New Christian mountain bike club in Asheville - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Politically Incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by rider4jesus
    Moto, I like that you have looked into the teachings of Jesus before making blanket statements about the bible.However if you read Luke chapter 16 verse 19-31 I think you will find that Jesus did teach about hell and it doesn't sound like a fun place.
    God Speed,
    And how do you know that passage wasn't inserted by some monk who had too much mead transcribing the bible by candle-light 500 years ago?
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by motoenth
    And how do you know that passage wasn't inserted by some monk who had too much mead transcribing the bible by candle-light 500 years ago?
    Monks don't drink.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Hey rider4jesus good luck with your club, I hope it does well. Brush off the typical attacks and continue to have a good time in your passions for faith and mountain biking. Although I drink I still respect your commitments and how you feel alcohol in your club could effect your personal testimony and witness. I for one would have no problem coming to one of your rides and respecting your feelings while there. Life is all about give and take. Keep it up!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    monks do drink, or rather did drink at one time. monks are the reason we have beer in its current form (they added hops). the mayflower full of pilgrims landed in MASS. cause the crew was out of beer. sumarians used 60% of their grain harvest for the making of beer. when Israel tells his sons to go to egypt to get the stored grain, one of the most common preservation methods was fermintation at that time. noah, grew grapes....... became drunk......

what ever.

okra!

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Monks are also responsible for all the different breeds of domesticated rabbits we have. So be sure to thank your local monk for angora yarn and good brews.....

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Monks don't drink.
    Oooooohhh yes they do! Lots! And they eat cheese. I've seen 'em do it. I think there are some alcohol free cults out there somewhere though. But I'am not sure.

Official Cooler Inspector
    A simple example of how a thread involving brew pubs and Monks can turn "political".

http://www.mountainx.com/ae/2008/the_thirsty_monk

One thing I've appreciated here, is that the respectable/thought provoking comments have outweighed the bs.

Hope everyone enjoys their sweet potatoes tomorrow - mash'd, pudding'd or pie'd.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Happy Thanksgiving all. Remember if being with the relatives gets to be too much to handle. Go hit the trail for a little while maybe I'll see you out there.
    God Speed, Mark

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Happy Thanksgiving all. Remember if being with the relatives gets to be too much to handle. Go hit the trail for a little while maybe I'll see you out there.
    God Speed, Mark
    Happy Thanksgiving Mark!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yay god!

mtbr member
    I'm putting together a schedule for Christians in the Raleigh, NC area that would like to meetup and hit the trails.

Riders interested, let me know.
    "if only you try to do - then do you fail because you only tried" ZH01 (3rd PD)

Oct 2005
    Are non-Christians welcome?

Quote Originally Posted by ZaqHydN
    I'm putting together a schedule for Christians in the Raleigh, NC area that would like to meetup and hit the trails.

Riders interested, let me know.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 03-10-2009 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    maida7 asked me to ask you if we can bring beer...

Its got what plants crave
    Bring some O'Doules!

yeah, uh............bikes

The Christian Thread is Back!!!!!!

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Just an update Asheville Believers on Mountain Bikes is doing very well. We have enjoyed great attendance all winter long, and are now looking forward to the spring and possibly working with some other local groups on projects or events. We are currently getting a group together for the Nali Fat Tire Festival out at Dupont to support Eckerd Youth Alternatives Camp E-Toh-Kalu. This is a great cause not to mention it looks to be a real fun time for the whole family! You can get information at our website or the event website.
    God Speed, Mark

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...2-1cea2457e954 - 92k
    Last edited by rider4jesus; 03-10-2009 at 05:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello fellow Christians! I was actually hoping to do something like this when my wife and I (hope) to move down this summer. We currently live in Wisconsin, but we are looking for teaching jobs in North Carolina. Actually, we have a couple of interviews next week and we'll be in the Asheville area for pretty much the entire week with our mountain bikes. I'm a bit concerned about the weather, as it looks like rain for pretty much the whole week. Are any of the trails ok to ride in the rain, or is it a bad idea? Most of the trails in Wisconsin close after any rain, so I'm hoping the mountains drain a bit better We've never biked in North Carolina before, and we're really looking forward to it. Thanks for any help in advance!

Big Mac
    There really aren't that many Christians in Asheville. Just a few. We have more hippies and Witches, but I don't think that they have mountain bike groups. Then again maybe they do. I think there are some Catholics too, but not many Christians.

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    mountainbiker24 great to hear from you. Some trails do shed rain better than others as a group we do try to preserve the trails. Meaning that during times of rain or thaw we try to keep our riding to trails that shed well or fire roads. No one likes rutted up trails. I will point out that even though the forcast quite often calls for rain we rarely get any. Because of the way the mountain sit around Asheville you can have rain all around us and none in Asheville. I will often head out for a ride and decide where I was going to go to looks like rain and will simply point the car in the direction of the fewest clouds and will find a trail thats dry. If you are in the area on saturday we meet at Bent Creek Rec Area at the Rice Pinnacle Trail head at 10:00am. Check out our website
    God Speed, Mark

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    We do have some really desent folks down here no matter what we all call ourselves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Unfortunately, we won't be in town on a Saturday long enough to get a ride in. We'll be in town Monday through Saturday morning, but we need to hit the road fairly early. We really have no idea where to go other than the trails on mtbikewnc.com, so if it does rain I don't know which trails are ok and which ones are sensitive. I'm so tired of the long, cold winters in Wisconsin, so rain doesn't bother me so much. That said, I want to respect your trails as much as I can. Thanks for the insight about the weather patterns in Asheville. Do you have a favorite bike shop? We'll probably end up stopping at a shop or two for some direction.

