N. Mills is F****d- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

N. Mills is F****d

Went fishing up to the reservoir this weekend and things are pretty well f****d out there... Hiked up Fletcher Cr for 100yds and there are alot of trees down and still a good few inches of snow as well.

Heck there are quite a few trees down blocking the road too. Probably going to be quite some time before its all riding at 100%.

Any workdays slated soon for the Mills to help clear trees, etc?
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Seems like a little informal support might be called for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    Seems like a little informal support might be called for.
    Its gonna take a whole hell of a lot more than PAS or the Pisgah Horsefolk to clean up this mess. Everyone who enjoys riding Pisgah will need to pitch in...

I assume Bent Creek and the more popular/easy to access areas will get love first. If there will be organized work days someone post em up!

Im going out with a hand saw and loppers and doing what I can on trails in N. Mills this weekend and over the holidays. There is a ton that can be done with just a hand saw, some elbow grease, and a few like minded friends.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    There is a ton that can be done with just a hand saw, some elbow grease, and a few like minded friends.
    So true. Unless it's a race, I always carry a folding hand-saw in my hydration pack...Very handy and virtually no weight.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Its gonna take a whole hell of a lot more than PAS or the Pisgah Horsefolk to clean up this mess. Everyone who enjoys riding Pisgah will need to pitch in...

I assume Bent Creek and the more popular/easy to access areas will get love first. If there will be organized work days someone post em up!

Im going out with a hand saw and loppers and doing what I can on trails in N. Mills this weekend and over the holidays. There is a ton that can be done with just a hand saw, some elbow grease, and a few like minded friends.
    Agreed its all a disaster for sure. Very bummed.

Looks like one has to jump through some hoops in order to use a chainsaw in Pisgah. I have a couple Stihl saws and could do some serious clearing (I have a lot of experience) but it appears I would have to take safety classes, join a club, get a bunch of PPE etc. in order to cut?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Agreed its all a disaster for sure. Very bummed.

Looks like one has to jump through some hoops in order to use a chainsaw in Pisgah. I have a couple Stihl saws and could do some serious clearing (I have a lot of experience) but it appears I would have to take safety classes, join a club, get a bunch of PPE etc. in order to cut?
    Or get a permit to harvest firewood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post

Well I don't actually mind doing the legwork for sawyer cert but not sure how long the whole process takes. Will look into it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    20 bucks at the Ranger Station. Forest Products Permit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post

So this can be used as a loophole to clear fallen trees? Hmm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    So this can be used as a loophole to clear fallen trees? Hmm...
    Anyone with a couple of saws and few of these firewood permits want to meet up in N. Mills to "gather firewood" soon?

I hear the wood is really good on Trace, Spencer, and Fletcher.
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Anyone with a couple of saws and few of these firewood permits want to meet up in N. Mills to "gather firewood" soon?

I’m down. Unfortunately I’ll be gone until early January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I'd be in for this on Saturday, possibly. I cannot do weekdays since I'm south of the border. I got a 40v Greenworks which is good for 5-6 12-14" trees. I also have a trail builder pack I use when biking in with chainsaw to get to stuff quickly.

mtbr member
    Friday>Saturday looks like another wash-out, just what we needed.

I'd be in for Sunday, although would just be with a hand saw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'd be down to help with this. I ha e a folding saw and one hand saw that does a great job of small to medium size limbs/trees.

Access is going to be the hard part, especially to Spencer Branch and the top of Trace. Maybe with warmer forecasted weather the Parkway will open soon? I've seen work crews up there over the last week working on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    I'd be down to help with this. I ha e a folding saw and one hand saw that does a great job of small to medium size limbs/trees.

Access is going to be the hard part, especially to Spencer Branch and the top of Trace. Maybe with warmer forecasted weather the Parkway will open soon? I've seen work crews up there over the last week working on it.
    Yeah, no kidding. This is as of 12/11. I've asked for an update.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post

I hiked into the resevoir up old Lower Trace and it only took 15min or so to get to the Trace Trailhead.

Getting to the saddle at Spencer/Trace and upper Fletcher will be a hike for sure...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yup.

