MTBing in NC State Parks – Action Alert- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MTBing in NC State Parks – Action Alert

This week, the North Carolina Park System is soliciting comments on the 2009 Systemwide Plan for North Carolina State Parks. This plan’s current draft under-represents the significant interest and activity related to off-road cycling in NC. If you want the plan to include more MTB access in state parks and other state lands, then this week is your opportunity to review the current draft and submit comments.

Deadline for comments is Oct 31, 2009.

The current draft of the 2009 Systemwide Plan can be downloaded from: http://www.ncparks.gov/News/media_ro..._Syst_Plan.pdf

Your comments can be submitted by several methods:
    Online: http://149.168.1.195/summit/sys_plan_comment.php
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Mail: Systemwide Plan Comments
    NC Division of Parks and Recreation
    1615 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-1615

More info on this and suggestions for talking points in support of greater MTB access can be found here:
    http://www.torc-nc.org/2009/10/actio...t-for-comment/

29er zealot
    Thanks for posting this up SlipperyPete!

Oct 2009
    Submitted a comment, thanks for letting us know

pronounced may-duh
    This is an extremely important plan that effects lots of areas of the state. Not everybody in NC has the luxury of living right next to a national forest. Some of the most populated areas in the state have only state parks as their resource for public land. The NC state parks have historically been very much opposed to the idea of mtn bike access to trails. This is our chance to weight in on the policy discussion. Please let the park policy makers know that we want more mtn bike access to our state parks. Even if you don't live near a state park please help your fellow riders who do.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Chimney Rock State Park, formerly "Hickory Nut Gorge" State Park is a perfect example. Conversancy's donated boatloads of land to the park system to create it and they made Chimney Rock the centerpiece of it. There is so much land there that is perfect for some all day mountain biking!!!
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for posting this. As stated earlier, it is very important we let Raleigh know there is a sizable population desiring MTB trails in NC. Below are some excerpts from the 2009 Parks System plan linked in the original post. Definitely, earlier action and response has put us on the map, but continued pressure is needed to open up more terrain!

from http://www.ncparks.gov/News/media_ro..._Syst_Plan.pdf

• Use of mountain bicycles, personalized water craft, and all-terrain/off highway
    vehicles has increased dramatically in the state. Pressure to provide opportunities for
    use within state park units has increased.

• Emphasis on a variety of opportunities such as interpretation, biking, walking,
    swimming, and lodging at a specific location may encourage visitation.

The survey found the five most popular facilities in the park system to be: 1. Hiking
    Trails (79.5% would use), 2. Nature Trails (74.1% would use), 3. Picnic Table with Grill
    (68.4% would use), 4. Multi-Use Trail (61.2% would use), and 5. Observation Decks
    (61.0% would use). (Table 4-8)

The five least popular facilities were: 1. Equestrian Trails (65.1% would not use), 2.
    Recreation Vehicles (RV)/Trailer campsite with hook-ups (59.5% would not use), 3.
    Marina (52.2% would not use), 4. Playground (41.8% would not use), and 5. Boat
    Ramp/Dock (36.5% would not use).

The survey asked the participants to rank the top five park facilities that they most
    wanted in state parks. The highest ranked facility was Mountain Bike Trails, with 19.9%
    of survey respondents selecting this facility as the highest priority. Hiking Trails were
    selected as the second (16.3%), third (12.7%), and fourth (7.9%) priority facility to have
    in a state park. The fifth highest priority facility was Museum/Educational Exhibit, with
    6.9% selecting this option.

mtbr member
    Took literally 30 seconds for me to submit an on-line opinion.
    You don't have to write a thesis document- just let them know you support the inclusion of MTB's in the state parks recreational trail system where appropriate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would hope that each and every NC mountain bike club would send in a comment on official letterhead supporting increased mtn bike trails.

I will pen a letter in the next day or so and address the same impacts as hiking issue and come from the professional trail consultant angle.

Woody

mtbr member
    woodman-that was done by PAS, at least, and I agree that groups should send in more formal comments via a medium other than the on-line tool.

