Nantahala - Lake Toxaway- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Nantahala - Lake Toxaway

I rented a cabin at Seven Foxes near Lake Toxaway for the wife/kids' spring break. I haven't ridden in Nantahala, but was wondering if there were any MTB trails near/around the lake within riding distance. Searches on the forum don't turn up many details, other than much of Nantahala is closed to MTBs.

Tsali is on the other side of the forest, and I don't plan to head up there this trip.

Obviously, there's Pisgah...I'll ride over and spend a day there.

Panthertown is a short drive down 64, and the vibe on forum suggests these trails might be good a fit for the wife and kids. From Google maps, there doesn't appear to be any forest roads that bridge these two areas. I don't (yet) have a trail map...do any of these trails extend over to Lake Toxaway?

Thanks in advance!

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    There are some forest roads in Gorges State Park. The only one I've done is the one that begins on Frozen Creek and goes down to the river. Not much fun, but good exercise. There are some fire roads up by Pinhook Gap off 215 in Nantahala. Sorry that's all I know of, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with that area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Check out Panthertown Creek, it's about 30 minutes from Lake Toxaway.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7032805

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Nantahala - Lake Toxaway

Quote Originally Posted by aenima View Post
    Check out Panthertown Creek, it's about 30 minutes from Lake Toxaway.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7032805
    Thatís almost the right loop. Ya gotta do Riding Ford to Devils elbow, and ya gotta do the entire loop in opposite direction. Stay off the inner Powerline rd, itís just steep gravel road. In reality, best thing is to come in on Rattlesnake Knob from the NE and do it as a big lollipop. The climb up Rattle is a good warm up, down Riding Ford to the creek crossing is a ball, then clockwise loop is fun variegated double and single track (Classic Nantahala vs Pisgah). The climb up to Salt and then up over Blackrock is tough but it sets you up for the killer final 2 mile downhill - Blackrock, some Powerline double track, then on down Rattlesnake with lots of whoopty-dos.

Itís a lot of climbing, 18 miles if done as I described, not technical, but fun, awesome views, and if you have the time, you can glimpse 4-5 waterfalls along the way. Iíve probably done it 20 times bc I visit relatives near Sylva.

I wouldnít call it a family loop, at least not my family. Iíve seen some people try to ride in from the Salt side (west), but I couldnít imagine it really being very fun. There are no good short loops on that side, just steep out and backs on gravel. Although there are several nice views and waterfalls, which is why so many folks hike in from there. Iíve done that with my kids.
    Last edited by Wu-D; 03-26-2018 at 05:25 AM.