N Mills River After Work- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

N Mills River After Work

Hey Gang,

Yesterday I parked at the 3$ fee area lot and rode up wash creek road to spencer gap upper (fun trail), then down upper trace ridge and lower trace ridge back to the car.

I rode trace ridge 10+ years ago and remember how fun it was but it has really eroded and become another fall line descent. I like it ok but want to have other 10 mile loops in NMR for after work rides as I have fairly quick access to the trails there.

What trails/routes do you all recommend there?

Mainly starting from the bottom fee area or the trace ridge kiosk area.

mtbr member
    A great one is the new Spencer Branch descent to Fletcher Creek. Parking at the fee area would land you about 12-13 miles I would guess.

Another, more "woodsy" ride is full Spencer Branch from the reservoir to Fletcher Creek.

Lower trace, Wash Cr. and Bear Branch are also fun routes. There are also options using Middle Fork and as a last option out and back on Big Creek is pretty fun.

IMO Trace is riding the best it ever has. I ride it at least once a week and it has a great blend of steep/tech and flow. Now that Spencer and Fletcher Cr. are tamer its great having a more challenging trail (descending wise) to ride and offers a good balance to the easier routes out there.

Also, why do you park at the $3 fee area? Just drive down another 100yds to the free parking lot... Or park before the fee area.... save your $$$ for beer!
    On your left!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    A great one is the new Spencer Branch descent to Fletcher Creek. Parking at the fee area would land you about 12-13 miles I would guess.

Another, more "woodsy" ride is full Spencer Branch from the reservoir to Fletcher Creek.

Lower trace, Wash Cr. and Bear Branch are also fun routes. There are also options using Middle Fork and as a last option out and back on Big Creek is pretty fun.

IMO Trace is riding the best it ever has. I ride it at least once a week and it has a great blend of steep/tech and flow. Now that Spencer and Fletcher Cr. are tamer its great having a more challenging trail (descending wise) to ride and offers a good balance to the easier routes out there.

Also, why do you park at the $3 fee area? Just drive down another 100yds to the free parking lot... Or park before the fee area.... save your $$$ for beer!
    Thanks. lots of good choices you pointed out. I will do some studying. Don't get me wrong I do like trace upper and lower but want to string together other good routes as well.

I haven't been to NMR in a long time so I just pulled into that fee lot for convenience. I will park further down next time. It is funny the attendant in the fee area said many people are getting their cars broken into around the area so not sure what is up with that?

mtbr member
    The pull off parking area before the fee area is supposed to be for horse trailers only. I think there's a sign. They will take action if others are parked there.

If you want a longer route some time, I really really like to warm up on a Bear Branch loop and then climb 5000 to Spencer>Spencer all the way>climb middle fork>Fletcher Creek back to reservoir up the reservoir road back to the trace ridge parking area. Been doing this ride as a go to for over 20 years (man I'm old) and it never disappoints.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks Mike Brown. I will look at your longer option as well ^^^

Is the new Spencer branch decent better than original? Was it re-done because of erosion?

Also when done with the spencer branch decent would I take a right on fletcher creek rd then left on fletcher creek upper> to fletcher creek lower?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Thanks Mike Brown. I will look at your longer option as well ^^^

Is the new Spencer branch decent better than original? Was it re-done because of erosion?

Also when done with the spencer branch descent would I take a right on fletcher creek rd then left on fletcher creek upper> to fletcher creek lower?
    New Spencer is completely different than the old one... much longer, bench cut trail with some good flow to it. They closed and re routed the old Spencer which was badly eroded... but fun to ride! haha

Once you hit Never Ending Rd at the bottom of Spencer you would go right and Fletcher Creek is on your left about 1/2 mile.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    New Spencer is completely different than the old one... much longer, bench cut trail with some good flow to it. They closed and re routed the old Spencer which was badly eroded... but fun to ride! haha