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    I do most of my shopping at Carolina Fatz right at the entrance of Bent Creek. Truth be known though there isn't a bad shop in the area. Our bike community is second to none anywhere.
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    I can tell ya that Carolina Fatz rocks...and I'm from Florida.....and BOMB rules!! Wazzup Mark!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Carolina Fatz does rock Jason, Nate, Marcus, and the rest of the guys main goal is to get you back on the trail no matter what it takes. Drop by and see them. You won't be disappointed.
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    Well (.....)The rides are open to all at the rides I think it goes without saying that drinking is'nt (isn't) allowed during rides. This has more to do with the consept (concept) that intoxicated rider(s) have a habit of having to be carried out,I personly (personally) perfer (prefer) to be riding (insert word here (rather)) than performing first aid. Also the word says not to be a stumbling block to other believers if one believes that drinking is prohibitted (prohibited) than it is for them. The Bible says to be sober( ; ) the meaning of sober is soundness of mind. 1 drink may cause some not to have soundness of mind.I would rather focus on our common belief in Jesus Christ than our differences in theology.

By the way no you don't get to take your bike to Heaven.........But you do get a brand new one with bike bling like you have never dreamed of.
    God Speed!!!
    I just don't know what to say...I ran out of red ink. Maybe I should drink, so I can understand his post. I was also wondering if there were many drinkers who drink and ride. And, is there a large group of riders who have had to perform first aid on drinking riders???? I have been riding a long time (mostly with heathens) and have never had to perform first aid on a drinker......

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikekayakhike
    I just don't know what to say...I ran out of red ink. Maybe I should drink, so I can understand his post. I was also wondering if there were many drinkers who drink and ride. And, is there a large group of riders who have had to perform first aid on drinking riders???? I have been riding a long time (mostly with heathens) and have never had to perform first aid on a drinker......

bikekayakhike,
    Maybe you should start a group ETOMB (english teachers on mnt bikes). I stated that drinking was not allowed during rides (that are open to all drinkers or not). I think most will agree riding while intoxicated could be dangerous, and could result in first aid having to be performed.
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    Is anyone or was anyone, at one time, that is involved in this discussion an EMT?

mtbr member

We the people ... Christian Riding Group

I want to thank the chapter for this thread. This post is slightly off-topic regarding a new Christian Riding Group in the Triangle Area (Raleigh).

Every time I go out on a ride, I stretch, then I check my gear, then I kneel beside my bike to pray that my efforts affect someone, somehow, someway, to find a greater meaning in their life through a relationship with Christ.

Then, my favorite thing to do when I'm riding is to Pray for others, and occasionally myself for the endurance and strength to continue when my body becomes weak.

When my ride is finished, I thank God for each and every day set before me.
    I want to share the joy of this experience with others.

The Triangle Area Christian Riding Group is forming, and those with genuine interest are more than welcome to inquire within --> [email protected]

The goal and purpose of this CRG is simply to bring together those who wish to ride with other Christians and share each other's support to strengthen our relationship with Christ.

Our format will be simple: (individual participation is voluntary and not required)
    Meet & Greet -> Gear Check -> Opening Ride Prayer & Dedication -> Ride -> Post-Ride Assembly & Discussion -> Giving Thanks

After the ride meeting, it would be nice to meet at a local restaurant, because I am sure that I'm not the only one that gets hungry after a ride.

To whom it may concern:
    Being well aware of what's to come of this post, I will NOT be checking this thread for replies of interest or otherwise.
    This posting is intended to act as an invitational notice to those that might be interested in the ride group.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bikekayakhike,
    I think most will agree riding while intoxicated could be dangerous, and could result in first aid having to be performed.
    I have no issues with a group of like-minded people meeting, and whatever personal thoughts I might have about religion, I'll keep to myself.

But I do have an issue with someone equating "drinking a beer" with being intoxicated. I've been on many o' epic rides in Pisgah where someone (or several) in the group will pull out a nice, thick oatmeal stout or a hoppy IPA at the top of a long, 6-mile climb and enjoy it with their friends while taking a break and having a snack.

I've never seen anyone get hurt doing this, and it does bother me to equate anyone who has a beer with being "intoxicated".

Personally, I don't drink that much, but when I do, it seems to me that the top of a beautiful view (think Pilot Cove or top of Black Mountain), on a georgeous spring day, after a long climb, with the best of friends, over a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is just about the perfect time for one....
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

mtbr member
    What is there to debate? No alcohol allowed. End of story.

banned

And remember.....

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Carolina Fatz does rock Jason, Nate, Marcus, and the rest of the guys main goal is to get you back on the trail no matter what it takes. Drop by and see them. You won't be disappointed.
    God Speed, Mark
    a$$-pats @ fatz are always free.

pronounced may-duh
    Can't help myself

I won't tell you what's in my camelbak if you don't ask

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    what about cussing? is that allowed? or gossip? can we talk about OPP ( other people's problems)? or lust? harmful thoughts? can I covet your bike? poaching at trail? are sinners allowed?

That's the crazy thing about Christians, they have all these rules and are " outwardly perfect" but what about all those chicken wings you are eating after the ride, with that sweet tea or coke = 12 teaspoons of sugar per 12 oz serving.

