NC Proposal to Allow Hunting on Sunday- Mtbr.com

Dec 2007

NC Proposal to Allow Hunting on Sunday

NC Senate representative Julia Boseman from New Hanover County has introduced a bill (with no co-sponsors) to repeal the ban on hunting on Sunday in North Carolina. The bill is Senate Bill 7.

If you enjoy the safety of a Sunday ride during hunting season, please e-mail or call your NC Senate representative (and representative Boseman) and let them know how you feel. You can find contact information at http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/membe...Chamber=Senate

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for posting this. I'm in and will spread the word locally.

mtbr member
    That's BS. They already get several months out of the year to hunt. Now they want Sundays too!?! It's not like public land is mulit-use or anything or that MTBers should respect other groups. I hope you're picking up the sarcasm because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

If you're a cyclist and truly support rejecting this because you want a "safe" Sunday ride during the few months hunting season is in then I hope the hikers take away access to your favorite mtb trails because they don't feel safe walking with their kids while you rip around on your bike.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

Dec 2007
    Well as I said, you can e-mail your NC representative and tell them how YOU feel... Oh wait, you're from West Virginia...

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Julia Boseman is a S h i t- tard....she needs to..

Hold both hands out, S h i t in one, wish on the other and see which one fills up faster..:thumbsup

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

E-mail now.

I have several friends that hunt and they knew nothing about the bill. They could not come up with one good reason for hunting on Sunday's. This is one persons agenda and the sponsor will back off if there is enough opposition. You don't need to use big words, just common sense.

E-mail your Senator and voice your opinions.

mtbr member

Shared Use?

Proponents of Sunday hunting have been trying to get this approved for at least 12 years--I've been tracking the efforts since late '96. To date, such bills have been defeated by the "I want to ride safely", "I want to hike safely", and "Sunday is sacred" factions, who have mounted big campaigns against the bills...

I DO ride and hike safely during hunting seasons, but can do that without restricting the activities of another legitimate user of public lands. Most of us continue to ride and hike on lands open to hunting even during rifle season for deer, which seems to be the source of most concerns about hunters. (I find that damned near NOBODY even knows about such hunting seasons as squirrel, rabbit, quail, and grouse, which would be the seasons most hunters enjoyed on Sundays.)

Many mountain bikers are quick to ask for (even insist on!) shared use of trails, but appear slow to extend a welcoming hand to other legitimate users. Instead of asking why hunters need Sunday hunting, ask why Sunday is restricted. You'll probably agree that it's yet another carry-over from the notorious 'blue laws' that restricted many activities on Sundays, and were de facto endorsements of religion by the State. Anyone who believes in religious freedom should question ANY law that has a day of the week built into it!

And finally, opposition to any bill should have better reasoning than "...the sponsor is an arse cavity...", or "...all the hunters I've met are arse cavities...", etc. Similarly, the idea that someone from outside NC can't make an informed comment on this subject is bogus--s/he may be willing to pay the high fees for a non-resident license and hunt in NC, or may have seen that neighboring states have successfully dropped the ridiculous Sunday restrictions on hunting with no real problems to ANY of the forest users involved.

Regards,
    TZ.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Bowhunters may get Sunday hunting

http://projects.newsobserver.com/tags/sb7_09

Archers may soon be allowed to hunt on Sundays.

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is considering a rule change that would allow archers to practice their hobby during the traditional Christian Sabbath.

Currently, hunting with guns is prohibited by state law, but archery is handled at the regulatory level, so the change would not require the legislature to pass a bill.

Three rule changes are under consideration. One would allow bow hunting on private lands; a second, on public lands where hunting is allowed. A third would allow hunters who use falcons.

"Bow hunting on Sundays would increase opportunities, particularly for hunters who can only hunt on the weekends because of work obligations," the rules change reads.

The commission will vote on the change at its March 4 meeting.

Previously: Bill would end ban on Sunday hunting.

Two thirds opposed Sunday hunting

A state study showed nearly two thirds of Tar Heels disapprove of hunting on Sundays.

