• 03-14-2011
    bondek
    Moving To SC, advise on where to live
    I'm moving the Shaw Air Force Base (Sumter, SC). Any advise on what town I should move to that are close to Mt. Bike Trails? Also anybody know any good Mountain Bike Books for SC
  • 03-14-2011
    mikeridesabike
    Shaw is east of Columbia. They have some good trails in Columbia at Harbison State Forest. FATS and the other CSRA trails are south of Columbia in the N. Augusta area. I don't know of anything close to the base, but I live on the other end of the state.

    Bring your sweatband.
  • 03-14-2011
    wooglin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Shaw is east of Columbia. They have some good trails in Columbia at Harbison State Forest. FATS and the other CSRA trails are south of Columbia in the N. Augusta area. I don't know of anything close to the base, but I live on the other end of the state.

    Bring your sweatband.

    FATS and the CSRA are 1.2hrs WEST of Columbia. If you'll be at Shaw your local trails are at Manchester State Forest, which is within about 20 minutes from the main gate I'd guess. There are three loops out there, the main one of which is Killer 3. About 10 miles. Not horribly challenging, but fast fast fast and a lot of fun. The whole place is about 20 miles I think. There's a regular Sunday 1:30PM ride that you can hook up with.
  • 03-15-2011
    Jwind
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bondek
    I'm moving the Shaw Air Force Base (Sumter, SC). Any advise on what town I should move to that are close to Mt. Bike Trails? Also anybody know any good Mountain Bike Books for SC

    No good books that I am aware of. They way I see it you have 3 options where to live.

    1.live in the Rosewood area of Columbia. You'll be closer more things, closer to harbison (25minutes) but you'll have a 40 minute commute.

    2. Live in lower Richland somwhere off of Garners Ferry. I'm new to the area too but there is a guy on my soccer team that lives in eastover and likes it. ~15-30 minutes depending on where you live. You'll be about the same to manchester.

    3. Live in or around Sumter. My GF works in the ER in sumter 3x a week. I would never live in Sumter. Of course, you'll be close to Shaw and lots of strip malls, chains and churches.
  • 03-16-2011
    mtnbikefj
    Manchester SF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wooglin
    FATS and the CSRA are 1.2hrs WEST of Columbia. If you'll be at Shaw your local trails are at Manchester State Forest, which is within about 20 minutes from the main gate I'd guess. There are three loops out there, the main one of which is Killer 3. About 10 miles. Not horribly challenging, but fast fast fast and a lot of fun. The whole place is about 20 miles I think. There's a regular Sunday 1:30PM ride that you can hook up with.

    I had a blast in Manchester, fun ride!