NC Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: NC Question

mtbr member

NC Question

I am starting to look at colleges more seriously. I have been really interested in Lees-McRae in North Carolina.

Anybody on this forum live around that area? Whats the riding like? Climate compared to Northeast PA? Anyone have any pictures of riding. I appreciate any answers.

I will probably be down there this summer to check it out but I am still really curious.
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Lees-McRae is near Boone, where I live. If you like bike parks or epic technical backcountry mtb'ing, you'll do fine, but there's not much in-between.

This is the first place I've lived in 15 years that I can't say has year-round riding. Some ski, some snowboard, some get fat, and some suffer and ride. I'm picking up some xc skis for next winter.

From my college racing days (1996) I remember LM being a force on the college MTB scene. I think they were one of the first to offer full ride scholarships for mtb'ers.

mtbr member
    I disagree with you jamatt, we have year round riding for sure. The riding here is absolutely amazing. What brings you to Lees McRae crash? Out of state tuition there is not cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt
    This is the first place I've lived in 15 years that I can't say has year-round riding. Some ski, some snowboard, some get fat, and some suffer and ride. I'm picking up some xc skis for next winter.

Every place has year round riding. Just depends how much you want to do it. We got people doing 1000+ Miles of training in January here in IL.....in -20f temps.......

Western NC is on my Short list of places i'm moving to. I've spent a few weeks there and it blows my mind. The Single track is real rugged, i love it because i love exploring and don't mind getting lost for 12 hours. there is some amazing wilderness out there. I love finding Rattlesnakes and hanging out with them, and the off bike waterfall adventures, the long DHs, and getting lost after dark for 4 hours with no lights....................I honestly really love everything about Western NC. Paradise.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Every place has year round riding. Just depends how much you want to do it. We got people doing 1000+ Miles of training in January here in IL.....in -20f temps.......

Western NC is on my Short list of places i'm moving to. I've spent a few weeks there and it blows my mind. The Single track is real rugged, i love it because i love exploring and don't mind getting lost for 12 hours. there is some amazing wilderness out there. I love finding Rattlesnakes and hanging out with them, and the off bike waterfall adventures, the long DHs, and getting lost after dark for 4 hours with no lights....................I honestly really love everything about Western NC. Paradise.
    Brian Conant doesn't count. He's just insane.

Boone is quite a bit higher than where most folks end up here -- in the Asheville area. So although we get snowstorms that stop us from riding "down here" in Pisgah, I can imagine Boone being a bit tougher to get through the winter. That said, yeah -- there's year-round riding to be had.

Don't forget to take a look at Warren Wilson, UNC-Asheville and Brevard College as well. Or, for that matter, Clemson or USC -- Clemson is about an hour to Pisgah; USC is right around 2-1/2. Clemson even has its own trails ...

spec4life???..smh...
    Lees Mcrae is one of the top two or three best cycling schools in the nation if not the best. They have their own trails as well including a downhill and dual slolem course. Heck you can even get a minor in cycling there now. The area is great for not only epic road biking but skiing as well. I live about an hour down the mountain from there but hope to move there one day.

Oh btw there is two fairly new trail systems being built in the area that gets some of that in between stuff..

Members who have read this thread: 0