So, gluttony is ok? or overindulgence?

Scripture calls for moderation, I think you should not be drinking all that sweet tea, you think I should not drink that beer. Both are potentially harmful, how come no one is HARPing on sweet tea?

Let it go.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    HARPing on sweet tea
    Hey now, don't you say nothin' 'bout my sweety You ought to know better livin' down here in the south

We don't talk about Mama's or sweeties, period!

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    I've just got to get this straight, "Nobody likes Christians cause their judgemental and hypocrites. And while we're at it let me tell you everything else they do wrong thats not any different than what we're all doing". Ok I think I've got it now. By the way if anyone wants to ride bikes and stop trying to figure out why one group is better or worse than another come on out to one of our rides. Then you can decide what we are or are not, All we want is a chance to prove you don't have to be a 80 year old, bible toting, hell fire preaching, turn or burn preacher, to be a Christian. You can be a group of mountain bikers enjoying the ride. while trying to show what loving others like Jesus did; looks like. If you want to see if we are the real deal join us for a ride. There is one thing we don't allow...disrespecting anyone. If someone was worth Christ dying for then they are worthy of my respect.
    God Speed, Mark
    Last edited by rider4jesus; 03-17-2009 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've just got to get this straight, "Nobody likes Christians cause their judgemental and hypocrites.
    God likes Christians....most of them

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just for the record:

Someone sent me a private message imploring me to "act like an adult", to stop instigating, to please step out of this discussion.

I fear that I might be mistaken as someone trying to stir up trouble. Please understand that this is not my intention. I am challenging thought patterns... my own as well as other people's... that's how we get smarter, we challenge each other, both on the bike and off the bike.

I have no ill feelings towards any of the people who are part of this discussion, and I would gladly sit down with them after a ride and share a meal with them (if they paid).

These ideas are things that I struggle with on a daily basis, and will continue to struggle with them until I find an asnwer. And along the way, I'll throw in a little humor!!!

So, if I have offended you, I apologize, but I would hope that you would find a challenge in my challenge and maybe challenge me in return.......

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008

No.. he only likes baptists.... or was it presbyterians... oh hell I don't remember anymore.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Just for the record back at you

Read reply#33 you sent out. How could someone challange you after writing stupid s***
    like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUDO
    Read reply#33 you sent out. How could someone challange you after writing stupid s***
    like that.

? ? Clearly. ? ?

Jun 2008
    Corey what do you need an EMT for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've just got to get this straight, "Nobody likes Christians cause their judgemental and hypocrites
    I don't think christians are hated for this reason, I think that anybody who is blatantly like this would be hated for it, regardless of religious beliefs.

By the way, I was thinking about starting RAMBLE- Raleigh Atheist Mountain Biking League for Excitement.
    The rides will be open to anybody, no matter their beliefs, and we will have a short time for denouncing religion and discussing the lunacy of a 2000 year old zombie that is his own father and lives in the clouds and has time to involve himself in every second of every life of the 6.7 billion people on this planet.

That doesn't sound too inviting to those that don't believe the same thing, does it? You can say that anybody is welcome to your rides, but you probably know that those that don't share your beliefs won't show up because of the exclusionary nature of your club and its activities.

I don't care what other people think or do, as long as it isn't pushed onto me or negatively impact anybody else. I won't be joining your BOMB rides or group, but that is because I don't share your beliefs, not because I think negatively of you for having them.

PW

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Those dam democrats

Hey Weazel,
    I know how you feel about not riding with someone if you dont share there beliefs.
    I'm a Republican and I would'nt dare ride with a Democrat because I dont share there beliefs.

Everyone on this site that has put down or made fun of Christains please come up with better s*** than this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mods:
    Why haven't you shut this down?

The OP simply posted about a new club he's formed. He made no comments about morality or behavior.
    Then someone responded with a comment about drinking. Hardly grounds for the death penalty.
    Then it turned into a blanket party of insults about Christianty.

No one here will really care but it's really disappointing to see mtbr's acting like this. I really thought we were much more tolerant and open minded than what I've read - guess I was wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you are a Republican, I am guessing that you won't go on a ride that is listed as a Democrats group ride, just as I won't go on a ride that is listed as a christian ride. If there are christians on a ride that I am on, I won't care. I just choose not to join a ride that is based on something of which I am not a part.
    If you go on a ride and ask people their religious preference or party affiliation, people will be wondering your ulterior motives. When I ride, I ride to ride, not to accomplish anything else. I used to ride with a guy who initially asked me to join in a prayer before our ride, and I politely declined. He and some of the other guys did their thing, and we all rode together as a happy group after, with nothing ever being mentioned again.

ridn29s- I know! Sorry, I just had to clarify something. I stated things simply enough to make my previous statements abundantly clear.

pronounced may-duh
    Just stop posting. Stop clarifying. Stop trying to get the last word. let it go let the other guy win or be wrong or whatever. Just let it die already

Silence = death

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Medic
    Corey what do you need an EMT for?

Heck, honestly I forget.

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by weazel
    By the way, I was thinking about starting RAMBLE- Raleigh Atheist Mountain Biking League for Excitement.
    The rides will be open to anybody, no matter their beliefs, and we will have a short time for denouncing religion and discussing the lunacy of a 2000 year old zombie that is his own father and lives in the clouds and has time to involve himself in every second of every life of the 6.7 billion people on this planet.

That doesn't sound too inviting to those that don't believe the same thing, does it? You can say that anybody is welcome to your rides, but you probably know that those that don't share your beliefs won't show up because of the exclusionary nature of your club and its activities.