Once you hit Never Ending Rd at the bottom of Spencer you would go right and Fletcher Creek is on your left about 1/2 mile.
    Thank you sir. I will get back out this week and have a go at it

mtbr member
    Road Spencer today for the first time in years. It was really fun. Thanks to the folks that did the work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The section of Trace Ridge trail below the TR parking lot is excellent in both directions (usually how I ride it unless the river crossing at the bottom is low volume). The new reroute takes the hard left ~ 1/2 mile down same as for wash creek trail then a hard right shortly after steep downhill. From there it's pretty fast and flowy with a few rock features near the bottom.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    The section of Trace Ridge trail below the TR parking lot is excellent in both directions (usually how I ride it unless the river crossing at the bottom is low volume). The new reroute takes the hard left ~ 1/2 mile down same as for wash creek trail then a hard right shortly after steep downhill. From there it's pretty fast and flowy with a few rock features near the bottom.
    I have been starting at the bottom and do:

new lower trace ridge>wash creek lower>bear branch loop>up wash creek road>spencer gap>spencer branch>fletcher creek upper>fletcher creek lower>trace ridge parking>down new lower trace ridge>end at car.

I love this loop, its about 17 miles. The only part that sucks is hitting the water crossing right off the bat on lower trace ridge. Pretty much doing the whole loop with cold wet feet. Besides packing a pair of water shoes for the crossing, is there any other way to get across dry? Not a big deal now but the winter will be a different story.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Besides packing a pair of water shoes for the crossing, is there any other way to get across dry? Not a big deal now but the winter will be a different story.
    Creek socks my friend, creek socks. Got turned onto the idea by a buddy. Pack an extra pair of socks. Take off shoes when you get to river, walk across, put new socks on with your dry shoes, keep motoring. FTW. You get a surprising amount of traction in slick Pisgah streams with a pair of woolies on. That's the reason to not just strip it all the way down to nekked feets.

On the NMR loop you are describing, when you get through with the ride, you can either put on (wet) socks you used earlier in the day, or just tromp through since you're almost back to car anyway.

Have fun. NMR is so rad.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    has there ever been plans for a bridge in or near that spot? just curious

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    To add mileage I used to go out to yellow gap trail and descend into N. mills River Trail. You still have a creek to cross but can usually do it dry if the water is low...

And +1 for a bridge there. Im not sure but that land used to be private (along with the big white house, etc.) so now that the USFS owns it maybe they'll build one?
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    To add mileage I used to go out to yellow gap trail and descend into N. mills River Trail. You still have a creek to cross but can usually do it dry if the water is low...
    Just one? I always "hear" about a bazillion creek crossings on NMR trail so I never have even explored it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Just one? I always "hear" about a bazillion creek crossings on NMR trail so I never have even explored it.
    There are no less than a bazillion crossings on N. Mills but if memory serves there is only one if you descend to N. Mills River Trail via Yellow Gap Trail. When the water is low you can hop across it staying mostly dry.

At the very least you would have more time pedaling before getting wet haha...

EDIT!!... looking at old photos and Stravas there are 3 crossings so never mind haha
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    Recently moved to the area, and stopped by the N. Mills area to ride yesterday with the wife. Her work schedule has kept her off the bike lately, so we kept our ride on the easier side and just rode up the Never Ending Rd and descended Fletcher Creek. I have noticed that MTB Project coverage sucks badly in the Pisgah area. Some stuff appears just flat wrong compared to the paper maps I have. Yesterday's ride appeared to be a good opportunity to fix some things, so I dove in.

The ride was fun, and the relatively mellow climbing definitely kept my wife's legs from blowing up too early. She wasn't too excited about spending that much time climbing gravel to start our ride, though. I'll definitely be exploring the N. Mills area more to find other fun routes and also to add more stuff to mtbproject that's not even listed.

And yeah, I know that Trailforks coverage of the area is much better. Unfortunately for TF, their past shady dealings make me extremely disinclined to use their service.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Recently moved to the area, and stopped by the N. Mills area to ride yesterday with the wife. Her work schedule has kept her off the bike lately, so we kept our ride on the easier side and just rode up the Never Ending Rd and descended Fletcher Creek. I have noticed that MTB Project coverage sucks badly in the Pisgah area. Some stuff appears just flat wrong compared to the paper maps I have. Yesterday's ride appeared to be a good opportunity to fix some things, so I dove in.

The ride was fun, and the relatively mellow climbing definitely kept my wife's legs from blowing up too early. She wasn't too excited about spending that much time climbing gravel to start our ride, though. I'll definitely be exploring the N. Mills area more to find other fun routes and also to add more stuff to mtbproject that's not even listed.