The survey of North Carolina residents in 2006 found that 65 percent opposed legalizing hunting on Sundays, while only 25 percent approved of overturning the current ban.

Of opponents, 62 percent cited religious reasons for their objections.

Sunday hunting, which has been illegal since 1869, was also opposed by hunters themselves. The study found that 53 percent of hunters opposed legalizing it, while only 38 percent supported it. Of hunters who opposed it, 68 percent cited religious reasons.

Natural resource research firm Responsive Management and Virginia Tech did the poll as part of a study by the state Wildlife Resources Commission. Full results are here, a summary here.

The survey of 1,212 residents was done in June and July of 2006. The margin of error was plus or minus 2.8 percentage points.

Boseman is still a s h i t tard..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are some MTB trails in NC that are only open on Sunday during hunting seasons (They are open every day of the week outside of the hunting seasons). Sunday hunting would effectively close these trails for a good part of the year.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    That's BS. They already get several months out of the year to hunt. Now they want Sundays too!?! It's not like public land is mulit-use or anything or that MTBers should respect other groups. I hope you're picking up the sarcasm because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

If you're a cyclist and truly support rejecting this because you want a "safe" Sunday ride during the few months hunting season is in then I hope the hikers take away access to your favorite mtb trails because they don't feel safe walking with their kids while you rip around on your bike.
    Wow - guess you haven't been paying attention to this forum much. Good timing buddy...
    http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...ld_accountable

And spare us the "one rotten apple" BS - you guys are on multi-use land with GUNS. We're riding BICYCLES - 90% of the time spent climbing up the mountain at a slow pace.

mtbr member

Have to agree with Keenan...

Penalty for failure seems significantly higher if there is user conflict with a gun.

As someone who also has an interest in getting a dog exercise, it is nice to have one day of the week to do that. I have always been a responsible user of the trails during hunting season, aka bright colors, but have my own story of rounding a blind turn to have startled a hunter and had the pleasure of meeting the dark end of his rifle. When I requested he not be so trigger happy, the gun remained up and he stated "lets remember who has the gun". I wish these remarks were as effective on hikers. But alas don't bring a bike to a gun fight...right?

I think amending the law to allow Sunday hunting on PRIVATE lands is reasonable, but PUBLIC lands should remain one day a week without hunting, your moral compass can dictate which day you would prefer, I don't care if it is Tuesday. This allows all other users to feel like they have a safe opportunity to get into the woods...

OR convince the city and county to open all of the possible land we could build trails on so that those become an alternative. It would just take a bit more work. There you go, instead of paying the crooks and thieves in Raleigh to bicker over this crap, they should take those resources (read: money) and devote it to grants for cities to build trails. Better yet, as a show of good faith, all those hunting groups could pay for our city and county trails to be built, then they could have the other woods as much as they want during hunting season.

Rant over, no idea where that came from,
    Ben

Philosophizer
    I hope it passes. Hunt'n on Sundays......yeah baby!
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Finally, I see an upside to this religion nonsense.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen
    I DO ride and hike safely during hunting seasons, but can do that without restricting the activities of another legitimate user of public lands. Most of us continue to ride and hike on lands open to hunting even during rifle season for deer, which seems to be the source of most concerns about hunters. (I find that damned near NOBODY even knows about such hunting seasons as squirrel, rabbit, quail, and grouse, which would be the seasons most hunters enjoyed on Sundays.)

Many mountain bikers are quick to ask for (even insist on!) shared use of trails, but appear slow to extend a welcoming hand to other legitimate users.
    Right on TZ ! Although I no longer live in NC I support hunting on Sundays in any state. Take appropriate cautions, wear orange clothing, put an orange vest on your furry companions, a bell on your handle bars, a bell on your furry companions neck...I've ridden Pisgah National forest for over 8 years during hunting season and coastal NC's private land trails that also allowed hunting for 2 years during hunting season during the week and on Saturdays and have never had a issue.

