New to Asheville area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New to Asheville area

Hey guys, I am in Asheville currently... waiting to close on my new house in Fletcher hopefully by the 15th of this month and I am looking for info on everything MTB in the area

Are thee any good FB groups to check out? What LBS do you recommend? I currently ride a SC Bronson.. looking forward to getting out there checking out all the trails.. just trying to do as much research as possible before my bike arrives

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ross86 View Post
    Hey guys, I am in Asheville currently... waiting to close on my new house in Fletcher hopefully by the 15th of this month and I am looking for info on everything MTB in the area

Are thee any good FB groups to check out? What LBS do you recommend? I currently ride a SC Bronson.. looking forward to getting out there checking out all the trails.. just trying to do as much research as possible before my bike arrives
    What is your skill level/preferred riding type and fitness? There is a wide range of trail through Pisgah and the bent Creek areas anywhere from rather easy to insanely difficult

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Facebook groups - hit up First Braptist Dirt Church and Pisgah Rangers. Our dirt church rides have been super spotty through this ridiculous winter season but when weather is good we are out with 5-20+ peeps. Week in week out, Sundays meet at 0800 (early service) and 0930 (main service) at the Trace Ridge parking lot. We do 1, 2, or sometimes 3 laps in the North Mills area. Killer time, plenty of ride options, no-drop, tons of skill levels, and if you hit a good week, fire, stick meat, beer, and/or smores. Come on out!

Personally for shops I am a Sycamore guy. Don't ride Spesh but even still those guys have always been stand up and treated me right. You'll hear fiddy-leven opinions on this though. Check out several shops and see where you get the good vibes.

Welcome to the area Ross.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Welcome to the 'hood!

Fletcher is a great spot, you're centrally located between some of the best riding in WNC for sure. My highlights, descending from North to South:

To the North is Bent Creek, probably some of the easiest trails in the AVL area, though some of the "intro" rides have a good amount of roots and climbing steep enough to knock the wind out of you (a common theme in these parts). This is a favorite spot of most folks to hit after work coming from Asheville and the parking lots can be absolutely mobbed on nice days. Check out Green's Lick and Ingles Field gap, they're must rides.

North Mills will be nice and close to you and has some of my favorite riding. A loop incorporating Spencer and Fletcher = winner.

South Mills has some good, more backcountry feel riding. Squirrel is a favorite.

Pisgah "proper", around the Hub/Pisgah Forest town entrance has endless goodies, too much to really get in to, but Bennett and Black Mountain are sweet.

DuPont State Recreational Forest is sort of similar to Bent Creek, in that it's mostly fairly moderate terrain, but it has some somewhat unique to the area/signature trails, namely Big Rock, Cedar Rock, Ridgeline, etc.

That's just scratching the surface honestly, get settled and start riding!

As far as LBS go, there's quite a few to choose from and it's hard to go wrong, check a few out and see what you think. Personally I really like Motion Makers in South Asheville, the staff there have gone well out of their way to find replacement propriety parts for bikes they don't sell, and just generally been exceptionally helpful.

Further south, Sycamore cycles have always been friendly and helpful when I've stopped by and needed something in a pinch, they also have a banging coffee shop for pre/post ride coffee/treats. They're opposite from the Hub, who unfortunately I've had nothing but bad experiences with, but they're a Santa Cruz dealer which may be of interest to you.

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Carolina Fatz is right out side of bent creek. They're also a santa Cruz dealer

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Facebook groups - hit up First Braptist Dirt Church and Pisgah Rangers. Our dirt church rides have been super spotty through this ridiculous winter season but when weather is good we are out with 5-20+ peeps. Week in week out, Sundays meet at 0800 (early service) and 0930 (main service) at the Trace Ridge parking lot. We do 1, 2, or sometimes 3 laps in the North Mills area. Killer time, plenty of ride options, no-drop, tons of skill levels, and if you hit a good week, fire, stick meat, beer, and/or smores. Come on out!

Personally for shops I am a Sycamore guy. Don't ride Spesh but even still those guys have always been stand up and treated me right. You'll hear fiddy-leven opinions on this though. Check out several shops and see where you get the good vibes.

thanks for the FB group tips. I had searched on my own and hadn't found anything there, which I thought odd.

One thing I find extra strange is that I cannot for the life of me find the First Braptist Dirt Church group. FB REALLY thinks I want baptist church groups, but even if I force the issue, the closest I get is the "Braptist Church" group which is a moto group on the Isle of Man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    One thing I find extra strange is that I cannot for the life of me find the First Braptist Dirt Church group. FB REALLY thinks I want baptist church groups, but even if I force the issue, the closest I get is the "Braptist Church" group which is a moto group on the Isle of Man.
    Same! Secret group perhaps? Sounds like something I need to know more about...

mtbr member
    One thing I find extra strange is that I cannot for the life of me find the First Braptist Dirt Church group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Same! Secret group perhaps? Sounds like something I need to know more about...