And yeah, I know that Trailforks coverage of the area is much better. Unfortunately for TF, their past shady dealings make me extremely disinclined to use their service.
    A shorter but fun ride she may like is drive up to Trace Ridge parking area then:

climb wash creek road>spencer gap>spencer branch (new one)>R on NER>down fletcher creek>L at reservoir and back up to car

That one is only about 10 miles and not very difficult with a good variety of trail. My wife does it and really enjoys it a lot.

What is the deal with Trail Forks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Unfortunately for TF, their past shady dealings make me extremely disinclined to use their service.
    What shady dealings are you referring to?

Use what you want to use, but mtbproject is going to leave you stranded, lost, or missing some of the better trails. Their coverage of the area is really poor and everyone I know that depends on them, misses a lot of great trails.

since 4/10/2009
    A shorter but fun ride she may like is drive up to Trace Ridge parking area then:

climb wash creek road>spencer gap>spencer branch (new one)>R on NER>down fletcher creek>L at reservoir and back up to car

That one is only about 10 miles and not very difficult with a good variety of trail. My wife does it and really enjoys it a lot.
    I looked at climbing up Wash Creek Rd. and Spencer Gap but ultimately decided not to because of the steepness of the first part of Spencer Gap and my wife's lack of riding recently. We'll probably wind up doing the route that way in the future, to reduce the amount of gravel, but keeping grades more reasonable was a good way to keep her from getting angry with me. She mostly just wanted to turn the pedals. The newer part of Spencer Branch sounds fun, though, and on our next visit, she may be willing to go for the steeper parts of Spencer Gap to get there.

The route we did was about 10mi, also, since we parked along the road closer to Trace Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    What shady dealings are you referring to?

Use what you want to use, but mtbproject is going to leave you stranded, lost, or missing some of the better trails. Their coverage of the area is really poor and everyone I know that depends on them, misses a lot of great trails.

For one, a TF employee skimmed data I uploaded to mtbproject years ago, when TF got started. They had no coverage in the area, and I had uploaded all the trails for the main riding area in the state (Indiana) at the time. An employee from BC who had never ridden the trails downloaded the data and uploaded it straight to their website, with no descriptions of anything. Left a very bad taste in my mouth and I've held a grudge ever since. I don't hold a grudge about many things, but that guy flirted dangerously close with some IP issues by taking data from a competitor's website and uploading it as their own (I'm making no claim to the data at this point since I put it out there). One case in Indiana of all places tells me that it's most likely not an isolated incident.

I know that it was data that I uploaded originally since I formatted things in a very particular way that not just anybody is going to do.

I've been a data contributor to mtbproject since before TF existed. I usually don't use it to navigate the trails. I have plenty of other sources to draw from without relying on TF. But I know others do and would appreciate better information for this area, since it is lacking on mtbproject. I will be improving it, and began by fixing the stuff I rode yesterday. There's definitely more that needs to be done, so I'll be taking the opportunity to explore trails that mtbp is missing. I personally prefer to use it for planning and use something else when navigating the trails themselves. Particularly good quality paper maps.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I looked at climbing up Wash Creek Rd. and Spencer Gap but ultimately decided not to because of the steepness of the first part of Spencer Gap and my wife's lack of riding recently. We'll probably wind up doing the route that way in the future, to reduce the amount of gravel, but keeping grades more reasonable was a good way to keep her from getting angry with me. She mostly just wanted to turn the pedals. The newer part of Spencer Branch sounds fun, though, and on our next visit, she may be willing to go for the steeper parts of Spencer Gap to get there.

The route we did was about 10mi, also, since we parked along the road closer to Trace Ridge.
    Good call. I mistakenly dragged my wife around on a S. Mills River epic once. That put me in the dog house for a good while.

Sounds like a cool project to explore and load good trail data into mtbproject.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There are no less than a bazillion crossings on N. Mills but if memory serves there is only one if you descend to N. Mills River Trail via Yellow Gap Trail. When the water is low you can hop across it staying mostly dry.

At the very least you would have more time pedaling before getting wet haha...