Most hunters are not the trigger happy body cavities I've heard them described as. Take that approach and your just as bad as the hikers who want to keep mountain bikers off completely sustainable trails because a few riders buzzed them and gave a bad impression of us as a whole. Support another user group, you might see some support for us in return.

mtbr member
    mtn biking, hiking , hunting, fishing, camping, all deserve the same respect and available opportunity. if you can do one on sunday then you should be able to them all on sunday. ive been in the situation , where my employment obligations kept me out of the woods everyday but sunday, and i missed all of hunting season. i dont see that as fair, when everyone else can participate in there passion but hunters cant. i agree with the bowhunting only on sundays, this is the best of both worlds, just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Should public hunting lands also be open to mountain biking every day? In NC, there are areas that are only open to MTB on days when there is no legal hunting. Imagine the reaction hunters (I am one, btw) would have if a group of MTB's came zipping under the tree stand at sunrise on opening day.

Sometimes the best strategy for minimizing conflict between user groups is to keep them separate.

mtbr member
    yes public land should be open to everyone, all the time. if you are deer hunting and you put your stand on a road or mtn biking trail, well thats your problem not the mtn bikers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What if the public land was paid for by hunting license revenues?

or...what if the land was purchased by a grant from hikers or bikers?

What if MTB clubs do all of the maintainable on site?

Should everyone still have equal access all of the time?

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbykeller
    yes public land should be open to everyone, all the time. if you are deer hunting and you put your stand on a road or mtn biking trail, well thats your problem not the mtn bikers
    Public lands are open to everyone, YES

BS..cause most game lands (public lands) DO NOT allow road hunting or any traffic off the right aways (roads) including cars,

Read NC Hunting Regulations manual..

Being both a hunter with rifle and avid mountain biker, being in the woods with most hunters is downright scary enough, let alone being on a mountain bike during open season, so if your NOT wearing bright orange just be prepared for the worst, I'm just saying

or just wait cause the season only runs from mid Oct to Jan 1 depending on what district you live in..

Now if your biking on private lands..have at it..during hunting season your walking a fine line when it comes to public lands..

So take your chances, unless hunting is totally prohibited??

BTW- most public lands are only open to hunting on certain days Mon- Wed- Sat, Tues- thursday, some are open all week except sunday,

Read up get educated about hunting..
    Last edited by xllent01; 02-02-2009 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member

to use the gamelands you are required to have a license with the game land stamp. i hike,fish, and ride my bike on the gamelands all the time. and when a warden stops me i show my sportsman license and all is ok. buying the stamp is what pays for the upkeep. foodplots, road maintenance , gates, and all kinds wildlife research. so buy a stamp and play.

if the state owns the land then yes, i think everyone who pays taxes or buys license should have equal rights .

the hunting regs says you cant hunt on main roads, that does not include the gravel or dirt roads. the right away roads are the paved roads. just go to any gameland on the east coast on a saturday and you will see the dog hunters standing on there truck beds on the side of the road , with rifle in hand waiting for the dogs to run the deer out to them.

maybe you should read the regs

mtbr member
    In all fairness, does this all mean that I could possibly buy beer before 1pm on Sunday? Go to the ABC store and pick up some Goldschlager on Sunday? Ditch the kids at the mall before 1pm on Sunday? Buy beer before 1pm on Sunday? I know, I said that twice, but, you can see where I'm going with that. Hahaha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm all for shared use. If anyone from the WRC would like to discuss opening more game lands to mountain biking please get in touch. I'd be happy to discuss this issue.

Work Hard, Play Harder

to use the gamelands you are required to have a license with the game land stamp. i hike,fish, and ride my bike on the gamelands all the time. and when a warden stops me i show my sportsman license and all is ok. buying the stamp is what pays for the upkeep. foodplots, road maintenance , gates, and all kinds wildlife research. so buy a stamp and play.

if the state owns the land then yes, i think everyone who pays taxes or buys license should have equal rights .

the hunting regs says you cant hunt on main roads, that does not include the gravel or dirt roads. the right away roads are the paved roads. just go to any gameland on the east coast on a saturday and you will see the dog hunters standing on there truck beds on the side of the road , with rifle in hand waiting for the dogs to run the deer out to them.

maybe you should read the regs

You don't need a gameland stamp.. NO such thing.. your sportsman's license enables you to hunt on game lands, (except waterfowl which you need the Federal Duck Stamp)

YES.. It pays for the upkeep. foodplots, road maintenance , gates, and all kinds wildlife research. No sportmans license, No hunt, No fish !!

