Navigating Davidson River, Mills River and Bent Creek trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Navigating Davidson River, Mills River and Bent Creek trails

Hi, I'm heading down to to Asheville next week for a MTB trip, I've been down 4 times road biking but doing something different this time. Going be primarily riding Davidson River, Mills River and Bent Creek trails, how easy/hard is it to navigate/ find your way around these trails? I've found this website that has great descriptions and GPX files. Are there route markers on the trails or should I pick up a trail map from one of the local shops?

Big Mac
    A trail map will be a big help, but most trails are fairly well marked/signed (although wrong at times). Yeah, get a map.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You need a map. Stop in at the Hub bike shop.

ready to ride
    +3 on getting a map. Sounds like you will be based in Asheville. Not sure about your experience level but if you haven't ridden the trails around here you might want to try Bent Creek or Du Pont out before trying to take on Pisgah. Though some of the trails in all of the areas mentioned are suitable for all levels. You could stop by Carolina Fatz and pick up some maps, they are right by Bent Creek.

Here is a pretty good thread on Bent Creek.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...es-807368.html

Off the Beaten Path by Jim Parham has a good listing of trails and general descriptions. Though I wouldn't take all of his suggested routes as gospel. Most are pretty good though.

Another good resource for routes.
    Pisgah Area SORBA Ride Routes

Not sure how accurate the GPX files are, I would assume they are fairly accurate. If you don't know the area though its no substitute for a map.

mtbr member
    Get a map at a local bike shop. Spend some money on other things you need or want anyway. Ask the local employees to help you orient the routes from various websites to the map you just purchased.
    There is no better way to get accurate local advice. You may have to wait around until they have timeto talk to you if they're busy- that's to be expected. Otherwise, any shop that doesn't want to take the time to do this is not worth it's weight in salt let alone gold ESPECIALLY if you spend a few shekels on items other than said map.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not sure how accurate the GPX files are, I would assume they are fairly accurate. If you don't know the area though its no substitute for a map.
    I've put lots of effort into making them accurate, but like others are saying: get a map. My new personal favorite is the WNC Trail Guide by Pisgah Map Co.

That said download the GPX files too, and if you find errors in them, let me know!

(Disclaimer: I made the website the OP referenced)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advise, Planning on picking up the WNC Trail Guide from a local shop. You guys are lucky to have tons of awesome shops, they've always been great on previous trips.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Another vote for a map. Get a waterproof topo map for the Pisgah district and you'll be all set. There are also various guidebooks that list out nice routes for Pisgah, Dupont and Bent Creek.

mtbr member

WNC Trail Guide

There are now two maps in the WNC Trail Guide series by Pisgah Map Co:

* WNC Trail Guide: South Pisgah Ranger District including Bent Creek

* WNC Trail Guide: Dupont State Recreational Forest

The South Pisgah Map (third edition, revised and updated as of 05/22/2012)

The Dupont Map is new (first edition, revised and updated as of 05/22/2012)

Both maps are available at Asheville and Brevard area bike shops.
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

Big Mac
    If ya wanna go, I'm the one you need to know. I'm a map, I'm a map, I'm a map.

mtbr member
    I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map,I'm the map, I'm the map,I'm the map, I'm the map,I'm the map, I'm the map,I'm the map, I'm the map,I'm the map, I'm the map,I'm the map, I'm the map...

Members who have read this thread: 0