EDIT!!... looking at old photos and Stravas there are 3 crossings so never mind haha
    Ahhhh the classic Pisgah forced memory loss. Love it. Thx for info sir.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've been a data contributor to mtbproject since before TF existed. I usually don't use it to navigate the trails. I have plenty of other sources to draw from without relying on TF. But I know others do and would appreciate better information for this area, since it is lacking on mtbproject. I will be improving it, and began by fixing the stuff I rode yesterday. There's definitely more that needs to be done, so I'll be taking the opportunity to explore trails that mtbp is missing. I personally prefer to use it for planning and use something else when navigating the trails themselves. Particularly good quality paper maps.
    I think that's really the flaw with mtbproject IMO, trailforks seems better oriented to areas like this where most people are going to be looping together a series of different, smaller trails rather than looking for a single ride or pre-assembled loop. It seems mtbproject's strength is more on the latter, when you just want a pre-assembled loop to do, whereas trailforks is more useful if you want to link together smaller segments. Personally, I use TF because the data is much more up to date and it's nice to send them a "private" route that I assemble (based on said updated data) that they can follow, if I can't ride with them for some reason.

Good for you for updating it, though. That "Best of DuPont" loop needs to die in a fire, as do others on mtbproject that are very outdated and no longer represent the trails or areas they map.

That said, I was a bit miffed with TF after riding down "Green" Slate Rock Connector off Laurel. Ha. Green. Right.

I do agree that there is a general lack of information available to riders in this area, especially as it relates to difficulty and even moreso as it applies for the 'average' intermediate rider. If mtbproject is the best means to communicate that to someone, then I'm all for it.

since 4/10/2009
    I think that's really the flaw with mtbproject IMO, trailforks seems better oriented to areas like this where most people are going to be looping together a series of different, smaller trails rather than looking for a single ride or pre-assembled loop. It seems mtbproject's strength is more on the latter, when you just want a pre-assembled loop to do, whereas trailforks is more useful if you want to link together smaller segments. Personally, I use TF because the data is much more up to date and it's nice to send them a "private" route that I assemble (based on said updated data) that they can follow, if I can't ride with them for some reason.

Good for you for updating it, though. That "Best of DuPont" loop needs to die in a fire, as do others on mtbproject that are very outdated and no longer represent the trails or areas they map.

That said, I was a bit miffed with TF after riding down "Green" Slate Rock Connector off Laurel. Ha. Green. Right.

I do agree that there is a general lack of information available to riders in this area, especially as it relates to difficulty and even moreso as it applies for the 'average' intermediate rider. If mtbproject is the best means to communicate that to someone, then I'm all for it.
    I dunno. With quality underlying data, I think mtbproject works pretty well for planning purposes. With the web interface, I can see where on an elevation profile trails might intersect and the written descriptions can (if done well, is contributor dependent...but anyone can contribute) give more info than TF's system tends to offer. So if you don't agree with a difficulty rating on mtbp, then you can say what you think it is.

I'm planning an out-and-back on Squirrel tomorrow, and am testing out having my Garmin provide guidance. Not from a previous track anyone else rode, but rather from drawing up a custom course with turn recommendations on RideWithGPS (which uses OSM map data). Since it's an out-and-back ride, it won't be tough to follow. I'm mostly curious how the function works on mtb trails out here. I've only used it on roads previously.

What I started for N. Mills area was I converted the "trail" labeled Fletcher Creek Trail into a "Ride" and then drew in the underlying "trails" and gravel roads with their correct names. It should be publicly visible now, even though my changes and updates haven't yet been "approved". When I'm creating content, I try to limit the number of "Rides" that I create for precisely the reason you mention. Too many "Rides" clutters things up.

I am not sure if a "Ride" can be deleted from mtbp...but it can certainly be completely rewritten if there was a better alternative.

mtbr member
    Unplug and just ride...

There are paper maps available that do an excellent job of telling you elevation, distance, etc. No way in hell I'm trusting an app or my phone to tell me where to go in remote National Forest.

Half the fun of riding somewhere new is the "newness" of it and not knowing what to expect. Grab some friends, take more food and water than you need and just go.

Pretty soon technology is going to be doing the riding for us! ...cough...e-bikes...cough cough....

haha.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^^ agreed. Keep Pisgah wild. Keep getting lost. Keep needing to stay on your toes so you can make it home. I love the wildness of Pisgah.

