New Asheville guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

New Asheville guy

I've just joined the forum and would like to say Hello.

I ride around the Asheville NC area.

I grew up racing BMX then we moved to Asheville and I started mountain biking back in 90' when you would hardly see anyone on the trails. I had a Trek 990 then switched to a Cannondale M700, which I still have. I moved to the beach after graduating from App State. While at the beach I stopped riding and have recently started back. I'm trying to get up to speed but it's slow going between work and family duties. I have a 2017 Trek Remedy 8 with some upgrades and am loving it, never had such a plush bike.

After taking 15 years off, I'm pretty slow climbing, surprising to me I still have decent technical skills however they are rusty. The rust is brushing off but the climbing stamina is somewhat frustrating. Regardless I am happy to be back on the trails. I have been riding mostly alone, I am uncomfortable holding people up. Maybe over some time my conditioning will increase and I will meet some people from here and we can meet on the trails. I'm a casual guy not looking to break any records just have fun riding and get good exercise.

It sounds like there is a wide variety of experience on this site, I look forward to being here. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The fitter you are the more enjoyable it is! Stay with it until you get a good base of fitness. I know Pisgah Area SORBA and some of the bike shops do no-drop group rides (Billy Goat Bike?). Some are geared towards beginners and some towards intermediate. You would fit right in with those groups and there is no judgment. Might help keep you motivated.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Yeah I plan to check out those group rides. I live right by Billy Goat. I have been riding Bent Creek on my way home from work it very convenient for me, 10 mins from the house. I'm not too bad as far as shape goes and I tone up fast. I just went out there thinking I was going to ride like I did when I was 25! So far I only have 9 rides on this new bike. I'm wanting to ride everyday I'm so happy to be doing it again.