Sounds like yall need to put on your Sunday best and get out to the Mills to be baptized...
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Sounds like yall need to put on your Sunday best and get out to the Mills to be baptized...
    Apparently. Don't wanna get dropped like a bad habit, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Motion Makers for the win. Ask for my boys Tom and Tim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Apparently. Don't wanna get dropped like a bad habit, though.

Bahhhh, sorry guys yes it is private. Didn't think about that. Send me a PM with your name and I'll shoot you an invite.

No drop rides....big ranges of skills and fitnizz. This week looking like a no go based on weather, we'll see as it gets closer!

since 4/10/2009
    Bahhhh, sorry guys yes it is private. Didn't think about that. Send me a PM with your name and I'll shoot you an invite.

No drop rides....big ranges of skills and fitnizz. This week looking like a no go based on weather, we'll see as it gets closer!
    done. yeah, I learned my lesson on Pisgah "no drop" rides already - y'all are animals. I have some work to do before I can hang with the slow locals.

I'll probably wait to come out until I know there will be a large group with as wide a range of fitness levels as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    done. yeah, I learned my lesson on Pisgah "no drop" rides already - y'all are animals. I have some work to do before I can hang with the slow locals.

I'll probably wait to come out until I know there will be a large group with as wide a range of fitness levels as possible.
    99% of the people up here on group rides do not care in the least bit, hell a few take the downtime to drink a beer. It's a bit trickier this time of year when it's cold, so the downtimes may be shorter, but as it warms up, you'll truly find that people don't care. They don't care now, but they REALLY don't care then.

If they want to ride with people their own skill/pace, then they will arrange a ride together. They know what they are getting into on these group rides and give zero shits about waiting.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the fastest people I know up here care the least. It's a stark contrast to where I lived before, where everyone had a stick up their ass on group rides and it was only a "group" in the sense that you saw them at the start and at the end unless you were a dirt roadie hero.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    99% of the people up here on group rides do not care in the least bit, hell a few take the downtime to drink a beer. It's a bit trickier this time of year when it's cold, so the downtimes may be shorter, but as it warms up, you'll truly find that people don't care. They don't care now, but they REALLY don't care then.

If they want to ride with people their own skill/pace, then they will arrange a ride together. They know what they are getting into on these group rides and give zero shits about waiting.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the fastest people I know up here care the least. It's a stark contrast to where I lived before, where everyone had a stick up their ass on group rides and it was only a "group" in the sense that you saw them at the start and at the end unless you were a dirt roadie hero.
    That's good to hear. I am still trying to figure out the local scene.

mtbr member
    This place can be intimidating but more so due to the terrain... The MTB community here is super supportive so dont be shy.

There are the usual folks who take their riding as serious as life and death but they dont go on group rides. Or they have a core group they only ride with who are all similar in riding style...

I would tell pretty much anyone riding up here looking for a group to shred with to just go and join a group ride and have fun. If you're worried bring beers and you'll make instant friends haha...

Dont sweat your fitness or descending skill... Unless your name is Gwin, Schurter, or Sagan there is someone faster than you up and down so just have fun and raise as much hell as you want too... As long as you're riding you're winning. If you're a rider you'll naturally get better. Pisgah does that to a person whether you want it to or not

I am always looking to meet and ride with new folks... whether thats a 40 mile day or a Bent Creek 5 mile ride that takes 2 -3 hours. Its all good as long as you're in the forest having a good time.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    What is your skill level/preferred riding type and fitness? There is a wide range of trail through Pisgah and the bent Creek areas anywhere from rather easy to insanely difficult

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Skill level is pretty good.. I raced BMX and grew up on a bike and my fitness is good as well. I am really looking for fast/flowy trails and jumps are a nice plus haha. I am willing to climb big for a big reward...

Most of my riding has been in South FL -- yes probably laughable to most, but the trails are decent for we had to work with. If you haven't check out some YouTube videos on Markham Park, Virginia Key, Santos (few hour trip for me) and the Grapefruit Trails (for the jumps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshOvoMg4Ug).

I also lived in PA (Center Valley/Bethlehem area) for about 2 years and got in a lot of riding there -- even Blue Mountain on my Bronson

Dupoint seems like a good place to check from the YouTube videos I've seen so far..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Awesome -- I am going to look for the FB groups now to follow. I'll also start scouting some videos of North Mills. If you guys know of any videos on YouTube that you think I should check out to get a good feel for the trails please share.. it's fun to get an idea of what the trails will be like and my bike isn't here yet lol.

Thanks for the welcome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What are a lot of you guys riding? AM or DH setup? I currently have a Bronson but wouldn't mind adding another bike to the stable

mtbr member
    You'll see almost every bike category at most trailhead here. I have a yeti sb6 which is too much for most of what I ride here and just picked up a nimble9 for riding at bent creek.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What are a lot of you guys riding? AM or DH setup? I currently have a Bronson but wouldn't mind adding another bike to the stable
    You are on the right bike for the forest. Make sure to check out Bailey Mtn and Beech Mtn bike parks as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    You are on the right bike for the forest. Make sure to check out Bailey Mtn and Beech Mtn bike parks as well.
    The Bronson will hold up @ Bailey? I have to research Beech Mountain -- I've seen some videos and follow Bailey on social media. It looks awesome, but I've seen mostly people on DH bikes there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

As Lithified said, The First Braptists have gotten a little random with all this winter weather. I am sure that we will be back to the regular 8:00am & 9:30am laps once this freeze thaw settles down. I will try to remember to post back on this thread once we get back to the routine. Or PM me if anybody wants to meet up to shred.