PW
    Actually weazel as as an ex-atheist I can truthfully say that while I didn't believe in God I often would attend Christian events. I was interested in how educated rational people could believe in what I considered so preposterous. I discovered that while it defined common reason the people there seemed to benefit from their beliefs far more than I had experienced from my own. I had to be open minded to the idea that there was something beyond what common logic or myself could understand. If others have not had the same realization it not up to me to force them to believe; but to show them through my actions. If no one ever says what they believe; than how will you know what dictates their actions. Than how will you ever learn from others experiences.
    God Speed, Mark

Oct 2007
    sad.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    I can't believe this thread got over 1000 views...or that it's snowing in April! Let's keep it going.

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    I can't believe this thread got over 1000 views...or that it's snowing in April! Let's keep it going.
    Oh Cheezy Rice! Let's not!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you should dig up the greens lick thread, that was a good one

Oct 2005
    Stryper is coming out with a new album soon...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Is "Here comes the bride" going to be on it?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

XC Champion
    May 2006

I'll be the first one in line for that. I used to rock "To Hell with the Devil" back in middle school.

That's Special
    The Yellow and Black Attack is back.

Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I heard some sound clips of Stryper. Pretty good!
    Last edited by zarr; 04-07-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    I would like to thank all that have showed up for the BOMB rides. The Saturday morning, And Monday night rides have had such good attendance lately. We have decided to start a Thursday night funride. This is a fun ride lasting a hour to a hour and a half at a easy pace. Should be a good beginners or recovery ride. come on out and join us. We'll meet at the Rice Pinnacle trailhead at 6:30pm.
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    so do lions.
    doing things the hard way since, well, forever...

mtbr member
    It's sort of unusual to use an MTBR forum as a club meeting site. I can't think of any other group that does this; most create their own independent web sites as a courtesy to everyone.

For the love of God, please consider doing so. I think it will help to reduce the negative responses here.

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    It's sort of unusual to use an MTBR forum as a club meeting site. I can't think of any other group that does this; most create their own independent web sites as a courtesy to everyone.

For the love of God, please consider doing so. I think it will help to reduce the negative responses here.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Looking at the responses though I think we can assume that few if any of the responses were from club members. We do have a club website it is posted at the bottom of everyone of my post. Any ride info passed on this forum is for rides open for everyone. Much how other groups announce their events. As for the negative responses I believe evryone is entitled to speak their mind. If they respond good or bad at least momentarily they considered a alternate point of view. As I have when I respond to them.
    God Speed, Mark

Steve..... Jesus loves you, but then again he Loves everyone, so you're not really that special

banned
    is this thread EVER gonna die?

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Hey Brado I've got to admit I love the Pope Star Wars parody from post #30. I saved it and refer to it often when I need to lighten up a little.
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    is this thread EVER gonna die?
    If it does, it can always be resurrected. ...as a courtesy to it's subscribers.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Mark,

The thread doesn't rub me the wrong way, but as we know, religion and politics tend to irritate folks. I see forums like MTBR as a place where people go to focus on what they love and to get away from other topics; it's sort of a refuge. Perhaps it's the mixing of the topics that causes the negative response. (You got your Jesus in my Mountain Biking!... You got your Mountain Biking in my Jesus! )

Since this thread has caused a lot of irritation for some, perhaps you could stop posting in it. Instead, put up a new announcement each time you have something to let folks know.

When people come to a forum, they want to see and read new topics. When they come to the board and it's the same old topic that they weren't interested in MONTHS ago, then it's a drag. Especially when it's a semi-non-constructive flame thread.

Like last week, a weekly 'what's going on this weekend' thread would be a good idea. You could post the club's events in there rather than keeping this one alive.

Hope this helps.

(the other day, sitting at the top of Daniel, I looked left and I looked right, asking, "What would Jesus bomb?"... )

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Mark,

The thread doesn't rub me the wrong way, but as we know, religion and politics tend to irritate folks. I see forums like MTBR as a place where people go to focus on what they love and to get away from other topics; it's sort of a refuge. Perhaps it's the mixing of the topics that causes the negative response. (You got your Jesus in my Mountain Biking!... You got your Mountain Biking in my Jesus! )

Since this thread has caused a lot of irritation for some, perhaps you could stop posting in it. Instead, put up a new announcement each time you have something to let folks know.

When people come to a forum, they want to see and read new topics. When they come to the board and it's the same old topic that they weren't interested in MONTHS ago, then it's a drag. Especially when it's a semi-non-constructive flame thread.

Like last week, a weekly 'what's going on this weekend' thread would be a good idea. You could post the club's events in there rather than keeping this one alive.

Hope this helps.

(the other day, sitting at the top of Daniel, I looked left and I looked right, asking, "What would Jesus bomb?"... )
    Why don't you leave this man alone and let him bring his spirit of goodness where he chooses. What is it to you? Leave him alone.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Oh Cheezy Rice! Let's not!
    One more post like that and I'll boycott your events
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    D.F.L. I truly do respect your point of view. If you look at no time have I revived this thread. I have only responded to post by other members During which time I have stated how or what the club is doing. If you look back I think you will agree that I have actually refrained from responding to replies which normally would have drawn responses on any other thread. At no time have I argued or belittled anyone. This I believe is true tolerance a virtue often preached but rarely practiced. If people truly were not interested in this thread why has it have such an overwhelming response. Many things in life irritate people (myself included) that doesn't make them wrong or without value.
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wow, longest thread ever.