This hunt thing must be new to ya, just like mountain biking??

Jan 2009
    sunday hunting i am all for it . we can call the same number to give our support right

mtbr member
    you had better check on the gameland stamp again. if you buy a state or comprehensive license you can not hunt or fish or anything on the gamelands. you have to have a gameland stamp to be on the gamelands. this i know for a fact, and the sportsman license comes with the the gamelands stamp.

mtbr member

Several Comments and a Change of Venue...

...first the comments:

1. Xllent01, your stats reinforce what I suspected about the 'Sunday is sacred' argument against Sunday hunting. To those who don't want to hunt (or buy hardware, or drink, or gamble, etc) on Sunday, I say "Well, then, don't, but also don't tell me what to do with my time!"

2. Fireflock, yes, several states have nice trails on lands managed as gamelands. I regret that some of those land managers have decided to block all but hunting access to the trails during hunting seasons. I feel we should put more effort into getting year-round access in such ride venues...

3. Drkenan, the hunting fatality in Turkey Pen is not a good example of hunting's potential dangers to non-hunting users. Hiking and MTBing are trail-based activities, while hunting is off-trail. The permit for harvesting galax requires that it be harvested a minimum distance (I think it's 100 yards) off trails, roads, and streams. Not to blame the victim for his own death, but the man was on the ground (as you have to be to harvest galax), was wearing a brown coat, etc. And it wasn't 'one bad apple'--both hunters observed the brown object through rifle scopes before the fatal shot was fired. Meanwhile, many of us were playing on the District that same day with no problems because we stayed on the trails and were wearing hunter orange...

4. Redriderbb, that wasn't a rant! I've seen you rant (up close and personal) and that simply wasn't a rant. As suggested above, I don't see hunting as incompatible with hiking or MTBing. That's especially true when the only critter in season is grouse or squirrel, because those hunters are certainly not going to mistake my fat arse for either game critter! I cannot understand why ANY land manager would lock up public lands to non-hunting users during small-game hunting seasons. While I personally take more precautions during rifle season for deer, I still feel comfortable sharing the woods with those hunters. I'm often on the trail with a dog during rifle season for deer, but we all wear orange. I'm certain MTBers in the Turkey Pen area 13 Dec '08 would have been under no threat by the two hunters involved in that fatality... I'm even more comfortable with sharing the woods with deer hunters during black powder and bow seasons... And more land open to trails?? Yeah, I'm all about that!

5. MGE, thanks for the words of support, and I hope you're doing well in Colorado...

6. Bobbykeller, I agree that ALL legitimate uses of public should receive the same respect and opportunity--let's keep working toward that goal...

7. Dkknight74, the liquor laws were one of the things I was referring to when I made my snide remark about having days of the week written into law. If you enjoy a fine breakfast beer, that's your right and privilege!

8. Mjenkins, thanks for supporting shared use...

9. Bill29er, let your voice be heard!

..and now, for a change of venue. What say we're a bunch of roadies and we see the opportunity to make the roads 'safer' one day a week (pick one--doesn't have to be Sunday) by restricting the access of another user of public roads. Pick a highway user that's easy to dislike--maybe heavy 18-wheelers, maybe Cadillac boats driven by blue-hairs that appear to be doing chin-ups on the steering wheel, maybe 40+ foot motor homes driven by near-sighted retirees... Should we start an email campaign to restrict their access to public highways? I know the analogy breaks down a bit, but is the concept any dumber than telling a legitimate user s/he doesn't have access to public lands because of the day of the week???

Regards,
    TZ

Work Hard, Play Harder
    you had better check on the gameland stamp again. if you buy a state or comprehensive license you can not hunt or fish or anything on the gamelands. you have to have a gameland stamp to be on the gamelands. this i know for a fact, and the sportsman license comes with the the gamelands stamp.