I've been riding in Pisgah for a few years. Done PMBAR 4 times. Really thought I knew my way around the forest, then, bam! Last week got lost exploring a new section. And it was an awesome ride. Had a map, a phone, and a compass all out to figure things out. It was just rad.

Long live the wild Pisgah.

Big Mac
    So let me get this straight: bridges to make things easier, yes, but technology, no. Is that right? Fug a bunch of bridges.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    So let me get this straight: bridges to make things easier, yes, but technology, no. Is that right? Fug a bunch of bridges.
    Bridges add to the adventure... Its harder riding those suspension bridges across the S. Mills than it is to wade the creek. Damn near came off one at Squirrel during DD last year haha...

But technically bridges are technology... just really old technology. Give it 1000+ years and Trail Forks and MTB Project are ok in my book.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Unplug and just ride...

Pretty soon technology is going to be doing the riding for us! ...cough...e-bikes...cough cough....

haha.
    The day will come when these apps and devices start providing turn by turn directions and voice assistance. That will be a sad day in the forest.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Turn by turn is gonna be more difficult than I think people realize, unlike roads that have established turning points, having that on the trail with a GPX route can be a bit of a challenge to get right. Not saying it won't exist, but I doubt you'll see widespread use of it when/if it does and early iterations of it will probably not work very well.

Getting lost in the woods is fun, for sure, some of my most memorable riders were due to really stupid mistakes when I first got up here (like mixing up Upper Black and Middle Black after missing the turnoff to Maxwell), but sometimes it's nice to just reference where you are quickly and see where you want to go. These days, with a business and kid at home, it's harder for me to be gone for hours and time referencing a map or being lost is time I am not riding. It's also nice for my wife, who is directionally challenged, I don't have to worry about her getting lost when she's solo. I'm more likely to find my way out than she is, we'd find her at Paris Mountain if I had to depend on her with a paper map (one time she ended up in TN trying to get to GA from SC...)

Big Mac
    Bridges add to the adventure... Its harder riding those suspension bridges across the S. Mills than it is to wade the creek. Damn near came off one at Squirrel during DD last year haha...

But technically bridges are technology... just really old technology. Give it 1000+ years and Trail Forks and MTB Project are ok in my book.
    A bridge is adventurous if it's a log. Otherwise, it's just another structure.

since 4/10/2009
    Unplug and just ride...

There are paper maps available that do an excellent job of telling you elevation, distance, etc. No way in hell I'm trusting an app or my phone to tell me where to go in remote National Forest.

Half the fun of riding somewhere new is the "newness" of it and not knowing what to expect. Grab some friends, take more food and water than you need and just go..
    1. I am not in as good of shape as most locals. I'm slow. I also have those paper maps and I use them FAR more than anything digital. However, the digital stuff can do things the paper maps can't. I wanted to see if that was worth it, because it's also annoying and a bit exhausting wondering where the next turn is when you're on a big climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    ^^^^ agreed. Keep Pisgah wild. Keep getting lost. Keep needing to stay on your toes so you can make it home. I love the wildness of Pisgah.

I've been riding in Pisgah for a few years. Done PMBAR 4 times. Really thought I knew my way around the forest, then, bam! Last week got lost exploring a new section. And it was an awesome ride. Had a map, a phone, and a compass all out to figure things out. It was just rad.

Long live the wild Pisgah.
    Getting lost is not a favorable option, esp when I'm riding with the wife. She is far less tolerant of such things than I am. I have to save the exploring for when I'm solo or with other people who are willing to tolerate my slowness. The more informed I am about the route and where the next "whatever" is, the better off I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    The day will come when these apps and devices start providing turn by turn directions and voice assistance. That will be a sad day in the forest.
    You're too late. By quite a few years. Many devices offer that kind of functionality. For trails. With far less setup than I did.

Turn by turn is gonna be more difficult than I think people realize, unlike roads that have established turning points, having that on the trail with a GPX route can be a bit of a challenge to get right. Not saying it won't exist, but I doubt you'll see widespread use of it when/if it does and early iterations of it will probably not work very well.