I just want to know if Mark and other BOMB members are going to jump in and get dirty on some trail work days (Bent Creek, Pisgah proper, DuPont, Richmond Hill or where-ever)?

I am pretty sure that Jesus was a big believer in the concept of service to others.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman

I just want to know if Mark and other BOMB members are going to jump in and get dirty on some trail work days (Bent Creek, Pisgah proper, DuPont, Richmond Hill or where-ever)?

I am pretty sure that Jesus was a big believer in the concept of service to others.

Woody
    so your answer to "What would Jesus do?" would be "build a sustainable trail?"

mtbr member
    First off, Jesus would walk to the top of Greens Lick in his sandles carrying a shovel.
    And he would rebuild all those berms.
    Then he would look up and say:
    Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    First off, Jesus would walk to the top of Greens Lick in his sandles carrying a shovel.
    And he would rebuild all those berms.
    Then he would look up and say:
    Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.

My guess is Jesus would be more into building bridges, boardwalks and wooden TTFs (like ladder bridges). After all, Jesus was a carpenter.

Its got what plants crave
    My guess is Jesus would be more into building bridges, boardwalks and wooden TTFs (like ladder bridges). After all, Jesus was a carpenter.

He was definitely a freerider then. If he can turn water to wine, perhaps he turns crappy doubletrack into flowy singletrack?

Actually, maybe he already did, there are just parts of Pisgah he never got around to

mtbr member
    And all you can eat fish and bread to all volunteers!!
    SEI Racing

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008

Woody
    Actually Woody I went to school for forest management and am very interested in working with other groups on trail projects. I talked to members of other groups about possible joint efforts but decided to wait til we built up a little creditbility doing our own smaller projects after the response we received on this thread. Not that I blame anyone. People have grown use to hearing Christians say one thing while acting an other. I figured it would take some time to prove we are the real deal before we would be readily accepted by other groups. I truly do look forward the chance to work with other groups.
    God Speed, Mark

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    There really aren't that many Christians in Asheville. Just a few. We have more hippies and Witches, but I don't think that they have mountain bike groups. Then again maybe they do. I think there are some Catholics too, but not many Christians.

psst- catholics are christians.... the non-catholic christian religions are/were called protestant because they originated in protest to some of the practices of the catholic church.

Ride WNC
    May 2006
    And is there not a moderator?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    psst- catholics are christians.... the non-catholic christian religions are/were called protestant because they originated in protest to some of the practices of the catholic church.
    Damn! You're a sharp cookie! Ain't nothin' gettin' past this fella. You a theologin'?

is no longer new
    May 2008
    i love the group, the idea, the trails, but not the time. I'm definitely not a beginner, and want to start joining the 2 advanced rides...but i don't have lights, and night riding is not as much fun for me. has there been talk about rides during the day? like anywhere from 8am-4pm? let me know if you guys put something together, or are going by yourself at a diff. time.
    CallMeTheNewGuy bikes across the US, summer 2010:

crazyguyonabike.com/doc/caravanofcrazies

banned
    It"s Back!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The group's Saturday morning ride is flexible. Whether the ride is beginner or intermediate depends on who shows up. With the recent increase in activity, I wouldn't be suprised to see more rides added. In the meantime, check the website and forums. We'll definitely post new rides on the "group rides" page, and we'll try and post impromptu rides on our forums.

www.ashevillebomb.com
    Endeavor to persevere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How was the turnout for today's BOMB ride?

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008

Good job!

Todays ride was good, We had a couple of riders down with injuries. But still had three riders ride the full ride, and we were able to support one of our riders that brought out his 6yr old son and join them for a short while. Its always cool to see the future of our sport start out. Congrats to Nicholas on a great first club ride. He made it up the fireroad then down Wolf Branch. Way to go! Hey check out our new website at www.ashevillebomb.com
    God Speed, Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    glad it was a great ride

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by slhappy
    glad it was a great ride
    I like people who look at the dates of posts they comment on. I also like $5 footlongs at subway (I like the deal not the subs just to clarify)

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    I like people who look at the dates of posts they comment on. I also like $5 footlongs at subway (I like the deal not the subs just to clarify)
    Don't feed the trolls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Trolls?

mtbr member

Score!!

Quote Originally Posted by saviour machine
    One more post like that and I'll boycott your events

Can I buy your PMBAR entry? '-)
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

banned
    Mar 2004
    You say your rides are open to all but mission statement clearly goes against that.

BOMB (Believers On Mountain Bikes) Asheville is a Christ based mountain bike club. Our primary goal is to expand the Gospel of Jesus Christ, encourage fellowship, and promote a respect for God's Creation. By using the sport of mountain biking to mirror our Christian walk, we hope to draw people to our group through our actions, not ambush tactics. Rides are open to all regardless of religious belief. All that is required for membership is a desire to develop a closer relationship with Christ.
    WTF?! That is why people in here call you hypocrites.

I'll take my Taoist beliefs and leave now...

Enjoy the ride, bit**es!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    You say your rides are open to all but mission statement clearly goes against that.

WTF?! That is why people in here call you hypocrites.

I'll take my Taoist beliefs and leave now...