Maybe on the state or county basic you pay extra $15 to hunt/fish on gamelands

So where is this mysterious stamp?? Sportsman license can hunt/fish the whole state of NC including game lands..
    THERE IS NO STAMP ON THE SPORTSMAN LICENSE, It's an actual paid certification, NOT a actual stamp..

Read the NC regulations digest which sits right in front me

The sportsman license includes Big Game Harvest card, (which I'm looking at right now)
    The HIP certification is free, needed to hunt migratory game birds
    The Sportsman certification to hunt the whole state, and gasp the Game lands..
    Last edited by xllent01; 02-03-2009 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member

TZ I will ammend my statement...

The only group of the hunting contingent I am referring to is the rifle using deer hunters. I believe most other hunters pose no serious threat to other users as the targeting practices and game size/shape are dis-similar. However, due to the high penalty of failure if a mistake is made and the relative similarity of mountain bikers and deer in size and movement patterns, I enjoy having one day during the week where I can feel "safer" in the forest. It is my own personal opinion and because of past experiences, that you state you have not had, I feel totally validated in this opinion. If I had not had a rifle in my face, which quickly changes one's mind, I am sure I would feel the same as you.

No rant this time...

Ben

XC Champion
    May 2006
    3. Drkenan, the hunting fatality in Turkey Pen is not a good example of hunting's potential dangers to non-hunting users. Hiking and MTBing are trail-based activities, while hunting is off-trail. The permit for harvesting galax requires that it be harvested a minimum distance (I think it's 100 yards) off trails, roads, and streams. Not to blame the victim for his own death, but the man was on the ground (as you have to be to harvest galax), was wearing a brown coat, etc. And it wasn't 'one bad apple'--both hunters observed the brown object through rifle scopes before the fatal shot was fired. Meanwhile, many of us were playing on the District that same day with no problems because we stayed on the trails and were wearing hunter orange...

Yeah - I agree. Killing someone in cold blood is absolutely ok if 2 people look and think it's a forest animal instead. I'm sure his family would agree with you as well.

I hope he gets life.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    Yeah - I agree. Killing someone in cold blood is absolutely ok if 2 people look and think it's a forest animal instead. I'm sure his family would agree with you as well.

I hope he gets life.
    If anyone can't tell the difference between a forest animal and a mountain biker..Well they are F @# kin moron Any good responsible hunter will identify his target before they shoot, atleast thats what they teach you in hunter safety, then again you always read about isolated instances that do happen..

but hey wearing bright orange as a biker will help lessen your chances of getting shot, or just ride on private lands or public parks to lessen your chances..

mtbr member
    ok so there isnt an actual stamp. but there use to be, and thats what we still call it. its still the same thing . you have to pay extra to use the gamelands. back in the day you would get a license for state hunting and then if you payed the extra for gamelands you would get a stamp put on your license. now you can still get a state hunting license without a gamelands pass (if thats what you want to call it) or you can buy a sportsman license that comes with the pass.

i talked to a gamewarden here local and he said as long as one person in the group has a pass then all is ok. but if no one has a pass then tickets would get handed out. he also said that there are a lot of wardens that don't enforce the law until they see you out there three or four times without the pass. they will give you the chance to get one.

mtbr member

That AIN'T What I Said...

While I'm uncertain as to how you arrived at this interpretation of my words, a review of my post suggests that my efforts to be brief obliterated my intent to be clear. So...

...I won't be so brief. The death of Luciano Martinez was tragic, and the lives of his friends and family changed forever on December 13. The lives of Kyle Keith and Michael Sprouse also changed forever that day, in ways they are only beginning to comprehend. I feel that BOTH hunters should be held responsible for Martinez' death rather than only Keith being charged, and I feel that 'involuntary manslaughter' doesn't quite cover the crime. Quick reviews of hunting forums (yep, hunters got forums, too) suggest that many hunters agree with my stand.