Getting lost in the woods is fun, for sure, some of my most memorable riders were due to really stupid mistakes when I first got up here (like mixing up Upper Black and Middle Black after missing the turnoff to Maxwell), but sometimes it's nice to just reference where you are quickly and see where you want to go. These days, with a business and kid at home, it's harder for me to be gone for hours and time referencing a map or being lost is time I am not riding. It's also nice for my wife, who is directionally challenged, I don't have to worry about her getting lost when she's solo. I'm more likely to find my way out than she is, we'd find her at Paris Mountain if I had to depend on her with a paper map (one time she ended up in TN trying to get to GA from SC...)
    Yeah, the whole idea was to see how well the Garmin did at improving the efficiency of wayfinding so I spent a little less time wayfinding and more time riding.

In the end, the Garmin worked, if you want to put it that simply. From my experience building good courses for long road rides (60-100mi), I've figured out the quirks of getting it right with RideWithGPS. Without knowing those little quirks, there's a good chance you wouldn't get as good of a result as I had. That said, it wasn't as helpful as it could have been. First off, it buzzed "off course" warnings a good bit more often than I cared for, because the map data I build the course off of (OSM data) was a touch off in spots. So there was that. What WAS nice was that it told me how far it was to the next intersection, which was actually pretty useful. It "mostly" gave the correct turn directions, but there were a couple odd ones that I only knew how to deal with because I studied maps before riding.

I actually plotted out a few different route options at home before the ride, and I found a few annoying issues with the underlying OSM map data for a couple of different trails out there that limited the utility of building a "course" prior to a ride. It didn't mean building the course was impossible, just that it added a lot more work to the process. Was it the benefit worth the work? Meh, not so much. I'll just continue to use the Garmin to record and upload to mtbproject, which is somewhat useful when the trails I'm riding have been uploaded to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ^ I had the same problems with my Garmin, I more or less quit using it for maps unless absolutely necessary. The off course warnings became distracting and annoying.

since 4/10/2009
    ^ I had the same problems with my Garmin, I more or less quit using it for maps unless absolutely necessary. The off course warnings became distracting and annoying.
    I didn't mention that the Edge 520 allows you to turn the audio notifications off, which is helpful. But I don't really care for the banner notification over the map, which I haven't seen a way to disable.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey I am also cool with dropping some big boulders across that water on lower trace (like on Reasonover in Dupont).

Throw your bike over your shoulder and hop across them rocks...like straight out of an adventure magazine

since 4/10/2009
    Hey I am also cool with dropping some big boulders across that water on lower trace (like on Reasonover in Dupont).

Throw your bike over your shoulder and hop across them rocks...like straight out of an adventure magazine
    I like that for "adventurous" better than a bridge. But the question with fast-moving mountain streams is whether they'd stay put during high flow periods.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like that for "adventurous" better than a bridge. But the question with fast-moving mountain streams is whether they'd stay put during high flow periods.
    For sure they would need to be sizable rocks and even then no guarantees they'll stay put.

Looks like the extra socks are the only way to go with this spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There's a suspension bridge over the river if you turn right on N Mills at the bottom of lower Trace. A connector would have to be built on the other side of the river to link back to the crossing, but I wish the FS would consider it. That and a bypass around the next 2 crossings on N Mills would open up some interesting dry possibilities.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    There's a suspension bridge over the river if you turn right on N Mills at the bottom of lower Trace. A connector would have to be built on the other side of the river to link back to the crossing, but I wish the FS would consider it. That and a bypass around the next 2 crossings on N Mills would open up some interesting dry possibilities.
    I explored over that way on NM trail from the crossing at lower trace and never had seen a bridge, just more water crossings?

Good to know there is a bridge around there somewhere though thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I explored over that way on NM trail from the crossing at lower trace and never had seen a bridge, just more water crossings?

Good to know there is a bridge around there somewhere though thanks
    Yeah, the trail passes through a clearing and then splits. The left, obvious trail goes through another wet crossing. To the right, just upstream, is a suspension bridge, same style as the others on the Mills:

N Mills River After Work-2015-12-13_pisgah-mills-river_north-mills-river-suspension-bridge-683x1024.jpg

That gets you to a nice campsite and another river crossing after just a few hundred yards. A connector trail would have to lead to the left back downstream.