NC- Trail closures during hunting season- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

NC- Trail closures during hunting season

Is anyone aware of any trail that close to recreational use during hunting season in NC?

If so, how is that closure managed (signage, barriers etc.)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think New Light in the RTP area does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, New Lights Trail are on land that is managed by NC Wildlife Commission and is closed to bikers during hunting season, except for Sundays during hunting season. I am not sure how the closure is managed, maybe someone on trianglemtb. Com can answer that. I wonder if the trails on the Green River Games Lands will be managed in the same manner.

Big Mac
    In WNC, I know of none that close for hunting season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    Yeah, New Lights Trail are on land that is managed by NC Wildlife Commission and is closed to bikers during hunting season, except for Sundays during hunting season. I am not sure how the closure is managed, maybe someone on trianglemtb. Com can answer that. I wonder if the trails on the Green River Games Lands will be managed in the same manner.
    Yup, New Light is on WRC land. From Sept 1 to May 15th the trails are only open to bikes on Sundays. There is some signage indicating closure, no barriers.

TORC, the local mtb club, has an MOU with NCWRC. However, there is a general understanding among local riders that NCWRC, an organization that is essentially immune to political pressure, could decide at any moment to close these trails to bikes. As such, folks are pretty respectful of the closure. NL is probably the rockiest, steepest mtb-legal trail in the Triangle area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Signage in the kiosk or some other location? You would not happen to have photos of that signage would you?

Quote Originally Posted by durtydurham View Post
    Yup, New Light is on WRC land. From Sept 1 to May 15th the trails are only open to bikes on Sundays. There is some signage indicating closure, no barriers.

TORC, the local mtb club, has an MOU with NCWRC. However, there is a general understanding among local riders that NCWRC, an organization that is essentially immune to political pressure, could decide at any moment to close these trails to bikes. As such, folks are pretty respectful of the closure. NL is probably the rockiest, steepest mtb-legal trail in the Triangle area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I know FATS in SC closes during hunting season, anyone know how that closure works?
    Signs on Kiosks, others signs, barriers etc.

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    I'm not sure you could call the Old Toll Road in Montreat/Old Fort a trail, but it closes from October to January.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by futuristxen View Post
    I'm not sure you could call the Old Toll Road in Montreat/Old Fort a trail, but it closes from October to January.
    That is due to bear hunt season and is the section running across private land.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Signage in the kiosk or some other location? You would not happen to have photos of that signage would you?
    Signage is at the trailhead/parking area. Sorry, I don't have pictures..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens to New Light if the legislature votes out the ban on Sunday hunting. Presumably the trails would then be closed all year except for a few months in the summer.

Some want to shoot down NC Sunday hunting ban :: WRAL.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens to New Light if the legislature votes out the ban on Sunday hunting. Presumably the trails would then be closed all year except for a few months in the summer.

Some want to shoot down NC Sunday hunting ban :: WRAL.com
    I've been following this as well. Initially they won't pass Sunday hunting for public lands, so I think we have several years until this could be a reality.

As a hunter and an MTB'er, I am excited for Sunday hunting possibilities, but not at New Light I'll keep watching this and we'll rally the troops if/when the time comes. I think WRC appreciates us at New Light and lately we've had a pretty good relationship with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscheip View Post

As a hunter and an MTB'er, I am excited for Sunday hunting possibilities, but not at New Light
    I'm not a hunter but have often wondered if I could buy a hunting license and then have free reign to ride New Light 365 days/year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I'm not a hunter but have often wondered if I could buy a hunting license and then have free reign to ride New Light 365 days/year.
    Maaaaayyyybeeee if you rode with a rifle strapped to your back and claimed you were "scouting." Who makes camo riding gear?

I have ripped through the Old Creedmoor gamelands with a rifle on my back, and I was actually going to retrieve a deer. So it was "legit" I think? Ha.

Honestly I wish we could pay for a use-permit or something and have rights. As it stands, they don't want us paying for anything because the minute we do, we're entitled to use the land. Right now it's entirely in their court. I get that....but we'll see how things go in the coming years. Trail is running really good right now and we've got a good core crew that works on it.