Enjoy the ride, bit**es!
    Nope. Poor reading comprehension is the reason why people call Christians hypocrites. There is a difference between a ride and membership.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    Nope. Poor reading comprehension is the reason why people call Christians hypocrites. There is a difference between a ride and membership.
    Do you really think that's why? Reading Comprehension?

banned
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    Come on! Do honestly believe that?! Give me a break! I was brought up as a Lutheran DW! Christianity, Islam and Judaism is all crap. All organized religions are crap. But that's only my opinion. You can continue to be a sheep if you want to....

Oh wait! Here it comes! All the "sheep" and "Shepard" quotes and comments from the bible....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Come on! Do honestly believe that?! Give me a break! I was brought up as a Lutheran DW! Christianity, Islam and Judaism is all crap. All organized religions are crap. But that's only my opinion. You can continue to be a sheep if you want to....

Oh wait! Here it comes! All the "sheep" and "Shepard" quotes and comments from the bible....
    such hate, you must have been molested as a young boy, .
    Last edited by disolverof; 02-21-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by disolverof
    such hate, you must have been molested as a young boy, and now ashamed that you liked it.
    Cast stones much?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    can i ride this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Christian mountain bike club in Asheville-satan.jpg  

banned
    such hate, you must have been molested as a young boy, and now ashamed that you liked it.
    Are you Floyd Landis?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are you Floyd Landis?
    why ? was i accusing someone of cheating?

banned
    Mar 2004
    such hate, you must have been molested as a young boy, .
    Not hate. Pure 100% apathy, sir. If Christianity is so "tolerant" why are they always trying to convert Non-Christians. I was raised in the Lutheran church and even went through confirmation. It's not for me. Way too many inconsistencies, but I'm sure you're going to refute that as well.

And no, *******, I wasn't molested as a child! You're just jealous cause your Catholic priest didn't fondle you when you were 6.

banned
    why ? was i accusing someone of cheating?
    No, he just made a fool of himself publicly too by accusing someone of being molested as a child.

H8 H8 H8
    Not hate. Pure 100% apathy, sir. If Christianity is so "tolerant" why are they always trying to convert Non-Christians. I was raised in the Lutheran church and even went through confirmation. It's not for me. Way too many inconsistencies, but I'm sure you're going to refute that as well.

And no, *******, I wasn't molested as a child! You're just jealous cause your Catholic priest didn't fondle you when you were 6.
    I ALWAYS make it a point to post on topics that I am 100% apathetic about.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    "And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns,exclusive mountain bike clubs, or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations"
    I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I was in fact, talking of the molestation of the mind, it is my view that religion has molested the mind of ppl. forcing on them ideas, but when someone eventually gets out of it they are bitter in the fact they got taken advantage of, and had the mind twisted from reality. but i do agree not to lump all ppl in to religious stereotypes. for the ppl in them are often deceived by what they are taught.

Big Mac
    I was in fact, talking of the molestation of the mind, it is my view that religion has molested the mind of ppl. forcing on them ideas, but when someone eventually gets out of it they are bitter in the fact they got taken advantage of, and had the mind twisted from reality. but i do agree not to lump all ppl in to religious stereotypes. for the ppl in them are often deceived by what they are taught.
    I don't believe you. You're a liar!

T76
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To everyone bashing Christians. I have read all this and wanted to explain one thing. A large number of you seem very informed about the bible. So surely you have heard of "The Great Commission" Matthew 28:18-20. It is very clear from Jesus to believers to go and make more disciples (believers). That is the main reason we do what we do and want to "convert" you as you put it. The other reason that is right up there with the first is this. I like to explain it like when I accepted Jesus into my life it was like I found a pot of gold and I am so dieing to share it with others.

He IS amazing. He DID change my life. Me and my wife were done, finished, basically hated each other. We decided we would go to Church and that was the last try. I can remember clearly I could not stand her. I didn't even want to sit beside her when we went. So 2nd Sunday we went I was overwhelmed with GOD. I accepted Jesus into my life. Next day she accepted Jesus into her life. NOTHING has been the same since. We are a happily married couple and I rely on Jesus every day. Do I fail? yes. Every day. Someone posted earlier the passage from Luke. We all fall short of the glory of God.

Hey I am no different than you guys. I just have a Savior that died for me and every single day I talk to Him.

At some points I get mad reading the slams you guys have done and at the end of the day I feel so sorry for you because I used to be there. Forget Religion. What would it hurt to ask God to reveal himself to you. If he is not real nothing will happen. Do it privately for the next 40 days and sincerely mean it. If nothing happens then you got your answer.

What you guys fail to notice or realize is I was just as big or bigger hellion than any of you on this board and I can promise you 90% of Christians are the same. We weren't born living some Holy life. We just happen to be SO unbelievably lucky to have someone love us enough to share Jesus in our lives and our minds were just open enough to listen and the rest is history.

I don't look down on any of you. I was where you are. The ONLY difference in you and I now is I have a Savior that died for me and died for my sins. That is it. Nothing more. We are the same bro. I will practically have a heart attack trying to beat your butt on the trail. I promise!! I might even have a beer with you at the restaurant after the ride. My bible doesn't say not to drink. My bible says don't be a drunkard and I'm not.

Some of the ABOMB group just rode recently. We had a new guy that was not a christian. When we prayed before the ride he didn't participate. We invited him to Church and he said I think not and laughed. Nobody said another word or chastised him. We finished with prayer and he said he would probably ride with us next week. We did not exclude him or make him feel weird or preach to him. You know why because I remember those days. If you did that to me I would have cussed you out. I became a believer because someone loved me to it. Not by guilting me to it.

Sorry so long. Been reading for an hour and a lot to say. haha.

