Myrtle Beach.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Myrtle Beach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Myrtle Beach.

I'm heading there in about 2-3 weeks and whenever I go down, I bring the bike so I can commute to/from the nearest Bi-Lo right along Rt 17. I got to thinking, well damn, maybe I can find a trail?

Any suggestions close by? Or are they hard to come by that close at the beach?

MTBR Member
    Hard to come by. There's a decent trail up in Wilmington, NC - Blue Clay Trail; lots of short ups and downs and heavily rooted; about 7 miles worth of trail....http://www.sirbikesalot.com - a little far, but may be worth the trip for you.

There is a newish trail being built in the MB area - near Coastal Carolina. I can't remember the name and have never been there.

edit: check this link for the CCU trails: http://forums.singletracks.com/viewt...hp?f=88&t=4663

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was down there for 2 weeks in June. I didn't ride the trails, but I hear that they have a few. IMBA helped build one last Spring. I stopped in at a local bike shop and asked. They pointed me to two but I didn't end up making it out.

Still surfin in my 60's.
    You do not want to ride a bike on 17, unless you have death wish.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Branch Biker
    You do not want to ride a bike on 17, unless you have death wish.
    LOL - I hear that one. There's a Bi-Lo somewhere along Rt 17, and I ride in the back roads between 17 and the beach, which in there is where my hotel is. I have it mapped out so when I ride to Bi-Lo, I simply cross 17 and there I am.

I know it's a crazy road, but with a wide median it makes it (somewhat) easy to get across, one step at a time.

Reluctant Clydesdale.....
    May 2009
    I was just in MB for a week, and was in need of detox after not riding for the whole seven days!!!! Then in the Sunday paper an article on a local trail!! Here's the link, with a video as well. Not what I'm used to being from Virginia, but it is great to have the option now when on vacation!!

Also found a website for the local trail group....

A reference for distance - Google states it is about 13 miles from Broadway at the Beach, a location most travelers know in MB... Jim
    2010 Fuji Tahoe 29 SL - bike # 6 in the clydesdale torture test lab

Team Martin
    Good stuff!

mtbr member
    check out the wildlife refuge at the end of Jackson Bluff Road.
    waccamawtrailblazers.web.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I will say this again. Myrtle Beach is home to one of the best kept secret: A mountain bike trail smack near downtown. It's located by the YMCA on 62nd avenue. It's kept as such because people want to be politically correct. Bring your mountain bike, you wont regret.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehidalgo01 View Post
    I will say this again. .

So will I...

Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Maybe Myrtle Beach needs it's own forum on MTBR. 5 threads on this one apparently isn't enough.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    "Age Factor", not even an issue. Trying to find the perfect pic... got distracted. Your simple comment beat me to it.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Maybe you guys can show me how to do that. I'm not so good at it. I just keep seeing the same post about the waccamaw trails being the only trails in Myrtle Beach.
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do any of you live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and happen to own a mountain bike?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is the trail...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the info. I had heard of the trail out by the community college, but not this one. Folks have a place in South Myrtle that I get to occasionally. I'll check this out sometime. It will be nice to have some way to work off the extra seafood and beer that always happens to me at the beach.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Roger, I have ridden in that trail next to the community college. That is a walking trail that has been used by mountain bikers. It hasn't changed in the past two years and nothing has been done to it. It's not raked, it's not maintained. So when i ride there i don't feel i'm riding a "trail." This is the video Mountain Biking at Myrtle Beach - YouTube Although i am thankful for having as many trails as possible near Myrtle Beach the reality is that none existed in Myrtle Beach or at least no one had shared information about the Pits. 2.4 miles of singletrack out in conway is not a trail. For a lot of years people have settled for having only 2.4 mile which there were happy. I moved to Myrtle Beach in October with the idea of changing the status quo.

So the consensus now is that we have trails in Myrtle Beach although some of the club presidents are scaring people into no riding in the place we have been riding for 30 years. A lot of development took most of the trails out. They trails have magically made their way back. If you live in Myrtle Beach you don't even have to drive for the most part to get to the trail. This trail will definitely make you burn off those extra calories. It's only 4.2 miles but every mile is full of technical riding. So i say come down and here and check them out. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Members who have read this thread: 0