New Dupont Map- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Dupont Map

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Dupont Map

If anyone is interested, I dropped a draft of the new Dupont map at The Hub in Brevard and Pro Bikes in Asheville if anyone wants to give it a look and make comments. I have already met with the Dupont Forest Supervisor and the Friends of Dupont Trails Committee and gotten their input. They all seem very excited about the new map. Some changes have already been made to the map based on trails committee recommendations that are not on the drafts available for preview.

A few things we did on this map that you might be interested in:

• symbolized roads and trails differently
    • included trail names on the trails
    • included road names on the roads
    • described some popular rides and included inset maps showing those rides
    • included elevation profiles of described rides
    • zoomed in to provide more detail
    • designed the map to be printed 38"x25.75" - also allowing better detail

If the NC Forest Service calls it a trail, it got symbolized as a trail and the same with roads. We understand that some trails are 'road-like' and the characteristics of some trails change from seeming like trail to road and back to trail (i.e. Corn Mill Shoals). We did not reflect how each segment of road/trail 'seems' on the ground but what the forest service designates for a particular road or trail. Some have recently been changed from 'trail' to 'road' for instance.

Feel free to mark up and write on either copy of the map if you like. No guarantee any suggestions will be incorporated into the map. I plan on sending it to press by the end of next week and should have it back a couple weeks after that.

I have limited access to the internet this week so I hope most comments get put on the maps although I will be looking at this forum later in the week and next week if comments are made here.

Thanks -

Pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Awesome! I've spent a lot of time in the past looking at a trail number and matching it up with the name of the trail... It took a while to memorize a loop!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    This map more than any other needs she trail names next to the trails. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Stopped into PB last night and went immediately to the map... Didn't see this thread, but when I saw it on the counter I knew exactly what it was. Perhaps I'll swing by again tonight and really scope it out.

Nice work, can't wait for a PMC DSRF map, even if I know my way around!

Members who have read this thread: 0