New to NC- Mtbr.com

Thread: New to NC

Auto-x addict

New to NC

I just moved to Statesville area a week ago and looking for good trails to ride. I've ridden Itusi trail at Duke Power, but looking for more technical stuff. Any suggestions?

I'm used to driving an hour or two to get to the trailhead, so, Charlotte or beyond is not a problem.

I was here in Oct., and rode Laurel Mtn. over near Asheville, and had a blast, but, need something a little bit closer for now.

Thanks

Slow Guy
    Welcome to NC, VpointVick.

I would recommend you try small brown dog: www.smallbrowndog.com

Also, First Flight did some trailwork in Statesville. Their shop is downtown, I believe.

Charlotte has some nice trails, Beech Springs, etc.

Weekend trips to the Asheville area should be on your agenda, too.

Welcome to NC.

Element (in Hickory)
    mmm.....dirt

mtbr member
    Just down the road, you have Tanglewood in Clemmons, Hobby Park in Winston-Salem, and Owl's Roost in Greensboro.

Tanglewood is not a lot of ups and downs, but it has a lot of log piles and is very fast.

Hobby Park is nothing but up and down. It's a real workout.

Owl's Roost is a combo of the two, and got voted as one of the top ten urban trails by Bicycling Magazine (I think that's the one, anyway.)

There are a couple of other trails around, but these are the three I go to all of the time. I have heard great things about the trails by Kerr Scott Dam in Wilkesboro. They are holding a 24hr race there Memorial Day weekend.

Welcome to the state!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kitsuma is about 45 minutes or more closer than Laurel Mt. Should be an easy day trip for you.

Also, see the thread about Dark Mt. Trails, they are new, and in or around N. Wilksboro (Within an hour).

Yancee, etc up around mortimer should be about 1.5 hours, I think, as is the entire boone area.

Also, you are pretty close to Greensboro (Owls Roost, and a bunch of other parks to give an easy 20-30 mile no-repeat ride, although not that challenging) and close to Winston Salem, which I understand has good trails in a couple locations, names are escaping me at this early hour.

If you are in the Raliegh area, we have over 100 miles of singletrack in the area, visit www.trianglemtb.com. Everything from easy beginner, to nice XC to some pretty good freeride stunts. (Nothing like pisgah though)

Almost forgot, I'm not sure how close you are to Uwharrie Nat. Forest near Albemarle, but I think that is close, and it is a nice trail.

If you are willing to drive 1-2 hours then you're in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    181 headed out of Morganton has lots of technical trails. Some are shuttle only rides, some are not, but all are fun. Let me know, I'm sure we can get a few guys to show you around.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni

Trails to hit....

In the Charlotte area be sure to hit Beech Springs (Poplar-Tent) and Catawba......

If you like some North Shore and DJ mixed in then PeeWees in Lincolnton will hit the spot!

Welcome to the Kakalaki's

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajaguars
    Hobby Park is nothing but up and down. It's a real workout.
    Heh, I was there today, it kicked my ass. I rode just the upper part where it's so steep and thought I was gonna pass out. I was trying to keep up with someone out there who was going to show me the parts of the trail I've missed in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild
    181 headed out of Morganton has lots of technical trails. Some are shuttle only rides, some are not, but all are fun. Let me know, I'm sure we can get a few guys to show you around.
    North from Morganton? I'd like to know where you're talking about, I'm up that way once in a while.
    Last edited by RidgeRunner; 05-14-2004 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
    Heh, I was there today, it kicked my ass. I rode just the upper part where it's so steep and thought I was gonna pass out. I was trying to keep up with someone out there who was going to show me the parts of the trail I've missed in the past. North from Morganton? I'd like to know where you're talking about, I'm up that way once in a while.

I was out there last night, and experienced my first real mechanical. My chain jammed, and it caused my front derailer not to go into low anymore. I had to ride the rest of the way in high or middle. It was interesting trying to make the climbs on the backside, that's for sure.

I'm heading over to Owl's Roost this afternoon. Should be a blast.

Feb 2004
    I was out there last night, and experienced my first real mechanical. My chain jammed, and it caused my front derailer not to go into low anymore. I had to ride the rest of the way in high or middle. It was interesting trying to make the climbs on the backside, that's for sure.

Owl's Roost? Never heard of that one...

I'm tempted to hit either Hobby Park again or see if there's anything at Finch Park in Lexington Sunday. I've been told there's some trails at Finch, but all I've seen so far is the little loop around the lake.

Registered Dietitian

I live about 5 minutes from Owl's Roost-

Let me know if you want to ride soon, if you're in the area-

tommyrod74 AT hotmail DOT com
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
    North from Morganton? I'd like to know where you're talking about, I'm up that way once in a while.
    Headed west on I-40 to exit 105. Turn right and just keeping going straight. From the exit, travel time depending on which trail or trails you want to ride, is going to be anywhere from 30 to 45 mins. When we do shuttle runs, we usually start in Gingercake Acres and do Raspberry Ridge or either start at Greentown. Some of the non-shuttle rides would be Goat Trail/Sinkhole or 21 jumps/Schoolhouse. Lots of other trails we link together for the shuttles.

Feb 2004
    Poplar Tent is a definite. Have you guys seen all the new stuff they put in? A couple high log crossings and a really cool drop (close to round rock), not that I really ride that stuff.

DD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74
    Let me know if you want to ride soon, if you're in the area-

tommyrod74 AT hotmail DOT com
    I'll drop you a line, but I don't know when I'll be riding next.

I got my shifting problem fixed, and headed over to Owl's Roost for a ride. Got done with Owl's, and was headed back on the hardball, and shot up Little Loop. Never done it before, and wanted to see what it was like. Seemed to be fun, up and down but with not really technical, but the I broke a spoke on my rear wheel Second time in the last couple of rides. I had to take my bike to the shop anyway, my fork is flexing so much the tire is rubbing. Manitou is replacing the sliders, but I'm still concerned it will just happen again. I think I am starting to either out-perform my set up, or I'm just too hard on it.

I hope to be able to ride again on Wednesday, but that's going to be local in Winston. Probably Hobby Park. It's on my way home.

If you're headed over here, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. I try to get to Hobby on weeknights by about 5:30. Gives me time to get, I mean attempt, two laps. Can't say I'm all that good, but I try

Ski during the off-season

North Meck State park

There is a mtb trail at the North Meck State Park, which is near exit-25 off I-77. Depending on where you are at in Statesville and how fast you drive ;-), it should take you 30-40 minutes to get there.

If you are heading South on I-77 from the Statesville, take exit-25, and turn left at the light. Go to the 3rd stop light (1.5-2 miles) and turn rt on hwy-115. The park park will be on your right about 1/2 mile.

The trail was built by the tarheel traiblazers and is a bit more technical than the Itusi trail. As someone described it to me, it is pretty 'rooted' -- there are many logs to jump, a nice size log pile, several bridges, etc. Its 3-4 miles long. I have been mtb'ing less than a year, and it still kicks my butt when I ride it.

Regarding the Itusi, are you on the yahoo email list? In the last one that I got, they mentioned that they should be finished with the 2nd phase this past week. Thus, it should be open soon once the get approval on it.