As an individual, however, I just submitted a much less formal personal comment through the on-line tool- it's so quick and easy that there's no reason for individuals not to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [QUOTE=Mike Brown]woodman-that was done by PAS, at least, and I agree that groups should send in more formal comments via a medium other than the on-line tool.

Glad to learn than PAS has commented via letter. Did you also ask SORBA main and IMBA to pen a letter?

mtbr member
    I got no clue. All I know is I got an e-mail saying we'd sent something.

pronounced may-duh
    [QUOTE=Woodman]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    woodman-that was done by PAS, at least, and I agree that groups should send in more formal comments via a medium other than the on-line tool.

Glad to learn than PAS has commented via letter. Did you also ask SORBA main and IMBA to pen a letter?
    Paul Elliot (The pres of TORC) has contacted IMBA and SORBA to get them involved. I don't know how much help we can expect but they did send out an announcement to the IMBA members in the southeast.

Good to hear that PAS has sent in a letter. I did not know that.

mtbr member
    Most of the local clubs throughout the state have been contacted, as well as some of our friends across the borders (SVMBA, etc.).

As others have said, write a little, write a lot, either way this is a chance to have your voice heard if you support more MTBing on state lands. Fortunately, its a voice that's starting to be heard. Here's an excerpt from the plan regarding past survey comments:

"The largest number of responses on the survey from a recreation-specific user group was from mountain bikers. The survey found that while although only 39.3% people surveyed would ride mountain bikes in state parks, mountain bike trails were by far the most requested facility-type – with 19.9% of people surveyed choosing this facility as their highest priority to develop in state parks. The 2007 NSRE found that within the previous year, 15.7% of North Carolinians participated in mountain biking. The comments on the survey from the mountain biking community were numerous.

"The major themes emerging from the comments were: more mountain biking trails are needed – particularly in areas near centers of population; the mountain biking community is sizeable and organized; mountain biking can be low impact use on properly designed trails; single-track trails on natural surfaces with a wide variety of trail types, difficulties, and length are preferred; and there are many groups such as: the Tarheel Trailblazers, Brushy Mountain Cyclists, Greensboro Fat Tire Society, Triangle Off-Road Cyclists, International Mountain Biking Association, and the Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association are available and willing to contribute financially and also through volunteer work to help design, build, and maintain mountain bike trails.

"The vast majority of park-specific comments received from this user group were directed to William B. Umstead State Park where mountain bikers were unhappy with the wide gravel road experience and noted that new single-track trails (or conversion of existing trails) at the park were desired. Several mountain bikers applauded the division’s collaboration with the mountain biking community on the design and construction of the
    single-track trail network at Lake Norman State Park."

If you have already submitted comments, thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Deadline for comments is Oct 31, 2009.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Didejuiff
    Здорово! Перелопатил кучу сайтов, пока набрел на ваш. Актуальная информация, отличные публикации! Все свидетельствует о том, что над ресурсом работают фанаты своего дела. Обратите внимание на портал EvolutionTehnical -сайт: ручные технологии, такой же тематики. Может что то Вам пригодится со страниц портала.
    all the russian mail order brides have been taken, sorry.

I have heard MUM is free though.

mtbr member
    我會希望每一個 NC 登山車俱樂部會提交對支援日益提高的 mtn 腳踏車的正式的信頭的一個評論蔓延。
    我在隔天將寫一封信左右和處理與遠足問題相同的影響和源自專業的痕跡顧問角。

mtbr member
    Just Kidding..

Sent mine in too..

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by bus_142

Available and "free" are not the same thing.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I took a vow of celibacy years ago - couldn't find a man to clean the leaves out of my yard.

This thread re-visited because....? Oh, yeah - the write in votes just arrived.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Just sent mine in. Hell, I live in SC and we cant ride in most of our State Parks.

pronounced may-duh
    You guys do know this thread is very old. The deadline for comments was 10/31/09.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    You guys do know this thread is very old. The deadline for comments was 10/31/09.
    HAHAHHAHAHHAHA, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh AHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Its hard to read an entire thread and pay attention to dates and stuff!!!

wait a second, HAHAHHAHAHHAHA OHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by bus_142

Golden
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Members who have read this thread: 0