Last question to the non-believers. And it is big.

What if you are wrong? You are willing to spend eternity in Hell just because you are too stubborn or too smart or whatever the reason is?

As I said earlier. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you if He is real. If He isn't you haven't lost anything now have you because you don't have to tell a sole you did it.

God Bless from a born again forgiven previous hellion worse than you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    what if "hell" was life as you know it?

Even Socrates said before he died.."Living...that means being sick a long time."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well said T76! I hope to join the Asheville crew this fall for some praise and Mt Biking.They are a great bunch of people and will welcome anyone to join in for the ride.

Happy Trails

drunken pirate
    Thanks for bumping this thread. This place was getting a little stale again.

Question: What does God have to say about the location of Butter Gap?

Quote Originally Posted by T76
    What if you are wrong? You are willing to spend eternity in Hell just because you are too stubborn or too smart or whatever the reason is?
    I'll take my chances and keep on enjoying the ride
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood

I heard that pocket bibles are required to pass gear check at PMBAR this year.

drunken pirate
    I heard that pocket bibles are required to pass gear check at PMBAR this year.
    You'd be surprised how small they can make them these days
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

T76
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood

I respect that and if you were one of my buddies that I hang out with I would pray for you and never say anything to you. I have many friends that are not believers. Someone earlier (and it might have been years earlier, LOL) said that Jesus was always around people like that and I totally agree. Jesus did not look down on people or stay away from sinners. He actually went to them where they were. That is what I believe Jesus has called all Christians to do. Nothing more, nothing less. Hope everyone had a great Easter. ABOMB is riding tomorrow at Bent Creek at 5:30 if anyone wants to come.

Keep it upright and ride on!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've ridden with the group many times. Best group I've ridden with and they actually have consistant rides. Not like alot of the local groups that rides once a month. ABOMB has grown to be one of the biggest riding groups in WNC.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeONE
    I've ridden with the group many times. Best group I've ridden with and they actually have consistant rides. Not like alot of the local groups that rides once a month. ABOMB has grown to be one of the biggest riding groups in WNC.
    Good point you've made. There is another group that focuses on trail work more than group rides and they wonder why they have not grown as much.
    This is my first post in this thread and I can't believe I kept my dog outta the fight for almost 3 years!

T76
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Riding tomorrow at 5:30 / leaving the parking lot no later than 6:00 if anyone wants to come at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek.

T76
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    BTW, I received this email today from the guy I was talking about at last weeks ride. We are just normal guys yo! We just love the Lord!

Some of the ABOMB group just rode recently. We had a new guy that was not a christian. When we prayed before the ride he didn't participate. We invited him to Church and he said I think not and laughed. Nobody said another word or chastised him. We finished with prayer and he said he would probably ride with us next week. We did not exclude him or make him feel weird or preach to him. You know why because I remember those days. If you did that to me I would have cussed you out. I became a believer because someone loved me to it. Not by guilting me to it.
    For what it's worth, I was the rider you mentioned and wanted to respond because I felt bad about the way things went down. Seems an explanation on my part is in order.

I happened to be in the parking lot the other day talking to some runner friends when Daniel recognized me and invited me to ride along. I didn't know what your group was or that you prayed before and after rides, etc. I have no problem with that and respect your beliefs. It was only slightly awkward on my part because it caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting it since I didn't show up specifically for an ABOMB ride.

Later, when Daniel invited me to church I did laugh a bit and responded a little awkwardly with "I think not". I was not laughing at the group, nor was I laughing at anyone's religious beliefs. When he invited me to church, I thought of a little joke among some my old riding buddies. We used to refer to our weekly Sunday rides as going to the "Church of the Broken Spoke" because one time we had a ridiculous number of mechanical problems all on the same day. The memory of that made me laugh. I said "I think not" at the thought of getting out of bed early in the AM. Among those same friends I was notorious for skipping more Sunday rides than I showed up for because I'm a night owl. (Note the time stamp on this email!)

Nobody in your group responded negatively, so I didn't explain.

However, I replayed it all in my head as I was riding home and when I realized how my response must have been interpreted I felt bad. So... I'm glad you brought it up in the forum thread. I apologize if there was any slight felt. It was unintended. I also thank you for not reacting negatively and still inviting me back to ride. That was very cool.

Just for the record, I already told him through email nobody thought he was rude and we would love to have him back. He is riding a century this weekend so not riding with us this week but might next week. So I guess the point is all Christians are not as some of you have assumed. I just can't stress it enough. We are just normal guys with an amazing Savior. That is it. We aren't better than anyone!

banned
    Riding tomorrow at 5:30 / leaving the parking lot no later than 6:00 if anyone wants to come at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek.
    You might want to say what kind/color vehicle you'll be in or what kind of bike you are riding. Its a big parking lot, we could pray that we would find you but God might not answer by 6pm

T76
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    We will be at a burnt orange F250 unless something happens and I am not there. In that case it will be just a group of guys on bike looking like they are waiting on people. lol

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Good point you've made. There is another group that focuses on trail work more than group rides and they wonder why they have not grown as much.
    This is my first post in this thread and I can't believe I kept my dog outta the fight for almost 3 years!
    Hammer is an aethist? Who knew?

Now, go derail Patrick's new sunday ride thread.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    You might want to say what kind/color vehicle you'll be in or what kind of bike you are riding. Its a big parking lot, we could pray that we would find you but God might not answer by 6pm
    Good Point Moto. Becuase it is so hard to find a group by just asking around!

