instead of where we gave directions from (the Fish Hatchery). Definitely closer to 10 miles from the Fish Hatchery. Will look at the description too. Input much appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 1