That said, we shouldn't use the actions of an irresponsible pair of hunters to try to justify further restrictions on the entire hunting community. Nor should we use the incident to scare (or force) any legitimate user group out of the woods, even for a few days at a time.
    If all forest users make a little effort to understand the needs and wants of other forest users, we can safely share our public lands. Know who else is in the woods, and take the appropriate measures to accommodate those users, but enjoy the forest whenever you can!

We should use the Martinez death to educate ourselves to be better forest users, just as we should use the deaths of John and Irene Bryant to remind us that there are sometimes arse cavities in the woods. But we shouldn't use those deaths to justify sitting at home in front of the TV and stroking out, nor should we use those deaths to lock up public lands...

TZ

Jan 2009

I feel that BOTH hunters should be held responsible for Martinez' death rather than only Keith being charged, and I feel that 'involuntary manslaughter' doesn't quite cover the crime.

asTZ
    I agree with almost all of what you said, but this statement here is crazy ! Why should both hunters be held responsible? If we are riding in a car,and I run over someone,should you, the passenger,be charged with killing that person!

I am a hunter and I do everthing I can to be as safe as possible. The guy I hunt with may not. Just because I hunt with this man, I should not be held responsible for his wrong doings!

mtbr member

I Sometimes Say Crazy Things...

29er, I feel that way because BOTH hunters are reported to have looked at Martinez through scopes and to have determined that he was fair game. You're right, of course, that only one hunter pulled the trigger, and your analogy of only the driver being responsible for a vehicle incident is a good one. I would counter by saying that if I knowingly let you get behind the wheel after drinking that I contributed to the incident, just as by 'confirming' Keith's identification of his target, Sprouse contributed to Martinez' death. Because it's respectfully stated, I'll respect your opinion, but hope you can understand how I arrived at the opinion I hold...

Regards,
    TZ

Jan 2009
    Zen I do Respect your opinion. Like I said I agree with a lot of what you said. I just want people to know and understand that all hunters are not out to kill every thing we see. As a hunter I only kill what I can eat. We get 7 tags for deer every year but i only take 2 deer a year. i dont need 7 deer, i cant eat that much. Now i know that every hunter is not that way.

App State
    Took me a while but here,
    http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...ubmitButton=Go
    I sent my email.
    Kona Coiler
    Da Bomb Sputnik

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Got the website, tried lots of approaches, but can you tell me how I vote against idiotic animal killing on Sundays?

mtbr member
    lol

Jan 2009
    Why do you feel its idioctic? Because its something I enjoy and you don"t! I am sure there is something you enjoy that I do not, but I don't insult you or the things that you enjoy!
    I just don't understand why if people dislike something they feel the need to insult it or the people that do it. Now if I say something to you. You call me a red neck or worse. We hunt so what. Get over it!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Because.........

I don't go to hunter type websites and post with a signature like "cycling rocks" or "Spandex rules" etc.
    I would venture a guess that most experienced cyclists don't want to go to their favorite websites to find newbies talking about how they like to kill animals, while putting us in danger and wanting to take away yet more of the experience we signed up for.
    Not that it's any of your business, but I used to hunt. Then I evolved.
    I'm not going to argue the point or "get over it" so, hope to see you on the trail- with a bike.

Jan 2009
    My apologies to you all. I thought this was a wedsite that you could put your opinion down in any of the talks. Now I see that mb is just like any other sport, If you are a new person keep your opinion to yourself let the experienced people do all the talking. now i will go i have to go **** another evolved person.

mtbr member
    believe it or not , by not harvesting the animals and letting the population grow and grow,you are doing more harm than good. our deer population grows every year,despite the harvest numbers going up . also the animals lose land everyday. think about how it would be if we stopped thinning the population? the deer would starve to death, you couldn't drive your car without hitting deer (which is a big problem now) and disease would run ramped with all the dead animals around. hunting is a necessary tool. and in a free society we all can either hunt or not but at the same time we need to RESPECT each others decision.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerflier
    I would venture a guess that most experienced cyclists don't want to go to their favorite websites to find newbies talking about how they like to kill animals, while putting us in danger and wanting to take away yet more of the experience we signed up for.
    So you think there isn't any experienced cyclist that also hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerflier
    Not that it's any of your business, but I used to hunt. Then I evolved.
    Evolved into what???
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