Don't hesitate to show up for the 9:30 lap. This is a very social, no drop group. We often climb up 5000 to Spencer, Descend Spencer/Fletcher or Trace Ridge.

I currently have a Bronson but wouldn't mind adding another bike to the stable
    Bronson should work just fine for the area. A back up bike is always convenient, especially with the increased riding that you will find yourself doing. Hardtails are great, low maintenance for these winter months!

Welcome to WNC! I grew up in Florida as well (Daytona Beach). I couldn’t be happier with mountain life!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    You'll see almost every bike category at most trailhead here. I have a yeti sb6 which is too much for most of what I ride here and just picked up a nimble9 for riding at bent creek.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The SB6 was on my radar for a long time The Nimble 9 is a HT? I need to catch up on MTBs.. this past year I was in South FL I didn't ride too much, as it was too boring and I had just started my own business.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I feel like Beech is pretty tame especially with the work they've done in the last 2 years.

I remember when we moved up from FL about 2-3 years ago and went there as our first bike park after riding only a few months, we were a bit out of our element but not horribly. That was before they reworked a lot of the trails, they're even better now and more approachable.

I feel like even the technical blue isn't that bad compared to some of the intermediate stuff in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Yeah it's a hardtail. I bought it used. It's setup with a 140mm Pike. I like the low maintenance aspect for the winter like others have said.

mtbr member
    How to know when trail riding conditions are bad in WNC: When this many people are posting on mtbr, especially in a New to Asheville thread.

mtbr member
    Even the stuff that's usually ok during the freeze/thaw cycles are bad.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    How to know when trail riding conditions are bad in WNC: When this many people are posting on mtbr, especially in a New to Asheville thread.
    Bwahahaha

Yeah, been itching to ride lately. Managed to get in a quick gravel/trail ride at Bent Creek last time it warmed up and that felt really nice.

Later this week, I think I'll probably be tearing into my wife's Subie to install a trailer brake controller and 7 pin rv hookup for safer towing of our teardrop. I meant to get one installed when we got the camper a year ago, but didn't realize how difficult it would be to find an installer. At this point, I'm going DIY on the project because I'm tired of being lectured "if you need trailer brakes, you shouldn't be towing with that vehicle" even though the car's manual actually mentions using trailer brakes for safety. I pulled that trailer 3600mi last year to Sedona without the brakes hooked up because none of the installers I found in Indy would do the work.

Last edited by Harold; 02-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't think it's that bad, I've been riding the normal stuff at the entrance of Pisgah for the last few weeks and except for the top part of grassy, it hasn't been that bad. The exception is Lower Black, it looks like a mess and I haven't been up there since the first big thaw.

Fish Hatchery stuff is also fine. I'd go as far as to say I'm surprised at how well the lower part of butter is, it's drier than it was this time last year. The rest, like Cat Gap, Long Branch, Cove, and Daniels have all been mostly fine. Trace has been good, also.

Judging by conversations I've had with others, I'd probably stay clear of the horse stables area stuff though, I hear it's pretty bad.

I don't ever ride Bent Creek, but everyone I know that has lately regretted it. Most of DuPont seems alright or has the few times I've ridden there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Haha. So true!! But hey, we're all so stoked on spring. BRING. IT. ON.

mtbr member
    @Adodero

That was the goal based on customer feedback. People wanted flow trails instead of race courses so that's what we built.

mtbr member
    The Bronson will hold up @ Bailey? I have to research Beech Mountain -- I've seen some videos and follow Bailey on social media. It looks awesome, but I've seen mostly people on DH bikes there?
    Bailey is pretty steep so having a slacker HA and lower BB is advantageous. The longer wheelbase helps as well. There are plenty of people that ride there on trail bikes. Bailey rents DH bikes so if you want to save some wear on your trail bike it's worth it. Bailey has a cool local vibe and the Millers are great people. You will definitely be fine on the Bronson at Beech. Make sure to hit Rocky Knob in Boone and make it a two day trip up Watauga county. Make sure to reserve lift tickets at Bailey in advance. Bailey is year round on weekends and Beech is Thursday through Sunday from Memorial day to Labor day.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Welcome to the area Ross. As said, the riding here is plentiful and fantastic, except with the recent weather.

I rode a SC Tallboy all over Pisgah this past summer but really put the hurt on it. I now ride a Guerrilla Gravity Smash and it kills here. The SC is good for most of Dupont though.

Although I have been coming here to ride for 15 years, I moved here less than a year ago from IL and am always down with meeting fellow riders, hitting some trail and grabbing a beer.