On my way to Asheville- Mtbr.com
    Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

On my way to Asheville

I should be there on 10/10/14. Staying for 2-weeks. Looking for places to ride and people to ride with. Both mtb and road. I like to ride up hill as much as down. Moderately technical. No cliffs or large drops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'd maybe suggest the Blue Ridge Parkway for road. Good news is, you'll be here during the peak of the leaf season. Bad news is, you'll be here during the peak of the leaf season. Parkway will be packed.

Maybe a bad suggestion sending you into a bunch of out-o-towners gawking at the vistas instead of the road.

Mtbike, Bent Creek, Pisgah, Dupont... no shortage of trails of all difficulty levels.

Rogue Exterminator
    More bad news, you will be here the weekend of the Red Bull Dream Line event being held next to DuPont at the Bike Farm so traffic in to DuPont might be a b!tch on the 11th. Any other day should be fine though. Also after the 15th, all the seasonal mountain bike trails open back up in Pisgah that is good.

Probably wouldn't recommend too much road biking on the parkway knowing it is leaf season.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    +1 on the seasonal trails. Bennett Gap is a must ride.

For the road, skip the Parkway. Too many people not paying attention this time of year unless you can get in a mid week ride. Then the traffic isn't so bad. If you're in Asheville, ride Town Mountain or Elk Mountain Scenic Hwy (at least most of the traffic is local). In Henderson County, lots of options: Watershed (old HWY 25)/Saluda, Pinnacle Mountain, Bearwallow.

mtbr member
    Pisgah trails are all good. Although I dont know what your idea of "moderately technical" means. A few of them can be pretty eye opening for those who arent used to steep, fast, and rocky. Where ya coming from? Maybe someone can give comparisons to your local fare.

As far as road goes... I would avoid the parkway unless you hit it mid day on a weekday. Its bad enough when there isnt an overload of tourists not paying attention to the road. The Elk Mtn/Town Mtn. loop is great in both directions (up Elk if you want more climbing) and out toward Riceville and Lester is nice too.

Let us know how it goes...
    On your left!

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    The good news is i am on vacation and can ride every day if i choose to, and i do. The bad news is i am on vacation and my wife will kill me if i get hurt so i am not going to push it. If i am uncomfortable with a section i will hike it. I am a fairly strong climber but my technical DH skills are just ok. I am an XC rider who likes some All Mtn stuff to spice things up. Thanks for pointing out the areas but help linking sections to get a longer 2-3+ hour ride would be great.

I will be there tomorrow. Who wants to ride?

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I am in Asheville. Depending on weather, I am going to ride mtb tomorrow(Sat). Probably Bent Creek. I am staying at RV park near Biltmore so will ride down Brevard to Bent Creek. So as not to ruin trails. if mud I will stay on gravel. Depending on weather I may switch to road and do Elk or Town mtn. I would love some company.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am out tomorrow. May do a short ride in Pisgah early in the morning before the Redbull Dreamline but I don't know.

Might hit Pisgah on Sunday or if the weather is still looking shady, DuPont instead.

Let me know if you are interested.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.