XC Champion
    May 2006
    believe it or not , by not harvesting the animals and letting the population grow and grow,you are doing more harm than good. our deer population grows every year,despite the harvest numbers going up . also the animals lose land everyday. think about how it would be if we stopped thinning the population? the deer would starve to death, you couldn't drive your car without hitting deer (which is a big problem now) and disease would run ramped with all the dead animals around. hunting is a necessary tool. and in a free society we all can either hunt or not but at the same time we need to RESPECT each others decision.
    There's 2 sides to every story and yours is definitely only one of them.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    So you think there isn't any experienced cyclist that also hunt?

Evolved into what???
    My thoughts exactly:

Evolved into what?? Some tree hugging activists..

I"m an avid cyclist. I like to hunt, so what, I also like to hop on my hotrod Harley and go for 3 day cruises thru the mountains..

mtbr member

Perhaps YOU are the one due an apology...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill 29er
    My apologies to you all. I thought this was a website that you could put your opinion down in any of the talks.
    29er, few of the contributors to ANY forum are so single-minded as to have only ONE aspect to their personalities. Some of us have screen names or signature lines that reflect the appreciation of activities other than MTBing, an affinity for a certain brand of bike or car, the ownership of motorcycles, the appreciation of dog, cats, or other pets, the appeal of a certain trail or ride venue, etc, etc. You don't owe (IMHO) the forum an apology for your tag line, and certainly didn't need to remove it from your posts. While I wasn't crazy about it, your signature line told me that in addition to mountain biking, you probably also fish and hunt. If that's an important part of your personality or heritage, don't hide it...

Perhaps this thread has become more about anti-hunting than about Sunday hunting, and it appears that some points of view will be shown no respect, regardless of how well those points are made. The rock throwing and name calling has begun...

And now that we have learned that our positions on the evolutionary ladder are determined in part by our use (perhaps even our ownership) of guns, I'd like to know more of the factors that determine my ladder position. Are there vehicles, people, brands, places, activities, etc, that I could avoid mentioning and thereby be considered 'more evolved' than others who post here?

Meanwhile, 29er, join me for a ride at Dupont--I think we'd get along just fine.

Regards,
    TZ

WNC Native
    Bill 29er brings up a valid point. Hunting is a necessary part of nature. I'm sure anyone local to Asheville remembers the issues with the deer overpopulating and becoming a problem in Biltmore Forest. It is necessary to keep overpopulating and animal spread disease under control.

Also The way I look at it, we all have multiple hobbies. If your not into a hobby that someone brings up, then leave them alone (don't slam them just because it's not your flavor).

Another thing to keep in mind. There are bad seeds in every sport, just because you meet one rude mountain biker doesn't mean we are all rude. Attitude and respect can go a long ways. IMO, we need a little less attitude and some more respect on these boards also!

I hunt, fish, hike, camp, and mountain bike. These are all just another chance to be in the woods for me. I do all of these things because I enjoy being in the woods. I go out expecting to have a good time and 99% of the time I do. If you go out with the expectation of starting a fight and arguing with someone, then chances are you will find that too.

We each have just as much right as the other to be in the woods.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    There's 2 sides to every story and yours is definitely only one of them.
    there's no side to what i said, its the facts. if not prove me wrong. cars hit deer every day,in areas where there is no hunting they have starvation and disease problems which kills more deer.houses and buildings are going up everyday taking up more deer habitat so if the deer population goes up and their resources go down , well you do the math.

most of the anti hunters problem is they are making decisions on emotions and not knowledge.

Jan 2009
    Thank you all for the kind words. I was about to just leave and not come back. But after seeing the support I think I will stay. One thing I think that would help hunting in the western part of state is a tree stand law. I do most of my hunting in Chatham county and during any firearm season you have to use a tree stand and you have to be 10 feet off the ground. I think this law would work well in this part of the stat too.

Members who have read this thread: 0