GADZOOKS! what if no one talks to me when I arrive and start talking to people about a group ride? I sure hope he posts the color of his car, a picture of it, the plate number, the year, and his mothers maiden name just to be sure.

Also I think you spelled god wrong. Yours should be spelled with a lower case g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I 2nd everything you have posted T76. Every guy in the group feels the same way and would accept anyone that wants to ride with us. I hope the guy "K" that came with Daniel last week comes back soon. He was a good guy and a great rider. Looking forward to a Fast ride tomorrow night! See everyone there.

Just ride!
    Hello Everyone!

ABOMB has been my main riding group since moving to Asheville. In fact, I found about the group reading this very thread. ABOMB is composed of folks that consistently ride and have fun. There is no formal membership. There are not any rules to ride with or in the group. The group rides 2-3 times each week barring nasty weather. We ride together in the snow, sun, and rain. We laugh and take bad pictures walking through deep water crossings at Dupont. We have ridden in the snow and ice, wondering aloud why in the world are we out here freezing to death??? We get lost in Pisgah. Sometimes, we ride too fast for our talent, or too slow for our ability. We eat too much food at Papas and Beer. There are fathers, mothers, and sons that ride together. Some of us are divorced, others single, and most married. We work, live, breath, and lust after bike parts (the last one me especially). Straight people?-Yes Gay people--Yes. Skinny, fat, short, tall, hairy, bald--Yup. Smack runners---Yup. Preachy?? Never.

Bottom line?? People who ride in, with, and around ABOMB are bikers (even a couple of roadies). We even do trail maintenance on occasion! We are just like you, but different just like you. All we wanna do is ride, and seek a relationship with God.

This thread has been funny, passionate, and a great way to talk about the ABOMB group, as well as a forum to voice what we don't like about Christians, Jesus, religion, people, and all sorts of topics. Bottom line.......we want all of you to ride with us in ABOMB because the group is always better when more folks join in the fun-regardless of their beliefs!

We even like sports! My Spurs look done

I am in the silver Honda Element that looks like a toaster. Anytime you see me on the parking lot, come on over! I have probably spoken or ridden with everyone in this thread, usually ogling over bike parts, talking about bikes, getting dropped by the fast guys, and being generally stoked about pedaling and getting dirty in the woods.

I am not a scripture quoter, so how about Salsa 1:1

Ride and Smile!

Daniel

Big Mac
    This whole thing reeks of conspiracy. "The revolution will not be televised." Will it?

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Hi everyone! I must say I was very surprised when Some of the A-BOMB members asked me if I had seen this thread lately. I must admit I haven't been monitoring MTBR as closely as I use to. When I posted this thread 2 1/2 years ago I certainly did not expect to have this kind of a response all I was doing was announcing a new ride in the area. I felt at the time that putting the tag "Christian" on it was only fair as we do pray before and after rides and that we do have bible studies and gatherings where Christian topics are discussed. I didn't wish to blindside anyone. Though it may not be reflected by some of the responses on this thread I am glad to say A-BOMB has been very well received in the WNC mountain biking community. And I have been encouraged by many we have met on the trails. We have a regular weekly Beginners/Intermediate ride that we have maintained for 2 years now and we have successfully introduced many new people to the great sport of mountain biking. We have joined SORBA on several trail projects and have helped many riders with trail repairs, I have handed out more tubes than I can count and I am proud of everyone that has ridden with A-BOMB over the last 2 years you all have helped to make mountain biking a much better sport and WNC an awesome place to do it, and I am looking forward to riding with more of you in the years to come.

God Speed, Mark

spec4life???..smh...
    glad to hear things are going well for you and the club..keep up the good work..

mtbr member
    Dang. I guess I'm not invited.

I did enjoy reading this thread, though.

Whatever you want to do is fine with me - just keep it out of my face and the government and we can all get along fine.

/Raised Catholic, which cured me fully of any illusions about religion. Actually, I gave up religion for lent about 25 years ago - I always follow through on my promises!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Also, I'm not circumcised. I don't know why I felt the need to mention that, but there you are.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Ride- Beer-ect as a matter of fact you are invited...We pray at the beginning and end but other than that its just like every other ride, We ride we talk trash and we encourage each other. Now about the Circumcised thing, I'm no expert but if your really concerned about it...

God Speeds, Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What days are the rides and times,and was wondering duration/difficulty between beginer and advanced is,dont want to do anything to easy or to hard i still new.

BOMB Asheville N.C.
    Jan 2008
    Most rides last between 2 to 3 hrs and cover between 10 to 15 miles. Beginner level rides are gauged to the newest rider in the group and are goaled towards bringing each rider up to the next level. Advanced rides are for the rider that already has a firm knowledge of riding skills and a decent fitness level. Intermediate rides are for those that have a basic knowledge of riding skills but aren't hammers, (basicly your average rider) All rides are no drop rides, however beginner rides allow more time for recovery and fellowship. Helmets are required for all rides. Rides are most of the time followed by fellowship at PaPa's and Beer, And yes some people do choose to partake of the later. Ride times are as followed

Monday Night Advanced Ride 5:30pm Rice Pinnacle Trail Head Bent Creek

Thursday Night Intermediate Ride 5:30pm Rice Pinnacle Trail Head

Saturday Beginner/Intermediate Ride 10am you guessed it Rice Pinnacle

Hope to ride with you all soon.

God Speed, Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0