I doubt that we'll see Wash Creek Rd open again before next Spring. It's either going to be a hike from the bottom or wait for a window of good weather and the Parkway to open up long enough to get the job done.

mtbr member
    Anyone have bike trailers? That may help get up to certain areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A reciprocating saw with a pruning blade works great on smaller stuff like mountain laurel and Rhododendrons.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So I went to the ranger station but couldn't get a firewood permit because their payment machine is broken

Bring cash if you are going to buy a permit there.

A guy took my contact info and will be in touch for upcoming sawyer certification training. The training only happens when they get enough interest. He is hoping for a January date but that is pending interest.

If you have a chainsaw and want to murder some wood with it in Pisgah then maybe go to the ranger station and give him your info asap.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    So I went to the ranger station but couldn't get a firewood permit because their payment machine is broken

Bring cash if you are going to buy a permit there.

A guy took my contact info and will be in touch for upcoming sawyer certification training. The training only happens when they get enough interest. He is hoping for a January date but that is pending interest.

If you have a chainsaw and want to murder some wood with it in Pisgah then maybe go to the ranger station and give him your info asap.
    I might give 'em a call. Got a saw. got some PPE. Got some on-the-job training last summer. Just need the paper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Which Ranger Station - Davidson River? Or can you get a firewood permit and add your name to the Sawyer cert course interest list at Bent Creek Ranger Station?
    Wild_Card

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ekizer View Post
    Which Ranger Station - Davidson River? Or can you get a firewood permit and add your name to the Sawyer cert course interest list at Bent Creek Ranger Station?
    Yes I went to Davidson River station. Not sure about Bent Creek.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ekizer View Post
    Bent Creek doesn’t have a ranger station. You may be able to get the permit at the FS headquarters on Zillicoa. Not sure, but worth a call.

since 4/10/2009
    office at Bent Creek is the Southern Research Station HQ. A bunch of scientists.

Unless you're talking about the NC Forest Service office on Sardis, which is a different agency.

I called the Davidson River office yesterday....had to leave a voicemail.

Big Mac
    And to be clear, you cannot harvest timber in Bent Creek. Period. All those scientists study that stuff in there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have gotten firewood permits the past 2 seasons. Here are some details:
    - Each Pisgah district issues permits for their own area. Therefore Ranger District permit can only be obtained from ranger station across from Davidson river
    - 6 month permit, 4 cords: $20 ($5 for each additional cord)
    - You must be there in person to buy a permit
    - Call before you head to the ranger station. Permits are currently given by a contract employee. She is there several day a week. Last year they were only given out on Mondays & wednesdays (Or some other weird schedule)
    - 'on topic' official fine print: Every adult cutting/helping must also have a permit.
    - etc

I have a firewood permit, & also a sawyer cert. I will be out of town for the holiday, but plan to get after NMR trails next week/weekend.

mtbr member
    Looks like there will be no firewood permits issued until the gubment shitshow gets resolved. Anyone make it out there today? Anything down may be there a while.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Upper Spencer - fine. Trace Ridge - fine. Lower Trace - not so fine, 4-5 large fell trees that will need chainsaws.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I did Spencer Gap from Trace Ridge to Wash Creek Road today. One thigh-sized dead tree blowdown right at the top I cleared by hand, there's a Rhodo it fell on that is across the trail that would take a handsaw about a minute to get through. Upper upper trace from BRP to SB is also clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    I did Spencer Gap from Trace Ridge to Wash Creek Road today. One thigh-sized dead tree blowdown right at the top I cleared by hand, there's a Rhodo it fell on that is across the trail that would take a handsaw about a minute to get through. Upper upper trace from BRP to SB is also clear.
    Awesome! Thank you! Any idea how Fletcher is looking?

What does a bean mean?!
    Everyone chip in and we can take care of the easier small stuff and let the Forest Service focus on the big 'uns.

I like to ride with one of these in my pack this time of the year. Pretty light and very effective: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Corona-Razo...ng-Saw/3006129

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    I did BC today and saw a couple of big trees down as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you will go to pisgahareasorba's website and enter these into a trail issue form, it will que in the sawyers to the locations of these trees. As soon as the government shutdown is lifted, then a volunteer crew can go and take care of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wash creek still closed?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ross86 View Post
    Wash creek still closed?
    gubmint has been shut down for a week. who would open it?