Need Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need Help

Jan 2004

Need Help

I have one of the Pisgah maps but I havn't been on many of the trails out that way so I was wondering if someone could give me the names of the trails and where i should park to start for about a 7-11 mile ride that has a good DH. Thanks a lot! TJ

mtbr member
    Try this. Park at the Ranger STation. Ride right on 276 to White Pines Road(gravel rd to your right), after 1.8 miles turn left onto Clawhammer at the Horse STables. Climb until you see a gravel road to your right (Maxwell Cove), climb until the road dead ends. Look into the trees on your right for Black Mountain. Climb/push for just a little longer, then ride the GREAT downhill. At junction w/ thrift cove, decide if you are tired. That's probably about 7 miles. If tired turn right, go downhill to work station, Ranger Station is right on 276 for 100 yards.

If not tired, go left on thrift cove, it's just a tiny bit more climbing, then a super-fun double track downhill w/ jumps. Watch for hikers, it's not a pretty trail but there are always people on it, go figure. You'll come to a clearing, look carefully for a left turn onto Sycamore Cove. If you are tired now, don't take the left, go straight back to the workstation. That's probably 11 miles.

But, if you can stand a little more, and want one of the best downhills in Pisgah, turn onto Sycamore Cove and follow that loop (don't take the right onto the lower part of the loop) until you come out onto 276 slightly below Davidson river. A right takes you back to the parking lot in exactly 14 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Try this. Park at the Ranger STation. Ride right on 276 to White Pines Road(gravel rd to your right), after 1.8 miles turn left onto Clawhammer at the Horse STables.

If not tired, go left on thrift cove, it's just a tiny bit more climbing, then a super-fun double track downhill w/ jumps. Watch for hikers, it's not a pretty trail but there are always people on it, go figure.
    The horse stables and Clawhammer road are actually on your other left. Turn right off of White Pines Rd and start up Clawhammer behind the stables. The rest of the directions are good. I just took a Pisgah newbie for a warmup ride after we arrived Thursday afternoon on this exact ride. We went straight down Black Mtn. after the junction with Thrift Cove (actually a right turn at a four way intersection). I've only ridden up Thrift Cove, but can't imagine the jumps being as good as the water bars going down Black Mtn. Major air if that's what you're into. Ten miles almost on the nose.

mtbr member
    Crap. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how many times I hear the "your other left" comment. I have a perfectly good sense of direction, I just can't seem to verbalize/comprehend the left/right thing. When I was a kid my Mom had to teach me left was the bass hand and right was the treble hand. I don't play the piano much anymore, so I'm dangerous w/ directions. :-)

Thanks for the correction, I wouldn't want to send anyone bushwhacking into the river.

mtbr member
    Hey....I think I've got it. You turn to your treble hand out of the ranger station, treble hand at the stables, treble hand at Maxwell Cove.....

Sorry, Litespeedchick, the devil made me do it.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    That is my favorite ride in pisgah (that I've ridden so far).
    How long does it take you to ride if you go straight down to the ranger station?
    I've done it in just under an hour, but still can't make it up that last black mtn. climb!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Jan 2004

Thanks so much!

Thanks a lot lifespeedchick and the others... I dont' know what i'd do w/o help from everyone that knows these trails. Are all of these pretty well marked trails that i turn on? Also is there anymore like that you guys would recommend? Thanks for all the help i sure do need it!

Heads up Flyboy!!

Trail markings

By far the Pisgah Ranger District( which is commonly referred to as Pisgah) is one of the best marked trail systems in WNC. Try riding around upper Wilson Creek area near Boone and you'll find out if you really have good navigational skills! This doesn't mean that you can't get lost in Pisgah though. At most trailheads there will be a 3 ft tall 3 inch wide sign that says trail name, designation(open to bikes, horses, and trail difficulty( easy, moderate, difficult, etc), blaze color(red, blue, yellow, etc but most trail intersections do not have these signs although there are a few exceptions. This is where you have to pay attention to Blazes or refer back to your map. For example, while on the Black Mtn trail ride others have told you about when climbing up Maxwell Cove you will come to the intersection of Black Mountain. There are no signs and a few trails and roads breaking off in several directions at a small clearing. The trail to the hard left is Black Mtn climbing to the Summit and is Blazed with a white and Blue Blaze. The old logging roads to the soft left and soft right are deadends. The trail to the hard right is Black Mtn blazed with a white and blue blaze( paint marks on the trees). This is where you would take a right to begin a short hard climb to begin a thrilling descent. There are a few mistakes on the Pisgah Map but for the most part its right. It shows most trail breaks properly left is left right is right. Use common sense and always carry your map and compass on you and know how to use them. Get to know your basic directions N, S, W, E and which direction your going.

Another good short loop for you to consider is Daniel Ridge which for the 5 miles of riding ends in a spectacular downhill on a tight rocky trail that has drops off the side to the creek below that are in some places over 60 ft. Keep your eyes on the trail on this one.
    Drive up 276 and take a left on FS 475 , pass the Fish Hatchery on your left as the road turns to dirt. Follow this road to the second pull off on the right. Ride around the gate at the back of the parking area over a bridge and follow the gravel road to the right pass the 1st entrance to Daniel Ridge on the left. Ride up to the Base of Daniel Ridge Falls and then turn around and take a right in about 50 yds. up a set of log stairs to start the Daniel Ridge Loop. This Loop has all red Blazes. Although this loop has some very steep climbing , its a blast and a has a wild rocky tight downhill at the end that makes it all worth it. enjoy!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    I've never timed it, since we come up from Greenville, we always go for a little longer ride.

Nope, I can't climb that either. We have an expert trials rider in our group and he generally doesn't ride it either, although I suppose he could if you paid him. It's just too steep for too long. I love the trail maintenance they did on the downhill. Usually I'm nothing but *****ing about trail re-routes 'cause they usually sanitize, but that new route is a blast.

Oh...here's another route for Rage Fan: Park at the fish Hatchery. Ride up 475B(gravel road, left out of FH, then bear right) , turn left on 225, go sorta straight onto singletrack Caney Bottom(at one point you come out on a gravel double track, turn left, then left again in a hundred yards to stay on the trail), downhill all the way to the picnic area. (watch for hikers...it's heavily traveled near the picnic grounds in summer). Then right on gravel, down to 475A, quick left, then turn right before you start climbing onto ?? (we call it the whoop-de-dooh trail) which pops you back out on 475A just before it returns you to the parking lot. I think that's 10-12 miles.

Bill, could you please check those left/rights? :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0